Life as a fringe roster player

Huge thanks to JK Schaffer for coming down to the Moerlein Lager House for Beyond the Stripes last night. I figured he would be a great guest and that proved to be true.

Always thoughtful and insightful he painted the picture of what life is like living a dream when you  never know when or if it could be taken away. JK grew up in Cincinnati, was a star at LaSalle, become one of the most loved players in the recent history of UC and now suits up at Paul Brown Stadium for the Bengals. He’s a one-of-a-kind story in this city and has dug himself a little niche at this point in the season.

Remember, Schaffer spent last preseason with Jacksonville, was cut during a camp he made an impact, then sat on the street half the year before joining the Bengals practice squad. He’s now been active for four games — with a six-week drought after playing against Pittsburgh and being essentially dropped back to the practice squad.

How long will it last? In the business of the NFL, nobody really knows. Regardless, he explained what kind of wild ride it’s been.

“It’s been a tough year and half up to this point and it’s starting to smooth out a little bit. One of my buddies, he called it my dues paid story. I have definitely paid my dues and I’ve  been through the hardships of being a free agent NFL football player. It’s not easy. They can get rid of you at any point in time. You can have the best game of your life and walk in the door on Monday and they say sorry, we don’t have any more room for you. It’s definitely been tough but it’s all worth it now. I always knew I was still going to have an opportunity and when I got my opportunity to take full advantage of it. It’s pretty sweet now.” 

Here’s more from JK on the unknown of living a dream unsure if/when it will be taken away:

“It’s awesome but it’s nerve-racking at the same time because you never know when it’s going to be your last time. That’s just the crazy thing about football and especially the NFL you never know when you will have your last play. When we go running out of the tunnel, I am looking around in Paul Brown Stadium where I’ve sat and watched games and watched on TV, it’s a wild feeling, I am not going to lie about it.” 

Also, JK shared an interesting story about when he first got called up for the Steelers MNF game and the surprise he received learning he’d make his NFL debut. I’ve talked to Schaffer about that day a few different times, as have other reporters, and I’ve never heard this story before.

“During the week of practice I knew there was a chance i was going to be brought up, I was taking a few different reps on special teams and went the hotel with the team. The morning of the game, Monday morning, coach Lewis said we are not going to need you for this game stay ready for next game. I asked him if he needed me for anything else the rest of the day, he said no, you are free to go ahead and do what you want. I went back to my place and my buddy called me and said let’s go play some golf. I thought, all right, I got nothing until 8 o’clock at night. We went out to Blue Ash, teed off, I was even through eight holes. That’s not an easy course and I had one unlucky bounce off a sprinkler head, too. We were through eight holes and coach Lewis calls me and says hey, some minds were changed and you are playing tonight. I was like, all right, Nick, I gotta go, buddy.” 

Later in the show, the fun really started heating up when I challenged JK to a putting contest.

BTSPutt-300x225.jpg

Admittedly, I did bring the mini putting green and have some experience with it. I managed to win making two putts to just one for the Bengals linebacker. As I told him last night, that may be the only thing he hasn’t won in Cincinnati.

Though, controversy still hovers over the event.

.@Cincienquirer there was a break in that putting mat that only @pauldehnerjr knew about...I want a rematch on a real green #cheater

— JK Schaffer (@Schaff37) November 27, 2013

I have a feeling the actual round of golf will not go as well for me. But, hey, I’ll always have this moment. Huge thanks to JK for coming on and here is the entire episode to view.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/11/27/the-walkthrough-recapping-the-jk-schaffer-story/

Archived