Way too early, but what the heck Draft

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1326981311' post='1090506']
1. David DeCastro, G, Stanford - if he's there I just can't see not making this pick, unless its addressed in free agency.

1. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

2. Trumaine Johnson, CB/S, Montana

3. Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas

4. Terrence Ganaway, RB, Baylor

5. Chris Rainey, RB/WR, Florida

5. Markus Zusevics, OT, Iowa
[/quote]

some alterations in light of Simpson's indictment.

1. David DeCastro, G, Stanford - if he's there I just can't see not making this pick, unless its addressed in free agency.

1. Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

2. Trumaine Johnson, CB/S, Montana

3. Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas

4. Tauren Poole, RB, Tennessee

5. Ron Brooks, CB, LSU

5. Markus Zusevics, OT, Iowa

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they took Crick at 21 he just seems like a kid that Zim and Marv would really like because of his versatility. I think he'll project to a mid-late first rd pick by the time the draft gets here.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1327293197' post='1091442']
I actually wouldn't be surprised if they took Crick at 21 he just seems like a kid that Zim and Marv would really like because of his versatility. I think he'll project to a mid-late first rd pick by the time the draft gets here.
[/quote]

I actually intended to take him at 21, but most sites don't have him as a first rounder anymore.

I think I like Nick Perry a little more because of his speed, but Crick is much more suited to what the Bengals like. I think there's a good chance they take him at some point if they are looking for a DE. He's basically a poor man's Justin Smith, but bigger. He's got the size they've been coveting on the dline (6'6 285) and has the versatility they like, being able to play both inside and outside.

Even in resigning Sims, I could see them picking up another interior lineman. Typically they keep 4 on the roster, last year was a rarity only keeping 3. Not to mention that One of Rucker and Fanene (probablys Fanene), likely won't be back.

Here we go!!!

1. Dre Kirkpatrick -CB/Alabam
1. Doug Martin - RB/Boise State
2. Vinny Curry - DE/Marshall
3. Mike Martin - DT/Michigan
4. Nigel Bradham - OLB/FSU
5. Jeff Allen - OG/Illinois
6. Brian Quick - WR/Applachian State
7. Robert Blanton - CB/Notre Dame

Here my thinking on this draft, in the first round I think Kirkpatrick will fall because of the weed issue and to me Kirkpatrick is the best cb in the draft so we have to take him, he can also play some safety. Also I'm assuming we don't bring back Benson, Simpson, Caldwell, Bobbie, Sims, Fanene, Rivers, Pacman, Jennings, & Crocker. If we can get a starting guard and wr in FA, like Carl Nicks and Pierre Garcon, I think this would be a great draft.

• 3 weeks later...
a little pre-combine mock.

re-sign: fanene, rucker, simpson, pacman, lawson, mcglynn, livings, nelson, nugent.

free agents: CB stanford routt, RB mike tolbert, DT trevor laws, WR Robert Meachem

Draft:

1. OG David Decastro, Stanford
1. S Alfonso Dennard, Nebraska (yes, safety)
2. CB Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt
3. OT Xavier Nixson, Florida
4. DT Mike Martin, Michigan
5. S Brandon Taylor, LSU
5. WR/RB Chris Rainey, Florida
6. RB Tauren Poole
7. TE DC Jefferson, Rutgers

I see the Bengals getting either Rainey or Demps in the late rounds. Robert Blanton was projected as one of the top CBs in college football going into last year. He had some rough patches eventhough he had Harrison Smith with him in the secondary. Blanton lacks the speed but he has the physical type of play and is a sure tackler in the running game. I could see him being a convert to a safety or become a nickle corner in the NFL.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1329707872' post='1097390']
I see the Bengals getting either Rainey or Demps in the late rounds. Robert Blanton was projected as one of the top CBs in college football going into last year. He had some rough patches eventhough he had Harrison Smith with him in the secondary. Blanton lacks the speed but he has the physical type of play and is a sure tackler in the running game. I could see him being a convert to a safety or become a nickle corner in the NFL.
[/quote]

I think you've mentioned it before, but it should be interesting what happens with demps. He's skipping the nfl to train for the olympics. He very well may not get drafted, but at the same time I could see a team using a 6th or 7th on him to hold his rights.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1329708028' post='1097392']

I think you've mentioned it before, but it should be interesting what happens with demps. He's skipping the nfl to train for the olympics. He very well may not get drafted, but at the same time I could see a team using a 6th or 7th on him to hold his rights.
[/quote]

He likes to run but football is in his blood. The 2012 London Olympics is only a taste for him. These guys with competitive spirit just can't quit the game. It wouldn't be a first for a guy to play in the NFL after the Olympics, Bullet Bob Hayes did it in 1964. Shoot Carl Lewis tried out for the NFL too. Why not drop a late round pick on a guy that could turn out being the fastest man on the field on Sundays?

