Help keep Bob Huggins in Cincinnati

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='Claptonrocks' date='May 13 2005, 11:59 PM']I signed it... My question is who in the hell are they going to bring in that is better than Huggins? He's a big name with a record at Cincinnati that is unparalleled..
He's addressed his drinking problem and has rid the team of players that don't abide by the rules..
The timing is awful... Going into the Big East the team needs his recruiting and coaching skills for than ever...
I think the president has a personal vendetta against him......
Im an Ohio State fan but I can appreciate a coach that's taken a basketball program and made them into a powerhouse that's recognized nationwide...
Keep the man there.... He's earned it and deserves it.
[right][post="92185"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

In my searches for stats on UK, I found a very interesting one. UC is in the top ten in wins for this decade as well. Granted UC's competition hasnt been all that great, but the wins are undenyable. They would be fools not to resign him.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='BengalBacker' date='May 14 2005, 01:10 AM']I'm a Dayton fan and I really couldn't care less about the Bearcats, but college coaches have a fine line they have to walk. They're expected to win, but do it with saint-like integrity. It's hard to do both.

I think getting rid of Huggins would be a huge blow to their basketball program. You can't ignore his results, even if you do question his methods.
[right][post="92194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

"Saint like integrity" is a load of dookie. Keeping your program in the Sports section is all that is asked for. Coaches getting DUIs after massive heart attacks is bad. Players assaulting students (Donald Little) is bad. Players carrying guns is way bad. No one has asked Huggins to be a saint. They've asked him to stop embarrasing the school. They asked him to do that when his knock was not graduating students. Things have only gotten worse. Results aren't enough to justify the slide of his and the team's image. He's a good coach, a questionable person, and a lousy judge of character. Let the chips fall where they may. I think Huggins will coach out this year and then the program will jump on a hot coaching candidate for next year. They missed out this past year because the timing was wrong.

Huggins isn't bad by any means, but I think we can do better. With all the cash UC is dumping into it's campus and Clifton to up it's appeal and image, it's only logical they want better from their athletic departments too. Let's face it. UC is only known as the place for JuCo's to get a shot at the pros.

People act like we have to have integrity or a good coach. Why the hell can't we have both? Lot's of schools manage that very feet all the time.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' date='May 14 2005, 02:34 PM']I would like this to hang around here in the Bengals thread for a couple to allow the UC fans time to see it and respond. It will be moved eventually. Is dat cool with everyone?
[right][post="92335"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

That's why I haven't moved it.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='mongoloido' date='May 14 2005, 02:33 PM']"Saint like integrity" is a load of dookie. Keeping your program in the Sports section is all that is asked for. Coaches getting DUIs after massive heart attacks is bad. Players assaulting students (Donald Little) is bad. Players carrying guns is way bad. No one has asked Huggins to be a saint. They've asked him to stop embarrasing the school. They asked him to do that when his knock was not graduating students. Things have only gotten worse. Results aren't enough to justify the slide of his and the team's image. He's a good coach, a questionable person, and a lousy judge of character. Let the chips fall where they may. I think Huggins will coach out this year and then the program will jump on a hot coaching candidate for next year. They missed out this past year because the timing was wrong.

Huggins isn't bad by any means, but I think we can do better. With all the cash UC is dumping into it's campus and Clifton to up it's appeal and image, it's only logical they want better from their athletic departments too. Let's face it. UC is only known as the place for JuCo's to get a shot at the pros.
People act like we have to have integrity or a good coach. Why the hell can't we have both? Lot's of schools manage that very feet all the time.
[right][post="92334"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I don't argue with most of that, and like I said, I'm not a fan of the Bearcats or Huggins. Most schools do at least hope for the appearance of saint-like integrity and winning. Huggins has definitely gone way past anything close to saint-like integrity. No argument there. I was talking more in general terms, rather than Huggins in particular.

No, he shouldn't automatically have a job forever. Bob Knight is a prime example of that. All I'm saying is that Huggins DID bring the Bearcats into national prominence. Maybe in the shittiest way possible, but he was successful.

