Griffey might be leaving.

DaltonGreen

I just read an article saying that griffey might be out of here on reds.com i rilly think that he should stay all we have to do is keep winning these next week of games so that he think we are getting better and we have to make some aquisitions from joe randa and adam dunn. Please God answer my prayers that griffey wont leave! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] :unsure:

[quote name='cantstop85' date='Jul 21 2005, 04:10 PM']I just read an article saying that griffey might be out of here on reds.com i rilly think that he should stay all we have to do is keep winning these next week of games so that he think we are getting better and we have to make some aquisitions from joe randa and adam dunn. Please God answer my prayers that griffey wont leave! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img]   :unsure:
[right][post="117282"][/post][/right][/quote]

no way...unload that salary. For like the 10th consecutive year, it looks like the Reds are in a rebuilding stage. Griffey's bat can go, it's not worth what we're paying for it. It's not like he's some kind of hailed fan favorite either.

Let get rid of some of the big contracts and build the teams around some solid pitching. Maybe someone in the Reds front office should pick up a copy of Moneyball.

[quote name='emc334' date='Jul 21 2005, 07:17 PM']no way...unload that salary.  For like the 10th consecutive year, it looks like the Reds are in a rebuilding stage.  Griffey's bat can go, it's not worth what we're paying for it.  It's not like he's some kind of hailed fan favorite either. 

Let get rid of some of the big contracts and build the teams around some solid pitching.  Maybe someone in the Reds front office should pick up a copy of Moneyball.
[right][post="117287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
so you are trying to say that we should let go one of our best players as of right now to get pitching?C'mon we should let go of dunn and randa and get pitching. Then its as if we aint lose nothing and maybe we can make the wild card if we make these winning ways last.** i heard we might be trading randa for CC sabathia -he is good and while we are at it trade milton and ortiz!and get somemore descent pitching like VETERANS! its a frustrating time but hopefully everything works out.
GO BENGALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='cantstop85' date='Jul 21 2005, 04:24 PM']so you are trying to say that we should let go one of our best players as of right now to get pitching?C'mon we should let go of dunn and randa and get pitching. Then its as if we aint lose nothing and maybe we can make the wild card if we make these winning ways last.** i heard we might be trading randa for CC sabathia -he is good and while we are at it trade milton and ortiz!and get somemore descent pitching like VETERANS! its a frustrating time but hopefully everything works out.
GO BENGALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[right][post="117289"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Wow, you are like the ultra optomist. At 13.5 games back and with 10 teams ahead of us, I don't think we're exactly posed for a wildcard run. Getting rid of Dunn is virtually the same as getting rid of Griffey, it's not like Junior is an allstar. Randa for CC is great in my mind, but we're far from any kind of post season run.

Junior is, Was and will always be an all star. He's a lock for the hall. All century...

His salary is cheap, he is a fan favorite and the greatest player to ever wear a reds uniform.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]

Guest Whodey420
Griffey is a great player and all but his best seasons were with the Mariners so with that being said I think that Bench and Morgan might have something to say about Junior being the best ever to wear a Reds uniform....

I know Morgan wore a couple other uni's in his playing time but he's best
known as the 2nd baseman for the Big Red Machine....

Just my opinion though.

Trade Griffey if you can.

You never know about C.C.

I follow the Indians, and I know their fans hate him. He is inconsistant, flips them off, is extremely imature, and wears his hat sideways (they really hate that for some reason).

The Indians are one cheap ass team, they have a deep pitching farm system, so it wouldnt surprise me if the unload him.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='The Scales' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:22 PM']Junior is, Was and will always be an all star.  He's a lock for the hall.  All century...
His salary is cheap, he is a fan favorite and the greatest player to ever wear a reds uniform.
[right][post="117351"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Agreed !
I don`t give a fuck what he is making.
It`s not like if they dumped his contract that
they would sign a couple of PROVEN TOP NOTCH Pitchers
with it. Griffey has gotten hurt PLAYING THE GAME.
He has HR power...he hits for average. He draws fans in.
It would be stoopid to trade him...

I recently heard it said on ESPN that it is very unlikely that Jr. will get traded. The reasons:
He has a no-trade clause and there are very few teams that he would be interested in going to.
None of the teams he's interested in have expressed much or any interest in trading for him.
His salary is too high to make it worthwhile for those teams to make a trade. That is, their money is better spent on greater needs in their lineups.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='Jul 22 2005, 12:55 PM']I recently heard it said on ESPN that it is very unlikely that Jr. will get traded.  The reasons:
He has a no-trade clause and there are very few teams that he would be interested in going to.
None of the teams he's interested in have expressed much or any interest in trading for him.
His salary is too high to make it worthwhile for those teams to make a trade.  That is, their money is better spent on greater needs in their lineups.
[right][post="117583"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You gotta think that the yankees will make a push at him because there looking for a centerfielder because bernie isnt what he used to be. The sad thing is that we wont get shit for him because thats how the reds trade. I would like to see C.C here. I think he would be pretty good i just dont want to make any of our players here have to suffer up in that shithole.