I'll throw my hat in the ring on this little draft projection:

#17- Michael Floyd [b]WR[/b]
#21- Cordy Glenn [b]OG/OT[/b]
Second Round- Mark Barron [b]S[/b]
Third Round- Brandon Brooks [b]OG/OT[/b]
Fourth Round- Isaiah Pead [b]RB[/b]
Fifth Round- Robert Blanton [b]CB/Special teams[/b]
Sixth Round- Russel Wilson [b]QB/WR[/b]
Seventh Round- Jeff Demps [b]RB/WR[/b]

This speaks Bengals draft all the way. It fills almost every position of need except linebacker and defensive line. It also has a double dip from the same school with Floyd and Blanton. The biggest thing is the all the players are from major conference schools except Brooks out of the MAC.

• 2 weeks later...
Post Combine Mock

Resign: Nelson, Simpson, Lee, Livings, McGlynn, Fanene, Rucker, Lawson, Pacman, Nugent, Pressley, Skuta, Harris

Free Agents: WR Robert Meachem, OG Jeremy Zuttah (I'd say Grubbs, but it looks like the ravens will pay him)

1. Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia - Even if he hadn't blown out the combine he just makes too much sense here. Bengals have 2 starting guard spots open, both backup tackle spots open, and Andre Smith is entering a contract year. Glenn provides a lot of options.

1. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina - Good speed, good coverage skills and fearless in run support.

2. Chris Polk, RB, Washington - may not be as fast or shifty as others, but may be the most complete back in the draft after Richardson. Has above average speed, power, vision, and is an excellent pass catcher. Everything gruden is looking for.

3. Brandon Taylor, S, LSU - an underrated safety prospect overlooked in an extremely talented LSU secondary lately.

4. Nick Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor - needs polish but is the big body to replace Pat Sims should he depart.

5. Rokevious Watkins, G/T, South Carolina - need more oline depth

5. Tank Carder, LB, TCU - I don't view LB as a huge need, but the Bengals have a dearth of draft picks and not huge holes.

6. Jordan Jefferson, Athlete, LSU - he has no future as a QB, but can possibly provide value in the future as a tight end prospect.

7. Jeff Demps, RB/WR, Florida - is entering the olympics but with 9 draft picks its worth the gamble to control his rights.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1330469621' post='1100299']
7. Jeff Demps, RB/WR, Florida - is entering the olympics but with 9 draft picks its worth the gamble to control his rights.
[/quote]

I really like the idea of getting Demps in the 7th in order to hold his rights, that could really pay off down the road.

not a big fan of Polk, he just runs way too upright for my liking, great hands though.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1330475442' post='1100321']

I really like the idea of getting Demps in the 7th in order to hold his rights, that could really pay off down the road.

not a big fan of Polk, he just runs way too upright for my liking, [b]great hands though.[/b]
[/quote]

that's a big part of why I like him and why I think he's a great fit. No other RB in this draft have I seen a team run down the seam and catch it 35yds downfield and take it for a 70yd TD(see 1:36 mark below)

also watch the 1:00, 3:21, 3:30, and 7:00 minute marks. That's the exact kind of back Gruden keeps talking about wanting.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwsyoezN9aM[/media]

Even though he's far from my favorite out of the group, it definitely wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if they grabbed him, I'd just rather they did it at 84 not 53. When I was watching him do his position drills at the combine he actually reminded me a lot of Matt Forte.

btw...how freakin good is Keith Price gonna be next year? I think he's the 2012 version of Cam at Auburn.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1330478652' post='1100336']
Even though he's far from my favorite out of the group, it definitely wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if they grabbed him, I'd just rather they did it at 84 not 53.[b] When I was watching him do his position drills at the combine he actually reminded me a lot of Matt Forte.[/b]

btw...how freakin good is Keith Price gonna be next year? I think he's the 2012 version of Cam at Auburn.
[/quote]

lol I've seen glimpses of that as well but didn't want to get shit on for saying it because he's not very popular around here.