Fire him for all I care. He IS the reason you'll be joining the Big East though, and I do think you'll win fewer games without him. At least until a new coach is established for a couple of years. I guess it comes down to which is more important. Winning or integrity. Dayton has had a lot of integrity over the years (although we've had incidents too) and that's something to be proud of. Making the dance every year sure would be nice too though.

Guest oldschooler
UC has a higher Academic Progress
Rating than UK, Connecticut, Kansas and Louisville.
That means he is graduating more of his players than
Tubby Smith, Jim Calhoun and Rick Pitino.

UC: 916
UK: 827
Louisville: 833
Connecticut: 852
Kansas: 780

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2005-03-01-apr-analysis_x.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/200...-analysis_x.htm[/url]

Huggins has a career record of 399-127 in 16 seasons with the Bearcats. His teams have qualified for 14 straight NCAA Tournaments.

That doesn`t look like the resume of a man that should be fired...

Guest Claptonrocks
That averages out to around 25-8 a season plus going to the tournament 14 straight years....Not too shabby...
Thanks for the info on the graduation rate...With all the negativity being thrown at him its good to see some of the positives as well...
So I say ..find a coach that can average over 25 wins a year and replace Huggins!

Guest 34inXXIII
[quote name='oldschooler' date='May 14 2005, 02:03 PM']UC has a higher Academic Progress
Rating than UK, Connecticut, Kansas  and Louisville.
That means he is graduating more of his players than
Tubby Smith, Jim Calhoun and Rick Pitino.

UC: 916
UK: 827
Louisville: 833
Connecticut: 852
Kansas: 780[/quote]

30th - 40th percentile.

Nice. So he's graduating more players than schools that are bad at graduating players. Once again, a great comparison. He's not even graduating half of his players. At least the other schools have gotten to the Final Four or even won a National Championship in the last decade.

As long as Huggy gets those 25 wins each year though - regardless of how early in the season they are - that's all that matter, I guess.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='34inXXIII' date='May 14 2005, 02:30 PM']30th - 40th percentile.

Nice.  So he's graduating more players than schools that are bad at graduating players.  Once again, a great comparison.  He's not even graduating half of his players.  At least the other schools have gotten to the Final Four or even won a National Championship in the last decade.

As long as Huggy gets those 25 wins each year though - regardless of how early in the season they are - that's all that matter, I guess.
[right][post="92350"][/post][/right][/quote]

Having a coach we KNOW that is going to get us 25 wins and a trip to the
Dance is awful...he shouldn`t be coaching at alll...:roll:

You act like having 14 straight NCAA Tournament appearances and
averaging 25 wins over 16 seasons is something "easy" to do.
And how do you get 25 wins "early in the season" ? :huh:

Guest CTBengalsFan
[quote name='34inXXIII' date='May 14 2005, 02:02 AM']Wow, you found 3.  That's what...about half of a Huggins recruiting class?

And please tell me which of those three taped their roomate to a lawn chair, then beat, burned & stabbed him.
[right][post="92244"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

THAT was fucking weird.

Guest 34inXXIII

[quote name='oldschooler' date='May 14 2005, 05:37 PM']how do you get 25 wins "early in the season" ?  :huh:
[right][post="92380"][/post][/right][/quote]

Let's see...by choking in both he conference & NCAA tournaments (in other words, when it matter most for "great" programs that are supposed to be national powers).

The more I think about it, the more I want him to stay. That way, Huggins would get his shot at the Big East so we might have an answer to this issue. I sincerely believe the program will decline is such a strong basketball conference under Huggins, but I could at least be proven wrong if he remains on the bench. The alternative, of course, would be to see Huggins let go and have to put up with all the brilliant "feminazi" psycho-babble and claims that Huggins would have steamrolled through the Big East on his way to a National Championship...what would have been his second if Kenyon Martin hadn't broken his leg.

