Post Game analysis thread

Gave up my tickets as a preseason game just is not worth a personnel day. I just do not have enough of them and will need at least 4 for regular season games.

At any rate, how about a post game analysis thread. Trying to read through the official game thread is reading through too many oh no's and Rudi ! Rudi! Rudi's!

Anyone up for some real game analysis? I have not yet but will be watching the game this afternoon, Damn work!!!

With the moves Perry put on display last night, it's no wonder the Bengals were reluctant to rush him back into the lineup. There is no way he could juke like that, twisting his torso every which way if he had a tear in his abdominal muscle.
Rudi looks as strong as ever too. Palmer will be fine, he just needs to shake off the rust. Our starting O-line looks great too.
On defense, I thought we looked pretty good...most of our miscues happened with 3rd stringers in, etc.
We missed too many turnover opportunities, though. Can't drop those picks like that. Robinson looks awesome in the middle, and Geathers looked good as well. Odell looked like a rookie to me. He made some tough hustle plays but sometimes seemed a little lost in coverage. Ah well, a rookie.

Geathers = :thumbsup: Very encouraged :)

Perry = :thumbsup: Another great weapon for Palmer

Palmer = :thumbsdown: Several underthrown balls but no reason to panick

Thornton = :thumbsdown: Don't think he played much but I saw him standing around on a few plays, I think the closest he got to making a play is when the announcer mistakenly credited him with Geathers sack

Justin Smith = :thumbsdown: :thumbsup: Looked good going to his right and helping Thurman bring down Dillon but then seemed to be manhandled one on one a lot

Rudi = :thumbsup: We are set at RB

CB's = :thumbsup: We are set at CB

Just what I noticed but I'm no expert

Guest bengaljet
Othell makes a RB think OHell. A rookie with GREAT closing speed-IMO the most impressive LB ever to wear #51 for Bengals . Side to side he's impressive,but does need work on the runs right at him IMO.
Perry was as good as Marvin says.
Geathers looked good.
Stacy Andrews(#79) when he gets the footwork down is going to be damned good.
Rudi was Rudi.
I liked the backside pursuit,but need to make a play at the point of attack.
After the 1st qtr. toal offense :Bengals 87,Pats 37.
The final score wasn't what we wanted ,but I'm not all that disappointed.

Guest oldschooler
[b]Positives Offense:[/b]
Rudi & Perry looked (sounded) good
Wilson looked good too.
Our running game was in mid-season form.
No one got hurt.

[b]Negatives Offense:[/b]
They left the passing game in Georgetown.
Palmer was off bad. QB rating of 8.5 ! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/13.gif[/img]
Schobel and Washington NEED to
catch balls that are thrown to them.

[b]Positives Defense: [/b]
Robinson & Odell looked (sounded) good
Geathers is an upgrade over Clemmons.
Langston Moore had a good game...3 tackles, 1 sack 1 forced fumble.
O`Neal picked one off.
4 sacks for the Defense.

[b]Negatives Defense:[/b]
Run Defense looked like they were in mid season form (2003)
Landon holding his shoulder...hope it isn`t serious.

Everyone else needs to make plays and
catch balls that are thrown to them

[b]Special Teams Positives and Negatives:[/b]
Graham would have made all 3 FG`s.
And Larson was punting like Kitna throws...
2 punts for a 35.5 avg... he is better than that.
Good thing it was Pre-Season...

Guest happyrid
Just a couple other things, because I agree with all that has already been posted. It seemed like our run D was solid up the middle, but that everytime they ran outside, they got big yards.

I thought that Kim Herring looked sorta crappy. He tackles like a cornerback, just sort of diving at the legs and doesn't wrap up, allowing guys to fall forward 4 more yards. Anthony Mitchell didn't really stand out either, though there was one play where he went for the tackle, fell down and then got back up and came from behind to make the play and almost force a fumble. At least he was playind hard.

Guest mongoloido
They need to do a lot of tackling drills this week.

Henry, Washington, Shobel need to practice catching the ball (I think TJ dropped one too and needs to practice)

Palmer needs to lead Chad on those deep balls, not float them

Chris Perry needs to not lower his head and run up the gut.

Krenzel and Bramlet looked bad. They had some real blooper reel material.

Chris Henry should break out the video footage of Pickens in the redzone. Just put him in the corner of the endzone and throw a jump ball. That dude is tall!

Our first string defense looked okay, but it's hard to guess how much of that was Rohan Davey looking terrible.

Guest mongoloido
Oh yeah. I thought Graham's friend did okay once he settled down. He got conned by a small breeze just before that first field goal attempt (the flag on the upright was blowing a touch before he kicked, then died right before the snap. it looked like he pulled it the other way. my guess is the arena guy got spooked and tried to compensate for a tiny gust instead of the normal dead air), but pulled it all together after that. Nothing spectacular, but hopefully good enough to land him a job with another team.

hahaha, nice call scales, lol.

perry looked great, i was even more impressed with rudi, i think he looks even faster than last year, i thought it looked like carson was alright, there were some dropped passes too. finally got to see kelley washington do the 1st down pose again, that was great, brought a smile to my face, lol. and odell is who i was most impressed with all night, this kid is gonna be a stud!

