Fire TV?

On of my Roku boxes is randomly crashing. I am using plex quite a bit on both, but I don't think that is causing the issue.

Mine does the same thing, and from what I've found it's a pretty common issue; they get to a certain age, and that's just what they do... 

With playon do you need a PC running? What does it 'give' you?

I've been using it for years, as I started as a beta tester 5 or 6 years ago.

Aside from being a basic DLNA system that streams Hulu, Netflix, CBS, etc., it allows you to play your own movies and music via the Roku/PS3/TV much like PLEX.  A really cool feature it has is a plugin called "PlayLater", which allows you to record streamed content.  Say you want to watch or catch up with shows on Hulu or Netflix, you just set it to record those shows, and it saves them to your computer so you can copy them off and watch them later offline if you wish, or via the MyMedia plugin and stream it to your TV.  Pretty slick shit.  I've so far been able to record dozens of Frontline specials and a bunch of old TV shows of which I'm a fan.

The downside is it only runs on Windows, so I run it in a VM in Virtualbox on my BSD server.  Works just fine, and it works great running as a VM in OS X as well... 

Sounds cool. Right now I am trying to get away from having a machine running all the time. The nas I have plex on won't transcode (no surprise). But when I covert they files run just fine.

Yeah, that's the dream.  We plan on retiring to a 600 SQ FT flat in Nice, so I'm hoping Moore's Law holds sway for the next 15 years or so as I'd like everything to fit in the size of a stack of books... 

Archived