Regardless, at least we got quite a lengthy conversation out of this. Whatever it takes to get through the Bengals' offseason so we can finally see the return to power of the team that really matters in Cincinnati.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='May 14 2005, 12:00 AM']bullshit.
He has dug his own grave.  He's taken too many chances on too may players with potential "character issues" and now with the new UC President, it has finally bit him in the fat ass, his recent "transformation" after his own brush with the law (not to mention life and death--he's lucky to be alive!) notwithstanding.

Huggs is a good coach that took too many chances on players with talent but problems.  The new UC prez is right to consider buying out Hugg's contract because the school should be as equally known, and financially supported by (and IS) it's academic/medical/hospital program as it is by the basketball program, that, while it generates the most revenue out of all it's athletic departments, should not overshadow the fact that UC is a SCHOOL first, and a place to play B-ball SECOND....I'm not sure Huggs ever got that...the guy with the gun on campus (for WHAT?) was the last straw...

Anyway, it's a moot point because UC is destined to be the Vanderbilt of the Big East regardless of Hugg's presence next season...mark my words, they will struggle...
[right][post="92187"][/post][/right][/quote]

go back to kentucky redneck.... :rolleyes:

Wow, I'm surprised this thread has stayed in this forum as long as it has.

Back in March when UC lost in Round 2 again, I was starting to wonder if it was time for Huggins to go. Now that it seems like that is a real possibility, I am completely opposed to it.

When I was a kid, I was an IU fan, because UC sucked. Even when I was a UC student, through my pre-junior year (Engineering is a 5 year program), I was an IU fan.

Then Huggins came to town. During my Junior year, Huggs turned the program around, and I became a UC fan. During my Senior year, UC went to the Final 4. The next year, the Elite 8. UC has not had a losing season since Huggins came to town. Even Duke has had a losing season since then.

Part 2 to follow.

Part 2

No, Huggins doesn't have a great graduation rate, but that's mostly because JuCo kids count against you [b]NO MATTER HOW WELL THEY DO IN SCHOOL.[/b]

Yes, Huggins has taken some risks on kids other schools wouldn't. But most of the time it works out well. Yeah, there have been a couple bad apples, but just about every school has had 1 or 2 of those.

[b]PLEASE BRING BACK HUGGINS![/b]

Dammit, why can't I make long posts? Everytime I try to post something longer than the window, I get an error message!

[quote name='Jason' date='May 15 2005, 09:43 AM']Dammit, why can't I make long posts?  Everytime I try to post something longer than the window, I get an error message!
[right][post="92490"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i get that on my blackberry, but its a cell phone for for chist sake... i can type a bloody novel on here.....

does anyone else have this problem?

Just in case you like to email ZIMPHERBITCH here is a link to her UC web page ath the bottom is a link to her email. [url="http://www.uc.edu/president/biography.html"]ZIMPHERBITCH[/url]

Also here is a link to the board of trustees. [url="http://www.uc.edu/trustees/"]Trustees[/url]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/26.gif[/img]

Guest BadassBengal
I've just now heard of this, and I hope they ship his ass off. Actually, I hope UC just blows up. I hate the whole program. Go MEMPHIS!!!

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='May 15 2005, 08:58 PM']I've just now heard of this, and I hope they ship his ass off. Actually, I hope UC just blows up. I hate the whole program. Go MEMPHIS!!!
[right][post="92638"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

too bad penny got schooled by van exel his whole college career.... BITCH! i dont care if you were like 5 then... SCHOOLED BITCH! SCHOOLED!

[quote name='GoBengals' date='May 15 2005, 11:58 PM']too bad penny got schooled by van exel his whole college career.... BITCH!  i dont care if you were like 5 then... SCHOOLED BITCH! SCHOOLED!
[right][post="92681"][/post][/right][/quote]

:ninja: [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] :ninja:

[quote name='GoBengals' date='May 15 2005, 11:58 PM']too bad penny got schooled by van exel his whole college career.... BITCH!  i dont care if you were like 5 then... SCHOOLED BITCH! SCHOOLED!
[right][post="92681"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It was amazing how well UC defended "Penny" when he was at Memphis.

Guest BadassBengal
How's Steve Logan doing in the league? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Archived