Merry Christmas Mock

Jason

Assumptions:

1. Picking at 26 to start.

2. Trade back in 1 pick up an extra 3.

3. Two 5th round comp picks.

4. Michael Johnson leaves for more money.

5. AC is re-signed and starts at LT, Whit is moved inside to LG.

6. This is what I would like to see, not necessarily what I think they will do.

1. Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State 

Height: 6-0. Weight: 194. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.47.

In 2013, Gilbert has six interceptions, 40 tackles, seven passes broken up and one kick returned for a touchdown. He had an interception returned 31 yards for a touchdown against Iowa State and a 41-yard pick-six against Texas. Gilbert returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown against Kansas.

2. Carlos Hyde*, RB, Ohio State 

Height: 6-0. Weight: 242. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.

Hyde has averaged 7.7 yards per carry for 1408 yards with 14 touchdowns. He also has 14 receptions for 108 yards and two scores.

3. Kareem Martin, DE, North Carolina 

Height: 6-6. Weight: 265. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.73.

Martin has 78 tackles, 20 tackles for a loss, 11 sacks, three forced fumbles and three passes broken up in 2013.

3.  Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas 

Height: 6-4. Weight: 305.

Swanson helped pave the way for Arkansas freshman Alex Collins to run well this season. Swanson has shown some strength and athleticism at the point of attack.

4. Cody Hoffman, WR, BYU 

Height: 6-4. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.59.

Hoffman recorded 45 receptions for 727 yards and five touchdowns this year.

5. Ron Powell*, OLB, Florida 

Height: 6-4. Weight: 248. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.69.

Powell started the 2013 season strongly and recorded two sacks against Miami. He got banged up and barely played against Arkansas and LSU. Powell finished the season playing solid football and probably will enter the 2014 NFL Draft rather than taking another injury risk. He notched 26 tackles with seven tackles for a loss and four sacks.

5. Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina 

Height: 6-3. Weight: 215. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.76. 

12/21/13: Renner greatly missed Gio Bernard, Jonathan Cooper and Brennan Williams this year. North Carolina disappointed overall and struggled to develop consistency on offense. Renner completed 66 percent of his passes for 1,765 yards with 10 touchdowns and five interceptions. He missed the game against Virginia Tech before coming back for two games.

5. Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas 

Height: 6-0. Weight: 180. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.46. 

Byndom has 50 tackles, six passes broken up and zero interceptions this year. He has been solid, but not impressive.

6. Aundrey Walker*, OT/G, USC 

Height: 6-6. Weight: 300. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.18. 

The Trojans moved Walker inside to guard for 2013. That appears to have paid off as Walker looks improved this season.

7.  Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn 

Height: 6-0. Weight: 260. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.85. 

Prosch has run the ball 12 times in 2013 for 38 yards with two touchdowns. He has five receptions for 95 yards, too. Prosch has been a phenomenal run-blocker and put on a clinic against Georgia, Alabama and Missouri.

I like it overall.

Love Gilbert in the 1st. Hyde would be a great compliment to Gio. I don't think the Bengals are going to be looking to spend another 2 on RB (I could see a 3 or 4), but like you said, this is what you would do. I wouldn't mind it either, just don't see it happening.

My only slight disagreement is that you have 2 interior OL (Walker isn't going to play OT in the NFL, he is really slow) and no OTs. If it was up to me, we would draft an OT early and not an interior guy. Or in an ideal world, it would be an OT who could also slide into OG like a young Andrew Whitworth. As a fellow Buckeye, I like Jack Mewhort for that role. He reminds me a lot of Whit and I think he is being underrated due to not being an unbelievable athlete (like Whitworth).

I'm okay with the Whit-Cook-Zeitler trio inside, but admittedly I don't watch the OL closely enough to grade a guy like Cook and determine whether an upgrade is needed or not. My lazy default is that the Center, as QB of the OL, gets graded in large part based upon how well the line carries out its overall responsibilities and on how many miscommunications occur during the game. Right now it seems the Bengals have less of those issues than at any time in a very long time, so I personally give Cook the benefit of the doubt. 

I love the mock but don't think we'll be getting 4 top 50 guys with our first 4 picks.  Still, if we came away with 3 of those I'd be ecstatic, and two would make me pleased.

Rankings based on current Walterfootball.com projections.

Rankings based on current Walterfootball.com projections.

Do yourself a favor and throw your computer in the toilet :D

Seriously, though, I don't hate Walters as much as most, bc they do a good job consolidating info -- but he is just terrible slotting players, especially this early. Walter is simply a parrot and a fan.

Of course, none of the rankings are that dependable this time of year especially, but I would rely on nfldraftscout (CBS) more if I were you.

Gilbert has regularly been pegged as a low first top of second guy, so I'll leave that there.

Carlos Hyde will go the lowest of your first 4 IMO, but after watching a couple of his games late in the season I see no worse than middle of the third and I think he may go as high as the middle of the second.

Swanson is getting late first round consideration almost everywhere.  Walter is a holdout, and last I checked was still all over Brian Stork from FSU.  I did do a little watching of Swanson and IMO he's the real deal and shouldn't go lower than top 50.

Kareem Martin will go in the second before it's all done.  He's had a year that finally lives up to his first that was so promising, and is among the national leaders in sacks along with prototypical measurables.  The ding on him will be whether or not he's got an effort problem and only plays for his contract. You may remember a lot of the same stuff was said about one Michael Johnson, so I'm hoping he falls to us at the bottom of the second if the Bengals are looking DE (and unless they keep MJ I think they will).  Still, he's been showing up in various first round mocks lately.  Walter is simply late in catching up, but you can bet he will before long.

Do yourself a favor and throw your computer in the toilet :D

Seriously, though, I don't hate Walters as much as most, bc they do a good job consolidating info -- but he is just terrible slotting players, especially this early. Walter is simply a parrot and a fan.

Of course, none of the rankings are that dependable this time of year especially, but I would rely on nfldraftscout (CBS) more if I were you.

Gilbert has regularly been pegged as a low first top of second guy, so I'll leave that there.

Carlos Hyde will go the lowest of your first 4 IMO, but after watching a couple of his games late in the season I see no worse than middle of the third and I think he may go as high as the middle of the second.

Swanson is getting late first round consideration almost everywhere.  Walter is a holdout, and last I checked was still all over Brian Stork from FSU.  I did do a little watching of Swanson and IMO he's the real deal and shouldn't go lower than top 50.

Kareem Martin will go in the second before it's all done.  He's had a year that finally lives up to his first that was so promising, and is among the national leaders in sacks along with prototypical measurables.  The ding on him will be whether or not he's got an effort problem and only plays for his contract. You may remember a lot of the same stuff was said about one Michael Johnson, so I'm hoping he falls to us at the bottom of the second if the Bengals are looking DE (and unless they keep MJ I think they will).  Still, he's been showing up in various first round mocks lately.  Walter is simply late in catching up, but you can bet he will before long.

PFF, PFT, and Walter's are all the same for their respective fields.  

Great for finding consolidated info, stay away from anything having to do with their opinion.

Archived