First team offense did pretty well except they didn't score any TDs but that will work out.
I thought the run defense for the first half was good with the exception of Dillon's 20 yard run to the outside.

I didn't think Bramlet or Krenzel played too badly considering there out with 3rd and 4th stringers. I think Krenzel got robbed of that TD to Broussard at the end of the game. (his foot looked in to me but very close).

By the way, where was Kenny Watson? was he injured?

Can't wait til next game to whoop on the Deadskins. :whistle:

I'm surprised noone has mentioned Brandon Williams. That kid lit it up. He made 3 or 4 consecutive tackles then nearly picked off that pass in the endzone. Too bad he slipped and gave up the td pass though. Chris Perry is going to be a STUD. I was surprised how much penetration the d-line was getting but that was some of the worst tackling I've ever seen...they need to run only tackling drills for a week straight. I came home half way through the second quarter to find that the game was on...I couldn't beleive it. I live 3.5 hrs away from Cinci north of Columbus...about creamed in my pants when I saw it was on. By the looks of it NBC4 in Columbus is going to be having all Bengals games :headbang: I don't know if anybody else watched it on the same station but the intro and cut-to-commercial music was extremely gay.

Here are my personal observations throughout the game:

Ratliff really impressed me. He took on a lineman on a screen, shed the block, and made the tackle. He will definantly improve the run D on the outside. He will be an eventual replacement for James. Looked sharp.

Other than one play, the 1st team run D looked solid. Robinson looks to be a GREAT pickup and JT played a lot better at 3 tech. Thurman was explosive running sideline to sideline and got good penetration.

Thurman was exposed on some pass plays. He looked like he was drifting out of his zone, but I was really impressed with him. He can lay out some stick for sure!

Williams? #29 was getting picked on all game and didnt handle it too well. He got better as the game went on, but I dnt think hell have a roster spot without marginal improvement.

Simmons got juked busting up a play in the bakcfield. He didnt play that bad though.

Bresnahan needs to call some QB contain if the QB is gonna keep running like that.

Perry looked WICKED! Man he had an awesome spin move, and turned a loss into a great run. Look for him to get a ton of yards off of draws this year. If he can keep healthy, Watson wont see any playing time.

Eric Ghiaciuc looked pretty good. He got good leverage on running plays, and did pretty good on pass pro.

Stacy Andrews looked good again. Pass pro was good, still a little high on running plays. He needs to develope a mean streak.

Rudi! Rudi! Rudi!

Henry looked pretty good. I didnt get to see him play a lot. But he made that TD catch in traffic so.....

I swear Schobel needs to CATCH the ball! :rant: You can tell that guy has a QB mentality about getting hit...

Washington looked pretty good, but that dropped pass was all his fault. Right in the chest.

#83 (Farmer?!?!? jk) Looked good. Good hands, and worked well in traffic.

Thats pretty much it off of the top of my head. I got the game taped so Im sure Ill have more to say down the road. Im just glad football is back in action. :thumbsup:

WHO DEY!?!

k wash did nothing to impress me
carson was a bit iffy but i was glad to see us go balls out on the first play, he'll get that long ball back its not a concern in the least
rudi and perry looked sexy
i was impressed with odells performance only bc you could see him working his ass off out there, if he keeps that same enthusiasm and picks up on the game a bit hell be damn good
love geathers, love smith, love landon
i think all and all we did pretty damn good against the team who won the super bowl the year before we did

[quote name='IHeartCarsonandChad' date='Aug 13 2005, 01:38 PM']k wash did nothing to impress me
carson was a bit iffy but i was glad to see us go balls out on the first play, he'll get that long ball back its not a concern in the least
rudi and perry looked sexy
i was impressed with odells performance only bc you could see him working his ass off out there, if he keeps that same enthusiasm and picks up on the game a bit hell be damn good
love geathers, love smith, love landon
i think all and all we did pretty damn good against the team who won the super bowl[b] the year before we did[/b]
[right][post="130279"][/post][/right][/quote]

Awesome!! :afropic:

Guest mongoloido
I just had something running through my head (doesn't happen often, so don't fret): Do you think our defense is so shitty tackling because they aren't allowed to actually practice tackling during practices? Could it be that they are supposed to treat the offensive stars with such kid gloves that they wind up trying to arm tackle in games? I swear it looks like these guys are trying to two-hand touch in games and get shocked when no one blows the whistle after any contact...

I'm glad Odell didn't get that memo. :afropic:

But i hear what your saying....It was alitte difficult at times for me to tell who missed a tackle..couldn't see #s all the time.

I'm hoping that it was mostly second and third teamers who got smoked.

The Patriots do hold alot, cheatin bastages.

Guest BengalsOwn
Chris Perry looked decent. Looked like he didn't want to be out there though.

Chad Johnson was already complaing to Hugh Jackson about getting the ball.

