My hero of the game: Adam Jones

Thought he played well against Fitzgerald overall. Shut him out while we built our lead, and safeties let him down a couple of times. Fitz' touchdown was a drag route vs. zone coverage.

And the play of the game actually came on one of those blown coverages by Crocker when Fitzgerald caught the ball on the sideline wide open. Adam Jones managed to jump on Fitzgerald's back and drag him down at the one yard line, not an easy task at all coming from behind him. On the next play, John Skelton fumbled the ball and they had to settle for a FG. Obviously, had they scored, and gotten the ball back like they did, they would have only needed a FG and would have gotten it. I wouldn't have liked the way the momentum was going headed into OT.

So, bravo, Adam Jones.

Good call. I agree. I still don't understand why Crocker was diving out of bounds on that play. Fitzgerald was standing still on the sideline, where else was he gonna go but cut back inside? I don't understand how Crocker missed that tackle.

And don't forget the tipped pass on that end zone throw in the last minute where Jones layed out for that ball and got his fingers on it. And, by contrast, the dropped interception in crunch time by Crocker that could have put the game away right there. I don't really wanna bang on Crocker too much, but cmon son. When you jump a route like that, you gotta close out that play and save the points. IMO

That coverage looked like the exact same coverage as when Jennings got beat down the field against Buffalo maybe?

If the slot guy runs something down field or in, you stay with your man so the safety can help with the slot (usually the slot guy is covered by your lb or slower corner). I don't know the call obviously... just guessing here.

Props to Arizona. They moved fitz around a lot to get him matched up on a linebacker. His first catch they had him on the outside..he moved into the slot position and drew Rey.

Domata and that d line deserve a lot of credit. They were going balls out today. Gonna need that. To rattle flaccid next week

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1324768646' post='1079425']
Yeah, there was some mixup on the rainbow to Fitgerald late between CB and S, not sure who was wrong there. Props on making the tackle to avoid the TD.
[/quote]
I think it was more on Crocker. All I know is that a few snaps later Jones and Crocker nearly had a major bust up in open field arguing about it. But all the bad Bengals' secondary plays follow a common theme these days - they involve Chris Crocker.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1324769302' post='1079438']

I think it was more on Crocker. All I know is that a few snaps later Jones and Crocker nearly had a major bust up in open field arguing about it. But all the bad Bengals' secondary plays follow a common theme these days - they involve Chris Crocker.
[/quote]

And I'm pretty sure Mays was in there a handful of timea today with Nelson at safety. You may be onto something.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1324769302' post='1079438']
[/quote]

I saw the argument. I don't know who was in the right.

Nope. The one in Jax was Nelson.

Its part of the cost of adding a bunch of guys in a hurry - missed cues.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1324769501' post='1079443']
And I'm pretty sure Mays was in there a handful of timea today with Nelson at safety. You may be onto something.
[/quote]

I saw Mays, but don't know if Crock was out. Sometimes they have him play a corner position in a nickel.

They were bringing Mays in when Beanie was busting off those 6 and 7 yarders.

Regardless, Chris Crocker will not be starting on this team next year. Too many blown coverages and shoddy tackling from the guy.

Archived