Also i dont think we should trade dunn...his defense may be horrible but he can play first base in case of a casey injury or if casey leaves.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Palmerforpresident9' date='Jul 22 2005, 01:08 PM']You gotta think that the yankees will make a push at him because there looking for a centerfielder because bernie isnt what he used to be.  The sad thing is that we wont get shit for him because thats how the reds trade.  I would like to see C.C here. I think he would be pretty good i just dont want to make any of our players here have to suffer up in that shithole.

Also i dont think we should trade dunn...his defense may be horrible but he can play first base in case of a casey injury or if casey leaves.
[right][post="117592"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

you would honestly want dunn to play first base on a consitant basis?? i sure wouldn't..

we are pretty spolied w/ casey at first... he has a .999 fielding percentage so far this year... not too bad... wonder what dunns would be [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/33.gif[/img]

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Palmerforpresident9' date='Jul 22 2005, 02:47 PM']haha well if they end up trading casey because i thought i heard trade rumors...i wish dunn wouldnt strike out so damn much though.
[right][post="117657"][/post][/right][/quote]

if we trade casey and dunn, not only will i consider slitting my wrist, but i will be wanting a new first baseman... i DO NOT want to see dunn at first everyday... he is getting better at fielding, but he isn't good enough to be a first baseman imo...

is it just me, or has he cut back on the SO's lately though?? :unsure:

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='CoolieMan' date='Jul 22 2005, 08:44 AM']Griffey was great in Seattle...I just don't see where he has been GREAT as a Red....damn...hasn't he missed half of each season since they got him?

Greatest Red ever?    I would think of Johnny Bench before Griffey jr.....
[right][post="117524"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The quote was...(The Scales @ Jul 21 2005, 09:22 PM)
Junior is, Was and will always be an all star. He's a lock for the hall. All century...
His salary is cheap, he is a fan favorite and the greatest [b]player[/b] to ever wear a reds uniform."

Griffey hit 40 HR`s his 1st year with the Reds. He has hit
at least 20 HR`s every season except 2 he has been with the Reds.
And that was because he played70 games or less those seasons.
He got hurt playing hard for the Reds. He was on the All-Century team.
He is a lock for the Hall-of-Fame. And he IS the greatest PLAYER to
ever wear a reds uniform...

Thanks Old i was going to reply with something about reading and comprehension but ya beat me too it.

If we have a chance to send Griffey to a contender, and can get some good/great arms, well he can always come back to the team later on. I'd love to see him get a ring, even if it's with another club.

hi guys, im relatively new to the forum but i would like to share my views with you about what i feel is best for the redlegs:

1. i understand that casey is a fan favorite and also has a ridiculous contract, but i would try to trade him and get what i can for him. he is a great guy but his body doesn't fit his hitting style. you cant be 240lbs. a singles hitter and play firstbase. the reds need more power out of a firstbaseman.

2. move adam dunn to firstbase. i understand his fielding may suck but look i believe that with more work during the offseason and springtraining he can get better. i dont like his strikeouts but dunn is the kind of hitter a firstbaseman should be. and please move dunn up in the order to the number 3 spot, then you will see him drive more guys in and cause more problems by getting on base.

3. Wily mo has to go. i am the biggest wily mo fan on this website but i feel he is not what the reds need. they have too many of the same type of hitters-all or nothing-.i believe that you can trade wily to someone,hopefully in the Al, and get some good pitching and also i would hope to get a speedy outfielder-contact hitter type of player.

4. and last, freel is your everyday secondbaseman. the man plays the game the way its suppose to be played. i think he is good for the team when he is at the top on the lineup. he along with the speedy outfielder i was talking about would be a great 1-2 start of the lineup more like what fla. had win they won it all.

tell me what you guys think.

-and lastly if you could package milton and wilson in a deal for the best player in the little league world series this year and a happy meal i'd do it

Whelp, Randa got traded. Griff will NOT be traded. Dunn has more trade value than Casey, esp if you're looking for any type of quality pitching in return. Y'know, sometimes I hate Reds fans. They bitch about Griffey being hurt (EVERY time on a hustle play!), but when he finally stays healthy and finally puts together a season, y'all want to trade him away...and for what? Do you really think a contending team will give away a quality pitcher for him? While they are in the middle of a pennant race? Be realistic.
I thought Reds fans were supposed to be "knowledgable".
We have very little to offer a contending team in return for quality pitching. If they need a good bat, we've got it, but the reality is is that great pitching is far more valuable than anyone's bat. Unless you're the Yanks. In which case you suck by default. :)

Guest BengalsOwn
My prediction is that no more moves will be made. I really really hope that Griffey stays. His storyh is one of the great professional sports tragedies of the century. I'd love to see him last an entire season, and then come back next season and have another great one.

Anyone think Lindner will spend about $40 million in free agency on different pitchers, while keeping the current offense in tact?

That's what we need to even consider the world series.

Archived