Carson looked pretty bad.

Run D looked good sometimes, and looked awful other times.

Justin Smith dominated.

Geathers will have a huge year.

Rudi looked excellent.

Chris Henry didn't impress me. He didn't do anythinjg until he was playing against third teamers. Of course that may be because Palmer and Kitna looked God Awful out there.

Stacy Andrews looked pretty good.

Ghent blew a block big time while playing TE.

Krenzel = Garbage Juice (worst than just regular garbage)

I wasn't too impressed with anything last night. I loved the offensive playcall to start the game, too bad it backfired REAL bad.

Larson didn't look too good either. Did anyone else notice that?

Cliff Russell was pretty decent returning kicks.

I wanted to see more passing to Chris Perry.

The TV broadcasters suck.

Where was hoosh?

That's about it for now.

Also, I think Brady is injured, but belichick doesn't want it to be publicized yet. Supposedly he didn't hardly throw all week in practice, and reports are that he has looked awful all training camp.

Carson's old backup looked really really good lasat night...

[quote name='The Scales' date='Aug 13 2005, 02:34 PM']The Patriots do hold alot, cheatin bastages.
[right][post="130295"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You know there were more than a few times while I was watching the game last night that I thought the same thing. I know everyone does it, but it seemed a lot more obvious to me last night.

On several runs that went to the outside, there was a Bengal that was already "outside" of his blocker, and he still couldn't get separation. Come on now, the only explanation is if the defender had his equipment stuck to the blocker, or was being blatantly HELD.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Aug 13 2005, 02:36 PM']Carson looked pretty bad.
Run D looked good sometimes, and looked awful other times.
Justin Smith dominated.
Geathers will have a huge year.
Rudi looked excellent.
Chris Henry didn't impress me. He didn't do anythinjg until he was playing against third teamers. Of course that may be because Palmer and Kitna looked God Awful out there.
Stacy Andrews looked pretty good.
Ghent blew a block big time while playing TE.
Larson didn't look too good either. Did anyone else notice that?
Cliff Russell was pretty decent returning kicks.
I wanted to see more passing to Chris Perry.
The TV broadcasters suck.
Where was hoosh?
Carson's old backup looked really really good lasat night...
[right][post="130296"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Aug 13 2005, 02:36 PM']Chris Perry looked decent. Looked like he didn't want to be out there though.

I was more impressed by Chris Perry than any one else the entire game. I thought he played very, very well, and "wanted" to be out there.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Aug 13 2005, 02:36 PM']Chad Johnson was already complaing to Hugh Jackson about getting the ball.

I was disappointed in Chad. I thought he could have given more effort and tried to get to both long balls better than he did. Maybe even breaking up the interception and/or catching the 2nd long ball.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Aug 13 2005, 02:36 PM']Larson didn't look too good either. Did anyone else notice that?

Absolutely. His punts were short, low, no hang time, especially compared to what he is capable of, and compared to the Pats punter. Hopefully just preseason rust.

[quote name='esjbh2' date='Aug 13 2005, 04:15 PM']You know there were more than a few times while I was watching the game last night that I thought the same thing.  I know everyone does it, but it seemed a lot more obvious to me last night.

On several runs that went to the outside, there was a Bengal that was already "outside" of his blocker, and he still couldn't get separation.  Come on now, the only explanation is if the defender had his equipment stuck to the blocker, or was being blatantly HELD.
[right][post="130310"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

*puts ESJBH2's name into the "good" book* [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img]

I guess if your the werld champs you can get away with more blatant holding. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]

What I noticed last night compared to last years game against the pats was a team taking it a lot easier IMO. Last year it seemed like we was playing that game like it was a reg season game as far as player intensity went. Last night the players (vets mostly) seemed to be just in practice mode which I think is just another one of MLs plans to rest the players more in pre-season and let them bring it on opening day and getting that elusive fast start happening...

[quote name='RoyT' date='Aug 13 2005, 05:26 AM']Chris Mutha Fuckin Perry!!! Wooot!!! I actually think he may have been the gem of the draft last year after watching him last night. He can really put the moves on a defence...
[right][post="130189"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I agree....I just hope he can stay healthy. I won't get to see the game here in Dallas, but did catch it on the internet and apparently the [i]other[/i] CP was pretty impressive. He broke a couple of nice runs and they say he has nice moves.

If K. Wash wasn't so damn talented, I'd say cut him. Chris Perry is the real deal and when he's fully healthy, he's going to be fun to watch.

Odell looked good, needs more experience and B. Williams looked like he's a competitor after getting picked on early. Too bad I don't see him making the team.

Carson looked bad and Chad pulled a TO with Hugh Jackson but I dont think either of those should be lingering problems as Marvin will tell Chad to shut up and play and Carson will get back in the swing of things soon(er than later I hope)

Herring needs to be/play bigger if he's going to be SS. He can barely tackle a RB heading towards him, this worries me. After the first line of defense, our DBs are soft and if they get too many runs towards them, I fear they will become softer as the game/season goes along.

Archived