TE Offseason

TE was the second grouping that I got done with. I think it will be a pretty stagnant position. We probably hold on to Coffman to go along with the obvious Gresham. Coffman has been pretty bad but flashed a little at the end of 2010 and probably fits the WC better. Garrett Mills is a wild card. He might be a great H-Back type or even a pass catching FB. Does anyone have any insight into how that position is used?

In terms of need I think that we probably bring back Kelly but he is at the end of the road and this will probably be his last season if he plays at all. With that in mind I doubt we target anyone at TE outside of a Blocking TE, which there are 4-5 guys who we could have later in the draft.

What I would do

TE Gresham 2014 Kelly 2010 Coffman 2012 Smith-Rd 6 Mills 2011

I think that Lee Smith of Marshall is a guy that I really like. He has great intangibles, can block really well but also caught a few passes for Marshall (23-09, 38-10). He would be a great 6th rounder because he fills a niche. I would go as high as a 5th on him. I really like what I read about Will Yeatman as well and he makes a ton of sense in the 7th. Mensik is a mammoth guy who might really fit as well. The other 3 are not listed in my readup but seem like possible UDFAs if we decide to go elsewhere with a draft pick. Julius Thomas is a converted ball player like Gates and Clay might fit the H-back role pretty well but he might get drafted higher.

Pass Blockers
Lee Smith 6-5 270 Marshall Round 5
Will Yeatman 6-6 273 Maryland Round 7
Konrad Reuland 6-4 258 Stanford CFA
Evan Frosch TCU CFA
Joe Torchia 6-5 258 Virginia CFA
Eric Mensik 6-5 292 Oklahoma CFA

Receivers
Julius Thomas 6-4 246 Portland St CFA
Charles Clay 6-2 245 Tulsa CFA
Jordan Cameron 6-5 254 USC CFA

I know this is not an exciting position but does anyone have any favorites or strategies here?

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1303185425' post='984451']
I dont think Mills can go on the practice squad and they are [b]two entirely different TEs.[/b] I would think they bring in atleast another guy who can block but I guess I dont know how important that will be in our new offense.
[/quote]

doesn't mean they are in direct competition with each other. If Gresham and Coffman continue to improve as blockers, it may make Kelly expendable regardless of how good of a blocker Mills is. It's about the best trio for the team, not necessarily Kelly vs Mills.

Archived