Way too early, but what the heck Draft

Assuming the juniors come out. The nice thing is, this was really tough to do. The Bengals don't have huge holes. They just have a lot of players who need more experience.

[b]1. OL Cordy Glenn, Georgia[/b]

I was going to go with Decastro here, but then I realized Glenn is playing LT this year, and that's the kind of versatility the Bengals coaches love. Plus, the Bengals really gravitate towards the SEC for the olinemen.

[b]1. CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama[/b]

Jones and Jennings are both free agents at the end of the year, and now Trent is gone. Clements isn't a longterm answer, and I'd actually like to see him eventually land at free safety, where I think he can play another 3-4 years. Kirkpatrick has the size the Bengals coaches like.

[b]2. RB Stepfan Taylor, Stanford[/b]

He's a junior so there's a chance he may stay at Stanford and get that Stanford degree. In the event he doesn't though, he'd be a great fit in the AFC North. Size, speed and good vision.

[b]3. DE/DT Billy Winn, Boise State[/b]

Keep feeding the dline. Rucker, Fanene and Sims are all free agents at the end of the year. Very likely at least 1 is gone. Winn is a tweener who can go inside or out.

[b]3. RB/WR/KR/PR Jeff Demps, Florida[/b]

A Dexter McCluster type impact player. He can be a force on special teams and add serious speed to the Bengals offense. You're also likely losing Simpson or Caldwell, and who knows how Shipley comes back after at least his 3rd knee injury of his career. He is a junior.

[b]4. OT Levy Adcock, Oklahoma State[/b]

Both Anthony Collins and Dennis Roland are free agents. Glenn and McGlynn would be able to provide some tackle depth, but not enough. Roland is definitely upgradeable, and I think Collins bolts. He seems to be in someone's doghouse and I think he leaves the first chance he gets. Adcock has experience at both tackle spots.

[b]5. TE David Paulson, Oregon[/b]

Cochart is growing on me, but Lee is only a stop gap at his age. Paulson is a very good receiver that they can redshirt to let him bulk up a little and progress as a blocker. He's a decent blocker, but can certainly improve.

[b]5. LB Bobby Wagner, Utah State[/b]

I don't think the Bengals are hurting at LB, but should continue to add depth. Lawson and BJ are free agents. BJ is probably gone, but Lawson is back if they want him IMO. Rey and Skuta are ERFA's likely back and you'd still have maualuga/moch/rivers/muckelroy.

This would be a good draft, combining need with BPA. But . . .

Glenn is obviously playing out of position. He has not been good at LT but is the best OL the Bulldogs have. So in lieu of Murray getting constantly planted, he only gets planted most of the time. I would rather wait and take Osemele, who has similar size and athleticism and is also playing out of position at LT.

I'm not that high on Taylor. He runs hard and breaks tackles but I wonder how much of his success is due to opponents focusing on Luck, not to mention Stanford's stellar OL play. All three of their RB's average 5 ypc or more.

I like Winn and Adcock (though I've read about some maturity concerns with Adcock). Demps is so fast and versatile he's a TD waiting to happen.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1320278040' post='1055239']

Glenn is obviously playing out of position. He has not been good at LT but is the best OL the Bulldogs have. So in lieu of Murray getting constantly planted, he only gets planted most of the time. I would rather wait and take Osemele, who has similar size and athleticism and is also playing out of position at LT.

I'm not that high on Taylor. He runs hard and breaks tackles but I wonder how much of his success is due to opponents focusing on Luck, not to mention Stanford's stellar OL play. All three of their RB's average 5 ypc or more.

I like Winn and Adcock (though I've read about some maturity concerns with Adcock). Demps is so fast and versatile he's a TD waiting to happen.
[/quote]

with Glenn he obviously would play at guard for the Bengals, but have the ability to backup Whit.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1320278040' post='1055239']

Glenn is obviously playing out of position. He has not been good at LT but is the best OL the Bulldogs have. So in lieu of Murray getting constantly planted, he only gets planted most of the time. [b] I would rather wait and take Osemele, [/b]who has similar size and athleticism and is also playing out of position at LT.

[/quote]

I watched some video of Osemele the other day, and granted it was from 2010, but he made Dennis Roland look like an All-Pro. Was not a fan at all.

Fair enough. I've only seen him this year.

