Since PC Manufacturers Don't Supply Recovery CD's Anymore

Or at least most of them don't, here's a great site to get them from:

http://recovery-disks.com/

Average price seems to be $30.

Though I understand the practice from a cost control standpoint, it can be utterly infuriating as an end-user. Sure, they give you a restore partition on the HDD, but what fucking good is that going to do you if the hard drive tanks? Or if one accidentally writes a new partition table to the whole drive because they forgot to disable the "tap to click" function on their new laptop prior to re-partitioning to dual boot Debian... :whistle: :14:

Really, would it kill them to at least offer the ISO for download?

Wankers...

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1300383792' post='977633']
Hey at least you didnt delete your domain admin account and have to redo your whole domain.

:doh:
[/quote]
:pointlaff:

But yeah, that laptop has one touchy scroll pad.

Yeesh...

[quote name='CatScratchFever' timestamp='1300396530' post='977737']
Just make an image of your HDD yourself periodically, and store it on another drive. Way more reliable than a recovery disk anyway. I've never once been successful using a manufacturer-supplied recovery disk. I don't even bother with them anymore.
[/quote]

Imaging the drive is a great idea. Some folks, however, are neither gifted nor skilled enough to do so, or they just can't be bothered. And the real value in the recovery disks is a copy of the OS that matches the license on their computer. Not everyone has the resources or savvy to snag a copy of Windows whenever they want...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1300399990' post='977750']
Imaging the drive is a great idea. Some folks, however, are neither gifted nor skilled enough to do so, or they just can't be bothered. And the real value in the recovery disks is a copy of the OS that matches the license on their computer. Not everyone has the resources or savvy to snag a copy of Windows whenever they want...
[/quote]
Those people should just turn the computer off and back away slowly. Or pay me to come fix it for them.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' timestamp='1300409293' post='977806']
Those people should just turn the computer off and back away slowly. Or pay me to come fix it for them.
[/quote]

You just described 90% of the computing public.

And [b]our[/b] customer base...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1300381598' post='977622']
Or at least most of them don't, here's a great site to get them from:

[url="http://recovery-disks.com/"]http://recovery-disks.com/[/url]

Average price seems to be $30.

Though I understand the practice from a cost control standpoint, it can be utterly infuriating as an end-user. Sure, they give you a restore partition on the HDD, but what fucking good is that going to do you if the hard drive tanks? Or if one accidentally writes a new partition table to the whole drive because they forgot to disable the "tap to click" function on their new laptop prior to re-partitioning to dual boot Debian... :whistle: :14:

Really, would it kill them to at least offer the ISO for download?

Wankers...
[/quote]

dvd's cost about .50 cents max to manufacturer.... especially in just a white sleeve... thier cost savings can suckit... hell offer it for a $5 option when buying...

or buy a mac and the whole OS itself is only $29 and dont worry about it?

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1300412468' post='977822']
You just described 90% of the computing public.

And [b]our[/b] customer base...
[/quote]

maybe 99%

Archived