Milton trade?

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
Milton trade may be in National interest
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SAN FRANCISCO | When former Cincinnati Reds manager Bob Boone popped into SBC Park on Tuesday, it wasn't a social visit to schmooze with his former players.

They didn't like each other that much.

It was strictly business. As a special advisor to Washington Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden, Boone was there to watch Reds starter Eric Milton pitch.

And he turned in a favorable report after Milton held the Giants to three runs and six hits over 6 1/3 innings, his second straight quality start.

The question would be whether Major League Baseball, which owns the Nationals, would permit Bowden to invest $17 million over the next two years for Milton.

That, though, isn't what some folks in Washington say is the obstacle. They say that obstacle is a refusal by Reds General Manager Dan O'Brien to return Bowden's phone calls or e-mails.

It's the second time this season that charge has surfaced, the first time in the Dayton Daily News and again Thursday in The Washington Post. O'Brien flatly denies it.

Said The Washington Post report, "Don't look for Eric Milton to wind up in Washington by the July 31 trade deadline. A club source reiterated yesterday that the Reds won't return Bowden's calls and that they aren't going to do anything to help Jim win."

O'Brien is in Billings, Mont., with the club's Pioneer Rookie League team and laughed aloud when the report was read to him.

"I've probably not talked to Jim in about 10 days," he said. "I explained to him at that time that our manager, Jerry Narron, and the coaches asked me for 10 days to two weeks to get a handle on our personnel. He said he would get back to me then."

O'Brien paused and laughed again before saying, "I got an e-mail from Jim Bowden today giving me his new e-mail address."

O'Brien said not much is active on the trade front anywhere right now, "But I expect appreciable activity to pick up during the All-Star Game."

Guest The Carson Show
why does obrien care if he helps bowden win in washington???
still salty i guess
fucking trade milton that sorry ass piece of shit

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Jul 8 2005, 11:54 AM']Milton trade may be in National interest
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SAN FRANCISCO | When former Cincinnati Reds manager Bob Boone popped into SBC Park on Tuesday, it wasn't a social visit to schmooze with his former players.

They didn't like each other that much.

It was strictly business. As a special advisor to Washington Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden, Boone was there to watch Reds starter Eric Milton pitch.

And he turned in a favorable report after Milton held the Giants to three runs and six hits over 6 1/3 innings, his second straight quality start.

The question would be whether Major League Baseball, which owns the Nationals, would permit Bowden to invest $17 million over the next two years for Milton.

That, though, isn't what some folks in Washington say is the obstacle. They say that obstacle is a refusal by Reds General Manager Dan O'Brien to return Bowden's phone calls or e-mails.

It's the second time this season that charge has surfaced, the first time in the Dayton Daily News and again Thursday in The Washington Post. O'Brien flatly denies it.

Said The Washington Post report, "Don't look for Eric Milton to wind up in Washington by the July 31 trade deadline. A club source reiterated yesterday that the Reds won't return Bowden's calls and that [i][b]they aren't going to do anything to help Jim win."[/b][/i]
O'Brien is in Billings, Mont., with the club's Pioneer Rookie League team and laughed aloud when the report was read to him.

"I've probably not talked to Jim in about 10 days," he said. "I explained to him at that time that our manager, Jerry Narron, and the coaches asked me for 10 days to two weeks to get a handle on our personnel. He said he would get back to me then."

O'Brien paused and laughed again before saying, "I got an e-mail from Jim Bowden today giving me his new e-mail address."

O'Brien said not much is active on the trade front anywhere right now, "But I expect appreciable activity to pick up during the All-Star Game."
[right][post="112131"][/post][/right][/quote]
what are they, on crack?
It would help the [i]Reds[/i] win to get rid of him... :lol:

Guest The Carson Show
[quote name='Palmerforpresident9' date='Jul 11 2005, 08:43 PM']hes starting to get in a groove....and if we trade him we will get a prospect from double a that will never do good in aaa...so maybe we shouldnt
[right][post="113294"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
miltons groove is only giving up 5 runs an inning what a fucking loser he is

[quote name='The Carson Show' date='Jul 12 2005, 02:36 AM']miltons groove is only giving up 5 runs an inning what a fucking loser he is
[right][post="113436"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Yeah...If "getting in a groove" is lowering your overall ERA from above 7.00 to just above 5.00, then I'm wondering why he didn't get a bid to play in the All-Star Game...

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Jul 12 2005, 06:52 AM']Yeah...If "getting in a groove" is lowering your overall ERA from above 7.00 to just above 5.00, then I'm wondering why he didn't get a bid to play in the All-Star Game...
[right][post="113451"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'm not going to sit hear and say Milton is great and we really got our money's worth on this guy but.....If you look at his last five starts he has gone six innings or more hasn't given up more than 4 runs. I'm not saying those are Cy Young numbers but it's a marked improvement and things just got better. He has had two starts this month and over those two starts owns a 3.46 ERA, 11Ks and only 2 HRs.....What can't be denied is that his velocity is way up from the beginning of the season to now. His fastball is around 92 MPH and can reach back and push it
to 94 MPH. His mechanics seem to have been worked out and he has been pitching well as of late.

I just don't see the logic in trading him. If we DO trade him it's going to be with the stipulation that we pick up a large sum of his salary this year and the return will be midlevel prospects at best, essentially a salary dump
except we're still paying a lot of that salary.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Claptonrocks
If I was the pitching coach Id have Milton keep the ball down down down..
Id rather him walk every fucking batter until he got it right than keep seeing him get the ball up and make banjo hitters look like the second coming of the BABE!

Archived