Football Gameplan's 2012 Mock Draft Video - March

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332338473' post='1109664']
I don't think there's any chance in hell they take janoris jenkins over trent richardson. And I'd still take kirkpatrick over jenkins IMO.

given how the rest of your board played out I think richardson at 17 and kirkpatrick at 21 would be very realistic.
[/quote]

What do you like most about Kirkpatrick?

[quote name='EmDiggy' timestamp='1332343784' post='1109696']

What do you like most about Kirkpatrick?
[/quote]

very physical, great in the run game, and I like his speed more than most.

this isn't meant to pick on you because far too many mocks do it, but jenkins is a lazy pick. People see a need and his red flags and give him to the Bengals. Sure, they need to add a young corner and have taken risks on some character problems but most people doing mocks overlook one big thing:

Marvin Lewis has never taken a character risk with a first round pick.

Carson Palmer
Chris Perry
David Pollack
Jonathan Joseph
Leon Hall
Keith Rivers
Andre Smith
Jermaine Gresham
AJ Green

The biggest red flag you'll find in there is andre smith's weight, which isn't an issue anymore. There's two main things that ring true for just about every first round pick under marvin: its a safe pick, and they need to be able to contribute right away.

Jenkins doesn't fit that first one and would be a guy with more red flags than all of marvin's other first round picks combined.

I didn't even look at "character" issues with this pick.. I just saw the talent. However, I'd substitute Gilmore with the pick. I'm not as sold on Kirkpatrick, he doesn't catch interceptions.

What would be your ideal 1st round pick(s)

[quote name='EmDiggy' timestamp='1332381687' post='1110172']
[b]I didn't even look at "character" issues with this pick..[/b] I just saw the talent. However, I'd substitute Gilmore with the pick. I'm not as sold on Kirkpatrick, he doesn't catch interceptions.

What would be your ideal 1st round pick(s)
[/quote]

I'll take your word for it, you've always been a good guy to bengals fans, just know that many others lazily do.

based on how free agency has gone, I think these are realistic choices if they are available:

Dre Kirkpatrick
David Decastro
Cordy Glenn
Melvin Ingram
Stephon Gilmore
Trent Richardson
Kendall Wright
Courtney Upshaw

and not for me personally, but if the team sees it as a need:

Luke Kuechly
Dont'a Hightower

I wouldn't rule out Fletcher Cox, but I don't see the team using a first round pick on a rotational DT when they already have 2 entrenched starters.

[quote name='EmDiggy' timestamp='1332419399' post='1110302']
Thanks Cap'n! Does the signing of Green-Ellis take Richardson off the table? Or do you still pull the trigger?
[/quote]

lol I'm no Cap'n.

I absolutely think they take Richardson if he's there. BJGE is a nice veteran presence, but he's probably not a longterm (more than 2yrs) answer and I think they still take a back in the first 4 rounds of this year's draft. His contract details aren't know yet, but I doubt he's making much and could be moved to a backup role if a better back falls in their lap. Bernard Scott is the one who should be on his toes. 28yrs old and not a starter.

The signing of BJGE takes the pressure off of taking a RB early, but doesn't eliminate the need at some point IMO. It just gives them more options.

Thanks for continuing to post your mocks here. It's nice to have a informed non-bengals fan perspective!

Anytime!! I enjoy taking the approach of outsider when looking at a team! I even have Saints fans not approve with my analysis of the home team! I'll always give an unbiased perspective to anything that I'll produce

[quote name='EmDiggy' timestamp='1332422300' post='1110330']
Anytime!! I enjoy taking the approach of outsider when looking at a team! I even have Saints fans not approve with my analysis of the home team! I'll always give an unbiased perspective to anything that I'll produce
[/quote]

how many different teams sites do you post on. All of them? What other Bengals sites?

[quote name='EmDiggy' timestamp='1332419399' post='1110302']
Thanks Cap'n! Does the signing of Green-Ellis take Richardson off the table? Or do you still pull the trigger?
[/quote]

Hell no. :)

The signing of Ellis, and everyone else they have signed, frees them to go straight BPA.

I think it's also an indication that they won't draft Jenkins in 1. Allen, Wharton and Green-Ellis are all known as high character, team guys. I really don't see them taking Jenkins based on that trend.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332422928' post='1110335']

how many different teams sites do you post on. All of them? What other Bengals sites?
[/quote]

I post on EVERY team site around the net.. So, all of the Bengals sites (cincyjungle, BengalsZone, Bengals.com)

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1332436377' post='1110488']

Hell no. :)

The signing of Ellis, and everyone else they have signed, frees them to go straight BPA.

I think it's also an indication that they won't draft Jenkins in 1. Allen, Wharton and Green-Ellis are all known as high character, team guys. I really don't see them taking Jenkins based on that trend.
[/quote]

I wouldn't put to much confidence in Jason Allen... What if the BPA is a WR, that poses an interesting option for a young offense

[quote name='EmDiggy' timestamp='1332469884' post='1110764']

I post on EVERY team site around the net.. So, all of the Bengals sites (cincyjungle, BengalsZone, Bengals.com)

I wouldn't put to much confidence in Jason Allen... What if the BPA is a WR, that poses an interesting option for a young offense
[/quote]

I would prefer one of the OGs and CBs as our firsts but I wouldnt rule our WR or LB either.

What if the BPA is a WR, that poses an interesting option for a young offense
[/quote]

I could see them go Kendall Wright. Maybe flloyd, but I think that's less likely. I'm sure they'll factor in down the road and prospects of keeping both green and whoever they take. Floyd's the type of WR who could command a fitzgerald like contract 4 yrs from now, where kendall wright is more like a desean jackson type player (not that his deal is cheap either).

[/quote]

If used properly he can be a solid player. If the BPA is a WR on their board, then they could well take a WR. Green and Floyd to go with Gresham and Shipley will give DCs nightmares.

If we got Richardson and Kirkpatrick in the first round I would...well I don't know but it would be AWESOME!!!!!

I have a feeling we will take DeCastro with one of the first round picks though, and maybe a wr. I could see Floyd coming here, especially with the success we had with our first round wr last year.

No way Richardson falls to #17, imo. The FA market for rb was extremely weak and any team that need an impact rb knew that Richardson was the best choice available. There are plenty of teams that pick 1-16 who could use his talents, unless the Bengals move into the top 5 I don't see them getting TRich.

Archived