The Pro Bowl - Not important

Hi fellow Bengals and NFL fans. Iam an old NFL fan, and iam stuck in how things were 20 + years ago. I remember the days when a player was selected to be a member of the Pro Bowl team, that it meant something special, it was something big for the player and to the fans of the team he played for. I remember when the Pro Bowl was played, it was basicly an ALL-STAR game of the NFC vs AFC. I miss those days, It was also played after the Super Bowl, so that if a player was selected to go to the Pro Bowl, and his team happens to be in the Super Bowl, he still had the chance to go to Hawaii after the Super Bowl. Sadly, the NFL has made so many changes that the game is actually a bore. The players that are selected end up declining to go either because his team is in the Super Bowl, or he has an injury.Many of the players that are selected end up not going. So there is replacements. And now the teams are selected by former players, