History on Bengals side in coordinator shuffle

Don't know if this has been posted already.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/History-on-Bengals-side-in-coordinator-shuffle/5a42bb4d-d13d-4cd7-8d2b-5b837abe3537

History on Bengals side in coordinator shuffle

Posted 5 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.com

Maybe losing their offensive and defensive coordinators is exactly what the Bengals needed. At least according to three examples in the past 20 years.

Although there is no all-time list since varying responsibilities can't be explained in titles, ESPN and Elias  Sports Bureau offered the three clubs Wednesday. The year after they lost them, two went to a conference title game and one got a first-round bye, results the Bengals would have taken this season.

The most recent example came after the 2006 season when Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron became head coach of the Dolphins and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips went to Dallas as head coach. But the Chargers were able to go 11-5 to win the 2007 AFC West title before getting beat by the Patriots in Foxboro in the AFC title game.

After losing offensive coordinator Chris Palmer to coach the expansion Browns and defensive coordinator Dick Jauron to coach the Bears, the 1999 Jaguars rebounded to rip through the season 14-2 and earn a home game for the AFC title, where they were upset by the Titans.

In 1994, 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Shanahan became the head coach in Denver while defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes went to Philadelphia and San Francisco ended up winning the NFC West in 1995 at 11-5 to earn a bye and home game, where Green Bay upset the Niners in the division round.

The Vikings made official late Wednesday night the hiring of Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, but it sounds like they won't introduce him until Friday. The Bengals plan to introduce linebackers coach Paul Guenther as Zimmer's successor Thursday in an 11:30 a.m. news conference at Paul Brown Stadium.

“I’m grateful to the Wilf family, [G.M.] Rick Spielman and the entire Vikings organization for giving me an opportunity to join a franchise with such a strong tradition and an extremely passionate fan base,” Zimmer said in a news release via profootballtalk.com.  “I believe in a disciplined and physical brand of football and I look forward to getting to work on leading a team capable of long-term success.”

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said in a statement issued by the team, "We are excited to welcome Mike as the new leader of the Minnesota Vikings. He has a proven track record of success at every stop in the NFL and we look forward to him maintaining that consistency here in Minnesota.”

I was listening to NFL radio on Sirius yesterday, while John Madden was on.  He basically said that he felt the Bengals did a good job in promoting from within, and that it leads to more stability.  He felt that it would not be a problem, because the new Coords already know the players, the other staff, and the way the organization operates, so the learning curve will be very minimal.

I was listening to NFL radio on Sirius yesterday, while John Madden was on.  He basically said that he felt the Bengals did a good job in promoting from within, and that it leads to more stability.  He felt that it would not be a problem, because the new Coords already know the players, the other staff, and the way the organization operates, so the learning curve will be very minimal.

This has probably been stated before but...

With these "rookie" coordinators there's now less push from within the staff to take ML's job next year. Since soP likes the esiest path and not going outside for coaches, ML's leverage for a new contract got stronger. Not that I think he should be HC in 2015.

This has probably been stated before but...

With these "rookie" coordinators there's now less push from within the staff to take ML's job next year. Since soP likes the esiest path and not going outside for coaches, ML's leverage for a new contract got stronger. Not that I think he should be HC in 2015.

I don't think this was ever in the dynamic, really.  The goal of the organization is sustained success that can be maintained after Mike Brown retires and the new owner is less of a day to day football guy.  My take is that Marvin will be that director of operations.

honestly I think the Bengals have enough talent to make a deep post season run next year,and from what I have heard they won't change offensive scheme to much and the defensive scheme change a whole allot ether.

Archived