On the other hand, I've been really impressed with some of the people that you've suggested. Ron Brooks was very, very solid tonight. And Cordy Glenn played the best game I've seen from him thus far. DeCastro is clearly the best guard in this draft, but as you have pointed out the bengals covet versatility. Glenn or Osemele may be better suited for the teams OL philosophy.

The Dennis Roland thing was pure hyperbole and I will take it as such.

Some updates:

1. LT Riley Reiff, Iowa - Roland, Collins, Bobbie and Livings are all free agents. Collins likely wants to move on, Roland needs to move on, Bobbie is done, and I wouldn't mind Livings at all as a backup. Reiff is an excellent talent and could step right in and provide tackle depth or start at LG. With the new CBA, he wouldn't be making much for a good guard even though he'll want tackle money. A junior.

1. CB Morris Claiborne, LSU - Just like him a little more than Kirkpatrick. A junior, but would be surprised if he doesn't come out.

2. RB Stepfan Talyor, Stanford

3. DE/DT Billy Winn, Boise State

3. WR/RB/KR/PR Jeff Demps, Florida

4. OL Brandon Washington, Miami - best fit at guard, but quality enough that they moved him to LT this year due to injuries.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1321153339' post='1060855']
Fair enough. I've only seen him this year.

On the other hand, I've been really impressed with some of the people that you've suggested. Ron Brooks was very, very solid tonight. And Cordy Glenn played the best game I've seen from him thus far. DeCastro is clearly the best guard in this draft, but as you have pointed out the bengals covet versatility. Glenn or Osemele may be better suited for the teams OL philosophy.

The Dennis Roland thing was pure hyperbole and I will take it as such.
[/quote]

yea I will readily admit that I haven't watched enough of Osemele to know how good he is, but wasn't a fan of what I saw. He seems very athletic, but he also seemed overweight, so much of the athleticism was for naught. FWIW, I don't think I've watched any of him from this year.

Yeah Taylor is another player I've watched on your suggestion and I am I'm impressed.

If Demps can gain ten pounds, he's Jamal Charles.

Reiff is the versatile OL that has been referenced, I'm not sold on him, though I've watched several of their games for McNutt and Prater. Guys like Ryan Miller from CO and Barrett Jones from AL are either physically gifted or extremely versatile.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1321153476' post='1060857']

yea I will readily admit that I haven't watched enough of Osemele to know how good he is, but wasn't a fan of what I saw. He seems very athletic, but he also seemed overweight, so much of the athleticism was for naught. FWIW, I don't think I've watched any of him from this year.[/quote]

Iowa St. Is not must see. It's amazing what firstrow can provide.

another week, another version of the way too early mock.

1. LT Riley Reiff, Iowa - Roland, Collins, Bobbie and Livings are all free agents. Collins likely wants to move on, Roland needs to move on, Bobbie is done, and I wouldn't mind Livings at all as a backup. Reiff is an excellent talent and could step right in and provide tackle depth or start at LG. With the new CBA, he wouldn't be making much for a good guard even though he'll want tackle money. A junior. [color=#ff0000][b]No Change[/b][/color]

1. CB Morris Claiborne, LSU - Just like him a little more than Kirkpatrick. A junior, but would be surprised if he doesn't come out. [color=#ff0000][b]No Change[/b][/color]

2. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas - It's unlikely he'd come out after a (what was thought) season ending ankle injury, but he's already back to practice apparently, and I suppose he'd consider it considering Dennis Johnson has emerged as a great RB for Arkansas. Davis is one of my favorite backs in college. Very similar to DeMarco Murray IMO. [color=#ff0000][b]Change: nothing against Stepfan Taylor, just changing it up.[/b][/color]

3. OL Brandon Washington, Miami - best fit at guard, but quality enough that they moved him to LT this year due to injuries. [color=#ff0000][b]Change: from DE/DT Billy Winn, Boise State. I think I'd rather focus on keeping the current dline intact, which if done there's no room to add to it. I also may have undervalued Washington.[/b][/color]

3. WR Chris Owusu, Stanford - Doesn't have the same talent, but is built like Anquan Boldin, with similar speed. Would be a nice physical addition to the receiving corp which will likely lose caldwell or simpson, if not both. You know he has the smarts too. [color=#ff0000][b]Change: from WR/RB/KR/PR Jeff Demps, Florida . I think they want more size at the WR position. Hawkins may emerge as a wildcard similar to what Demps could have been. [/b][/color]

4. CB Ron Brooks, LSU - continues to impress me despite not being one of the name CB's at LSU. Hall is coming back from injury, both Jones and Jennings are free agents. Two CB's makes sense. Bengals fulfill their not quite annual tradition of grabbing two guys from the same school. [color=#ff0000][b]Change: OL Brandon Washington, Miami. Taken earlier.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1321757192' post='1064066']
another week, another version of the way too early mock.

