Marvin Lewis: Carson Palmer Doesn't Need To Worry About Calling Time Outs

[size="5"][b]Marvin Lewis: Carson Palmer Doesn't Need To Worry About Calling Time Outs [/b]
[/size]by [url="http://www.sbnation.com/users/Josh%20Kirkendall"][b][color="#d8431a"]Josh Kirkendall[/color][/b][/url] on [url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2010/12/7/1861554/marvin-lewis-carson-palmer-doesnt-need-to-worry-about-calling-time"][b][color="#000000"]Dec 7, 2010 12:40 PM EST[/color][/b][/url] in [url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/section/Analysis"][b][color="#000000"]Analysis[/color][/b][/url]

The use of the team's final timeout against the New Orleans Saints has come under a lot of scrutiny during the past few days. With 22 seconds left in the game, a four-point deficit and 51 yards to win the game, Carson Palmer connected with Brian Leonard on a 14-yard screen pass. With direction to spike the football, rather than using their final timeout, Palmer brought the offense to the line. As they were still lining up, the Bengals finally called a timeout with eight seconds left in the game, watching between 7-8 seconds tick needlessly away.

Bengals head coach Marvin [url="http://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=bengals.xml"][b][color="#d8431a"]Lewis called in at Dickmann's during Bengals Line on Monday Night[/color][/b][/url]. Lance McAlister asked the reasonable question, "Coach, is it reasonable then for fans to wonder how a quarterback in his eighth year who is the face of the franchise making $100 million, doesn't call timeouts?"

"Because he doesn't need to worry about that," replied Lewis. "He needs to go on to the next play because he's directing guys to get lined up. And for him to have to worry about 'do I need to call a timeout or not' he's not looking at the entire picture of that whole situation. There's a lot more into it than that and that's the way we've always practiced it and that's the way we go about it and frankly, that's the way every team in the NFL goes about it."

The question before, Lance asked if the coaches have always been the ones that called timeouts. "That's always been the case, yea," said Lewis. "Coaches can call timeouts, so it's much easier for him not to worry about that. We'll give him direction of, as we told him as we went in, anything in bounds we want to clock it so we can maintain the timeout and the opportunity to get the next play off."

Dave Lapham followed up the questions about timeouts about the fact that there was only one left. "When you talk about timeouts," Lapham said, "I know that you probably wish that there were others that you could of had at the end of the football game and for various reasons they weren't available to you. That had to be frustration."

"Well, they weren't available and that's part of it, Dave," said Lewis. "They were used at other points in the game to get other things done and straightened out. That's part of the game."

Lewis has said this week that the lack of timeouts was mostly substitution issues. However, not allowing your quarterback to call a timeout because he's already tasked with lining everyone up is borderline absurd. Maybe we were wrong. Maybe [url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2010/12/6/1858409/carson-palmer-keeps-showing-the-lack-of-leadership-qualities"][b][color="#d8431a"]Palmer's issue isn't one of leadership[/color][/b][/url]. Maybe Willie Anderson was right when he said: "A lot of time leaders on those teams [url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2010/12/3/1853636/willie-anderson-uses-twitter-to-go-off-about-the-bengals"][b][color="#d8431a"]were told to stand down[/color][/b][/url] and down get on certain players becuz it would mess up Chemistry!"

[url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2010/12/7/1861554/marvin-lewis-carson-palmer-doesnt-need-to-worry-about-calling-time"]http://www.cincyjungle.com/2010/12/7/1861554/marvin-lewis-carson-palmer-doesnt-need-to-worry-about-calling-time[/url]

But you [i]didn't[/i] "maintain the timeout", Marvin. If what you say is true, then you should have seen exactly what was happening and called it much earlier. Marvin is terrible with timeouts and to a lesser degree, challenges. He's a horrible clock manager in a game where managing the clock in crucial situations is so fucking important.

This is embarrassing and it's definitely not the case that "every team in the NFL goes about" not letting their qbs and players call timeouts. Manning, Brady, rivers, manning II, fuck there are so many more that run the two minute drill like a fucking general with complete control, not a soldier only trying to execute orders.

