Trade Offer

mani85

I was offered Calvin Johnson, Shonn Greene, and Ladainian Tomlinson for the entire SD Backfield consisting of R. Mathews, D. Sproles, and Mike Tolbert. My starting lineup is listed below. Should i make this deal or should i just hold steady in the hopes that bowe and steve smith(NYG) will come around?
QB-Matt Shaub
WR-D. Bowe
WR-Steve Smith(NYG)
WR-Mike Sims-Walker
RB-Ryan Mathews
RB-Cedric Benson(You know i had to have Ceddy)
TE-Brent Celek

[quote name='mani85' timestamp='1285178547' post='921611']
I was offered Calvin Johnson, Shonn Greene, and Ladainian Tomlinson for the entire SD Backfield consisting of R. Mathews, D. Sproles, and Mike Tolbert. My starting lineup is listed below. Should i make this deal or should i just hold steady in the hopes that bowe and steve smith(NYG) will come around?
QB-Matt Shaub
WR-D. Bowe
WR-Steve Smith(NYG)
WR-Mike Sims-Walker
RB-Ryan Mathews
RB-Cedric Benson(You know i had to have Ceddy)
TE-Brent Celek
[/quote]

I also have Mcfadden, Forsett, and M. Barber on my bench.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1285179212' post='921613']
Id do it...but if Mcfadden keeps it up id consider starting him.
[/quote]

Yeah, i started McFadden last week and sat Ceddy against Baltimore. I will probably sit Mathews this week and play McFadden if i dont make the trade, but i am strongly leaning towards making the deal.

It's called a "handcuff". You do that only when you've got a good RB who gets his #s as much due to the system he plays in as his own talent level. An example would be the Denver RBs of about 5-7 years ago - anybody you stick back there was guaranteed 1100 yards and 12 TDs. If you have a RB like that and the luxury of enough depth at other positions to afford to spend a roster spot on a handcuff, you do it.

Ryan Mathews is in that situation. Many rosters with Mathews also have Darren Sproles, who was SUPPOSEDLY RB2 in San Diego this year. But with Mathews sitting out much of last week's game and Tolbert getting all the carries, there was a crush to get him as well. That one owner has all three RBs is unusual, and I don't see Sproles having much if any value since he is not Mathews' replacement, but I can understand how they'd all end up on the same roster.

I have Mathews in two of my leagues. I had Sproles. I am hoping to get Tolbert during tonight's waiver wire run.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1285181785' post='921625']
I never understood picking up backup RB's of guys you already have unless you think there's a high chance they will get injured.
[/quote]

My league is 24 rounds and it is a keeper league. Any player drafted in the 7th round and beyond can be kept subtracting three rounds from their draft spot the previous year. For example, i picked up Mike Sims-Walker off of waivers last year. Being that our draft is 24 rounds, i subtracted three from 24 and was able to keep him in the 21st round this year. We are able to do this w/ three players. The bad part about me needing a receiver is that i actually kept D. Bowe(11th), Steve Smith(12th), and Sims-Walker(21st) and didnt think i was going to need a receiver. I guess my point is w/ writing this and to respond to your above post is that in a league this deep w/ so many players gone from the player pool, it is a good idea to definitely have your backups if they are capable on your team. Mike Tolbert, in my opinion, would f'in rumber if Mathews went down for a significant amount of time. He is also a restricted free agent at the end of the year(think Michael Turner a couple years back) which is also playing into my decision and also into the decision of the guy that is trying to trade for him. Anyway, man did i ramble, thanks for responding.

[quote name='mani85' timestamp='1285182403' post='921628']
My league is 24 rounds and it is a keeper league. Any player drafted in the 7th round and beyond can be kept subtracting three rounds from their draft spot the previous year. For example, i picked up Mike Sims-Walker off of waivers last year. Being that our draft is 24 rounds, i subtracted three from 24 and was able to keep him in the 21st round this year. We are able to do this w/ three players. The bad part about me needing a receiver is that i actually kept D. Bowe(11th), Steve Smith(12th), and Sims-Walker(21st) and didnt think i was going to need a receiver. I guess my point is w/ writing this and to respond to your above post is that in a league this deep w/ so many players gone from the player pool, it is a good idea to definitely have your backups if they are capable on your team. Mike Tolbert, in my opinion, would f'in rumber if Mathews went down for a significant amount of time. He is also a restricted free agent at the end of the year(think Michael Turner a couple years back) which is also playing into my decision and also into the decision of the guy that is trying to trade for him. Anyway, man did i ramble, thanks for responding.
[/quote]

Also, i forgot to mention, we play 6 idp as well which also plays a part in having 24 rounds.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1285180281' post='921621']
Do you have a swing spot and do you get individual points for 'teams play? If so that would add to Sproles value.

I think I'd take the trade, you need to upgrade at WR.
[/quote]

I my othe league we have a flex spot but not in this one. We also do not count teams play either.

I am in a keeper league that uses contracts.

Basics: 16 rounds, keeper cost is a pick ONE round earlier next year than the round drafted this year. Undrafted players picked up on waivers are assumed to have been selected in the 9th round (therefore their cost = round 8). Drafted players that are dropped and later picked-up use their original draft round OR round 9, whichever is earlier.

Contracts: Trade deadline is week 10. When trade deadline is reached, you have to select which players you are putting "under contract". You have 10 years' worth of contracts to distribute among your 16 players as you see fit - you can sign one player for 10 years, or 10 for 1 year, or any combination in between that totals to 10 years. Players under contract may be kept, non-contract players cannot. Next summer you decide which contracted players you are keeping and announce them by 7/31. Contract players not kept are released to the draft pool and their contract years are returned to the owner. Kept players' contracts are decremented by one year and those used years are also returned to the owner. These years are available to the owner to issue under new contracts by week 10 of that season. Contracts CANNOT be extended - when a contract reaches zero that player will become a free agent after the season. Contracts CAN be terminated by dropping a player, but we have a "wash rule" that prohibits owners from picking up a dropped contract player until 14 days have elapsed (this prevents owners from stripping contracts from their players by doing a quick drop/add.) Contract players' keeper costs accelerate each year - a 7th rounder this year costs a 6th round pick next year, a 5th rounder the year after, and so forth.

Archived