1. LT Riley Reiff, Iowa - Roland, Collins, Bobbie and Livings are all free agents. Collins likely wants to move on, Roland needs to move on, Bobbie is done, and I wouldn't mind Livings at all as a backup. Reiff is an excellent talent and could step right in and provide tackle depth or start at LG. With the new CBA, he wouldn't be making much for a good guard even though he'll want tackle money. A junior. [color=#ff0000][b]No Change[/b][/color]

1. CB Morris Claiborne, LSU - Just like him a little more than Kirkpatrick. A junior, but would be surprised if he doesn't come out. [color=#ff0000][b]No Change[/b][/color]

2. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas - It's unlikely he'd come out after a (what was thought) season ending ankle injury, but he's already back to practice apparently, and I suppose he'd consider it considering Dennis Johnson has emerged as a great RB for Arkansas. Davis is one of my favorite backs in college. Very similar to DeMarco Murray IMO. [color=#ff0000][b]Change: nothing against Stepfan Taylor, just changing it up.[/b][/color]

3. OL Brandon Washington, Miami - best fit at guard, but quality enough that they moved him to LT this year due to injuries. [color=#ff0000][b]Change: from DE/DT Billy Winn, Boise State. I think I'd rather focus on keeping the current dline intact, which if done there's no room to add to it. I also may have undervalued Washington.[/b][/color]

3. WR Chris Owusu, Stanford - Doesn't have the same talent, but is built like Anquan Boldin, with similar speed. Would be a nice physical addition to the receiving corp which will likely lose caldwell or simpson, if not both. You know he has the smarts too. [color=#ff0000][b]Change: from WR/RB/KR/PR Jeff Demps, Florida . I think they want more size at the WR position. Hawkins may emerge as a wildcard similar to what Demps could have been. [/b][/color]

4. CB Ron Brooks, LSU - continues to impress me despite not being one of the name CB's at LSU. Hall is coming back from injury, both Jones and Jennings are free agents. Two CB's makes sense. Bengals fulfill their not quite annual tradition of grabbing two guys from the same school. [color=#ff0000][b]Change: OL Brandon Washington, Miami. Taken earlier.[/b][/color]
[/quote]

1. Just take DeCastro. Guard is the need and I don't want to spend my first pick on tackle depth.
1. No way Claiborne is there when we make our second pick. He's a top 10 pick for sure and maybe top 5.
2. Tempting if he comes out.
The rest is fine.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1321757495' post='1064069']

1. Just take DeCastro. Guard is the need and I don't want to spend my first pick on tackle depth.
1. No way Claiborne is there when we make our second pick. He's a top 10 pick for sure and maybe top 5.
2. Tempting if he comes out.
The rest is fine.
[/quote]

1. I wouldn't necessarily call it depth. I'd imagine he'd start right away at one of the guard spots.
1a. You may be right. I also like Minnifield. Just not sure about Kirkpatrick for some reason.

Going back to 1, ideally for me, assuming nothing in the draft, I'd insert Boling at left guard next year and move Livings to right guard, where I think he'd be a much better fit.

I certainly wouldn't complain about DeCastro one bit. I think Boling and DeCastro flanking Cook could be amazing.

mock draft pick's
bengals don't get Richardson, at this point in unless the raider really suck and the Bengals are able to,bengals are picking in the later half of the draft.
1.chase minnyfeld cb some say he's better than Patrick Peterson
1.cody glenn og nate living it's cutting the mustard,should have been gone
2. brain quick wr Jerome has had enough time to show, what he do time to show him the door and maybe Caldwell too.
3. Bernard piece rb
4. jeronis jenkin cb character issue's the reason fall's
5. Donovan Richard safety
5.Philip Blake center don't like kyle cook to much but he is serviceable.
6.morkeith brown de can't have enough pass rusher's
7.Derek wolf dt still can't have enough pass rusher's, and a let the last pick of the draft be used on something other then a later round wr.

word on the street is the Bengals scouting temple university really hard, my guess is they like what they see in Bernard piece and morkieth brown,so they are hoping they continue to go under the radar like Dalton did in the draft. but Bernard piece should at least be consider for the Heisman.if the Bengals do get something for Joseph the pick should used on a safety maybe Harrison smith.