Just more symptoms of the problem.

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1291780566' post='948909']
Is there a team in the NFL that has more wasted timeouts throughout the game than the Bengals?
[/quote]
It is so frustrating watching game after game as they call stupid time outs, watch as time runs and then call time outs. Or my all time favorite ,come out of a tv time out to call another time out...

I wonder if Bratkowski gets the call in quick enough. OR - maybe it's Carson picking his ass and not getting the guys lined up? I really doubt it's Carson - just saying... we have had so many timeouts in regards to the play clock running out.

This is essentially the same team as last year. I think the coaches made it too hard for them this year. All this subbing in and subbing out packages. Our team can't handle it. Last year it was "I'm going to be tougher than you" football. We put our bigs in and went at it. Now we're running this shit where we have Brian Leonard out for WR screens nad 2 different dudes rotating in and out at FB who don't even play the position as well as a 3rd rotating in a TE. There's got to be 100 different personnel packages. I am still going to blame the coaching staff for this year.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In regards to the thread and Marvin Lewis and timeouts. Has Marvin lost Carson? If Carson isn't supposed to call timeouts, but did, is he questioning his leader and coach? I would be upset if my coach didn't put me in the best position to win each game.

I don't think Carson ever even looks at the game clock because he never knows how mutch times left in the quarters he is always getting to the line and running a play when there is only 5 to 10 seconds left and he's out there trying to call line protection and audibles like he has all day. Carson and Marvin are both to blame for bad clock managment.

I have noticed more than normal that we are out of timeouts at the end of games this year, I looked back at our timeouts for the last 4 games, and it does seem that we always have AT LEAST 1 timeout very early into a quarter (jets game was 5 plays into the game) and a lot of times its on offense on an early down. I bolded what I consider questionable TOs. For these games the Saints game really stands out for bad clock management, I didnt feel like going through our other games

Looking at the last 4 games I found that

[i][b]Colts game[/b][/i]
[i]First half[/i]
[b]~2:00 left in 1st quarter, defense 1-10 (lost obvious first down challange)[/b]

[i]Second half[/i]
[b]11:21 left in the 4th quarter, offense 3-7 at Cin 36 (next play is an INT)[/b]
5:01 left in the 4th quarter, defense 2-7 at Cin 37
4:55 left in the 4th quarter, defense 3-5 at Cin 35

[i][b]Bills game[/b][/i]
[i]First half[/i]
3 timeouts all on the last drive with < 1:17 to play

[i]Second half[/i]
[b]5:33 left in the 4th, offense- 4-4 at Buf 25 (iced our own kicker and missed the field goal)[/b]
5:21 left in the 4th, defense- 2-11 at Buf 32 (next play give up 26 yard run)
4:22 left in the 4th, defense- 2-9 at Cin 41 (2 yard gain next play)

[i][b]Jets game[/b][/i]
[i]First half[/i]
[b]12:04 left in the 1st, offense- 3-10 at Cin 30 (this was the 5th play of the game)[/b]
1:21 left in the 2nd, offense- 1-10 at NYJ 11
0:06 left in the 2nd, defense- 1-10 at Cin 30 (Ice the kicker)

[i]Second half[/i]
[b]8:11 left in the 3rd, offense- 4-3 at the NYJ 30 (play successful due to roughing the passer)[/b]
5:08 left in the 4th, defense- 2-6 at the NYJ 36

[i][b]Saints Game[/b][/i]
[i]First half[/i]
[b]1:33 left in 1st quarter , offense- 2-20 at the NO 28 (after a holding penalty)[/b]
5:30 left in 2nd quarter, offense- 4-1 at the NO 28 (after 3-1 failed, 4-1 play successful)
as far as I can tell, we ran 2 plays at the 50 to end the quarter and we still had a timeout
[i]
[/i]
[i]Second half[/i]
[b]10:49 left in 4th quarter, offense- 3-6 at the Cin 45[/b]
[b]8:18 left in the 4th quarter, offense 1-10 at the NO 8[/b]
0:08 left in the 4th quarter, offense at the No 37

Archived