I don't have time to get into all of the free agent comings and goings but here's my quick 4 rd attempt post combine...

17 Trent Richardson- I just think there are too many starting caliber RB's that will be available at the top of the 2nd round, I just don't see the motivation being there to take T-Rich early when you can fill another need with a top talent from the front of the draft and still get a very good starting RB in rd 2.

21[size=3] [size=4][color=#000000]Jonathan Martin[/color][/size][/size][size=4]-[/size] the best OL available that gives them the most versatility. Start him at LG and let him back up both tackles just like they did early with Whit when they didn't have a spot open for him on the outside.

53 Brandon Boykin- my favorite corner in the draft not named [color=#000000]Morris Claiborne. To me he's just a smaller version of Patrick Peterson. [/color]

[color=#000000]84 [/color][color=#000000]Jared Crick- not sure if he'll make it this far but it should be pretty close. Gives them the size and versatility they look for in their ends.[/color]

[color=#000000]115 [/color][color=#000000]DeVier Posey- he has the size and skill set to start in the NFL he just needs to stay consistent. I think he'll be highly motivated coming back home.[/color]

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1330483574' post='1100357']
I don't have time to get into all of the free agent comings and goings but here's my quick 4 rd attempt post combine...

17 Trent Richardson- I just think there are too many starting caliber RB's that will be available at the top of the 2nd round, I just don't see the motivation being there to take T-Rich early when you can fill another need with a top talent from the front of the draft and still get a very good starting RB in rd 2.

21[size=3] [size=4][color=#000000]Jonathan Martin[/color][/size][/size][size=4]-[/size] the best OL available that gives them the most versatility. Start him at LG and let him back up both tackles just like they did early with Whit when they didn't have a spot open for him on the outside.

53 Brandon Boykin- my favorite corner in the draft not named [color=#000000]Morris Claiborne. To me he's just a smaller version of Patrick Peterson. [/color]

[color=#000000]84 [/color][color=#000000]Jared Crick- not sure if he'll make it this far but it should be pretty close. Gives them the size and versatility they look for in their ends.[/color]

[color=#000000]115 [/color][color=#000000]DeVier Posey- he has the size and skill set to start in the NFL he just needs to stay consistent. I think he'll be highly motivated coming back home.[/color]
[/quote]

I like martin but wonder if he's built to be a guard.

I'm a huge fan of Crick but not sure about him fitting the bengals after the combine. Nebraska had him at 6'6 285. At the combine he was 6'4 279. Not sure he fits the Bengals as a DT/DE tweener (primary DT) unless they lose Rucker or Fanene. I think they are going to want a bigger body to replace Sims. If they lose Rucker or Fanene though, I love the pick.

I think if Eric Steinbach can do it, Martin shouldn't have any problems with it. He's got the feet and athleticism to be a great pulling LG.

I don't think Crick would have any problem adding some weight, he's definitely got the frame for it. Another guy I really like in that mid-rd range tho is Billy Winn.

[quote name='spicoli' timestamp='1330485803' post='1100368']
I think if Eric Steinbach can do it, Martin shouldn't have any problems with it. He's got the feet and athletisicm to be a great pulling LG.

I don't think Crick would have any problem adding some weight, he's definitely got the frame for it. Another guy I really like in that mid-rd range tho is Billy Winn.
[/quote]

Winn is another guy I like. I'll have to watch some more of Martin. Never really considered him a fit until now.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1330495014' post='1100389']
I don't think there's a chance in hell Martin will be drafted as a guard...

He'll be long gone by our 21st pick anyways
[/quote]

watched him lastnight after spicoli suggested it and I'm inclined to agree. Great player, but while he's virtually the same size as decastro I didn't get the impression he had the same type of strength as decastro.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1330520238' post='1100404']

watched him lastnight after spicoli suggested it and I'm inclined to agree. Great player, but while he's virtually the same size as decastro I didn't get the impression he had the same type of strength as decastro.
[/quote]
He's got good size but he's a finesse left tackle that doesn't have a killer instinct or a lot of strength.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1330521100' post='1100406']
He's got good size but he's a finesse left tackle that doesn't have a killer instinct or a lot of strength.
[/quote]

do we know why he didn't do any of the drills or events at the combine? Looks like all he did was the weigh-in.

Archived