iPad 3- on sale Friday, March 16th

This shit is about to be bonkers. Oh, BTW, stole this post almost entirely from another website I go to. No shame. But this shit is about to be ridiculous. Here's a bunch of impressions from a bunch of different media outlets. Sounds impressive.

THE VERGE
[quote][color=#333333]Yes, this display is outrageous. It's stunning. It's incredible. I'm not being hyperbolic or exaggerative when I say it is easily the most beautiful computer display I have ever looked at. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you hold this in your hands, or maybe it's the technology that Apple is utilizing, or maybe it's the responsiveness of iOS - but there's something almost bizarre about how good this screen is. After the launch event, I described the screen as "surreal," and I still think that's a pretty good fit.[/color]

Let's be clear: the new iPad is in a class by itself, just as its predecessor was. As the latest product in a lineage of devices that defined this category, the iPad continues to stand head and shoulders above the competition. With the addition of the Retina display, LTE, more memory, and a more powerful CPU, Apple has absolutely held onto the iPad's market position as the dominant player and product to beat.[/quote]

GDGT

[quote][color=#333333]It's the best display I've ever seen. Anywhere, period. And it makes a meaningful difference to the experience — it's not just a spec.[/color]
[/quote]

WALL STREET JOURNAL

[quote]It has the most spectacular display I have ever seen in a mobile device. The company squeezed four times the pixels into the same physical space as on the iPad 2 and claims the new iPad's screen has a million more pixels than an HDTV. All I know is that text is much sharper, and photos look richer. [...][left]Since it launched in 2010, the iPad has been the best tablet on the planet. With the new, third-generation model, it still holds that crown.[/quote]

[/left][left]TECHCRUNCH

[/left][left][quote]

What we have is a 9.7-inch stab of aluminum and glass that when illuminated, becomes an absolutely stunning display of light and color. At first glance, the new iPad is almost indistinguishable from the iPad 2. The same Smart Covers even fit on both. But it doesn't matter what the device looks like. What matters is what you're looking at: the screen.

Web pages look almost as if they're being displayed in a high-quality glossy magazine. Photos look like photos - the printed out kind. Text is razor sharp and crisp, just like print.

Yesterday, I clocked the new iPad using LTE at over 40 mbps down and 20 up on Verizon's network. That's about twice as fast as my current home cable broadband. For good measure, I tethered the new iPad to my iPhone 4S to compare it to Verizon's 3G speeds. It's about 40x faster for downloading.[/quote]

SLASHGEAR
[quote][color=#333333]Apple doesn't need another revolution, it has already started one, and the new iPad brings a fresh degree of refinement to a segment in which it is undoubtedly the king.[/quote][/color]

[color=#333333]MACWORLD[/color]
[color=#333333][quote][/color][color=#333333]The new iPad is just that: The iPad, updated for a new year and millions of new iPad users. It's not smaller or lighter, but it's got a remarkable screen, a much better rear camera, and support for cellular networking that can run at Wi-Fi speeds. It's the iPad that millions of people have embraced, only one year better.[/color]
Users of the iPad 2 shouldn't fret: Their iPad investment is certainly good for another year. But they might not want to look too closely at the new iPad's screen. Once you get a load of that Retina display, it's hard to go back to anything else.[/quote]

THE TELEGRAPH

[quote]If you have been holding off getting a tablet then this is the one to go for. In my view, it's the best that money can buy. Existing iPad owners who are thinking of upgrading should take a look at this new device. You'll see the difference very, very clearly indeed.[/quote]
[/left]

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1331805787' post='1106268']
UPS tracking says mine is currently in Hong Kong, but should arrive tomorrow.
[/quote]

Mine has been sitting in Anchorage Alaska for the past 3 days.

If my iPad got stolen by some damn eskimo, I'm going to be PISSED!

Seriously, I'm pumped. This thing is going to be incredible. I think the thing I'm most excited about is moving my magazine subscriptions to it.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1331814700' post='1106291']

If my iPad got stolen by some damn eskimo, I'm going to be PISSED!

Seriously, I'm pumped. This thing is going to be incredible. I think the thing I'm most excited about is moving my magazine subscriptions to it.
[/quote]

Hustler and Jugs?

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1331814700' post='1106291']

[b]If my iPad got stolen by some damn eskimo, I'm going to be PISSED![/b]

[/quote]

lmao. wow bro

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1331839718' post='1106697']
Just took a second glance at my shipping info, and noticed that the last update actually says it departed Alaska on the 10th. Then there's no update after that. Where the hell did it go? Does Apple have the power to make shipping info just vanish?
[/quote]

It's almost definitely sitting at the UPS warehouse nearest your home.

There are only two things worse for UPS than wasting warehouse space on stuff they want to deliver:

1. Pissing off Apple.
2. Dealing with the mob of Apple customers that would be pestering the UPS warehouse day and night for their iPad.

I'm pretty sure UPS doesn't publish the arrival scans to keep the hoards from storming their castle.

So, to anyone who had their iPad shipped directly to them...did you happen to get the AppleCare with it?

I was expecting to get something with my shipment telling me I got the AppleCare, but I didn't. I went to register it, and they asked me for a registration number, which I don't have. I know when I got AppleCare for my iPhone 4, I got a little packet with it that had my registration number in it. So I'm not real sure what to do.

Archived