Question about tires....

Montana Bengal

So I've got a set of snow tires that is either done or on it's last season.  My guess is that the tires were a bit over-inflated and the center has worn down more than the edges.

Except for the center, the tires look like they would be good for another season....my question is:  Is it worth pushing them one more season or am I taking a risk by having them put back on.

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is, but I thought I'd check with you all to see if you had any thoughts.

Tires and brakes are things I don't mess around with, so you know my vote.  Also, since snow tires are specialty tires used to get more traction, using ones with worn tread seems wrong.  On the other hand, if they are studded, then you might have a usability argument.

It really sucks that tires are so expensive though, so I feel your pain.

Check tirerack if you're worried about if they will last.

I buy my tires from there and nowhere else. Best prices. 

Speaking of TireRack...

I used to get tires online at TireRack, but the last couple times I've needed tires, I found that their significantly higher shipping prices ($20-30/tire) combined with costs of local ala carte mounting/balancing resulted in total price higher than local options.  FWIW, I've bought my last couple sets of tires from Sam's Club.  Your Mileage May Vary.

That is whAt I was thinking...we got hammered with snow last week and all the shops are backed up. I think I will try to head in first thing Saturday morning to see if the can sneak me in. I am pretty sure I have chains just in case i can't get in then. Roads have cleared up and the all weather are pretty solid...but nothing beats a good set of snow tires out here.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback!

Archived