I love the First two picks of your first run. I would go Kirkpatrick first and Glenn second because CB is a bigger need IMO. An achilles injury is not easy to come back from and he might not be ready for the start of the year. The recovery time for us is about 9 mos to a year. Not sure when you have a more dedicated staff.

My third pick would be Mohamed Sanu. Looks like he could be a stud at WR and throw in a little bit of wildctesque stuff as well. Great Blocker to boot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJz5fIQm6-E 16 catches in 1 game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfrAhOyCn4

Round 3 Id take the bpa of CB, RB and S. Didnt see much out of that Stanford RB you were touting, but it is just 1 game.

[quote name='AZBengal' timestamp='1321765803' post='1064100']
People need to stop acting like we are going to have two 3rd round picks.

It's not going to happen. Probably no comp picks at all this year. And if we do, nothing even close to round 3.
[/quote]

who pray-tell is going to get the 4 3rd round comp picks this year then?

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1321774276' post='1064105']
1 chase minnyfeld cb
1.Cody Glenn og
2.brain quick wr
3.Bernard piece rb
4.janoris jenkins cb
5.Harrison smith s
5.Philip Blake c
6.morkieth brown de
7. Derek wolf dt
if there is pick for Joseph, comp should be used for a safety maybe Antonio Allen.
[/quote]
1. Reach that early.
1. Cordy. :) Great pick.
2. Maybe in 4. Big reach in 2.
3. No thanks
4. I'll be shocked if he lasts that long.
5. We already have Wilson, Sands, Crocker and Mays. If we are going to take a safety take one ealier who could actually make a difference.
5. ok
6. Who?
7. If he lasts that long.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1321799696' post='1064131']
1. Reach that early.
1. Cordy. :) Great pick.
2. Maybe in 4. Big reach in 2.
3. No thanks
4. I'll be shocked if he lasts that long.
5. We already have Wilson, Sands, Crocker and Mays. If we are going to take a safety take one ealier who could actually make a difference.
5. ok
6. Who?
7. If he lasts that long.
[/quote]

crocker won't last forever so getting a safety might not be a bad ideal.
morkieth brown is big defensive end out temple,he kind of fit's the mold of what bengals have been drafting.
a big defensive end that can bring pressure quarterback ,just like dunlap.
Derick wolf I don't being taken early in the draft.
come on you wouldn't take Bernard piece big running back take that run 4.51,alright 3rd is bit high, alright maybe 4th.
janoris jenkins off the field issue's are a concern so many teams might not take chance on him early. alright maybe he goes in the
3rd, or the 2nd.
brain quick is a big target, him and a.j green could be serious threat for years to come.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1321850342' post='1065884']
just watched brian quick for the first time. Kind of intrigued. Seems to be a Chris Henry/Jerome Simpson mix. No way is he a second rounder though. 4th or 5th.
[/quote]

he's listed 6'5 same size as randy moss was. the first time I watched him, that first thing I thought.and he could be a big target for Andy to, him and green could do allot of damage to allot nfl secondary's and it would leave Jordan Shirley open. then add in Jermaine Gresham,aj green and brain quick, damn that a sick combination.

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1321815392' post='1064463'] crocker won't last forever so getting a safety might not be a bad ideal. morkieth brown is big defensive end out temple,he kind of fit's the mold of what bengals have been drafting. a big defensive end that can bring pressure quarterback ,just like dunlap. Derick wolf I don't being taken early in the draft. come on you wouldn't take Bernard piece big running back take that run 4.51,alright 3rd is bit high, alright maybe 4th. janoris jenkins off the field issue's are a concern so many teams might not take chance on him early. alright maybe he goes in the 3rd, or the 2nd. brain quick is a big target, him and a.j green could be serious threat for years to come.[/quote]

I agree we need a safety. We need one before 5. We need one good enough to make an impact right away.
I did not see Morkieth Brown listed on the sites I use.
Even with the character issues I think Jenkins goes no later than early 2. If he makes it to our 2 I might be tempted, but not if we already took a CB in 1. And I would not touch him in 1.
Wolfe is currently in the 3 to 5 range.

Archived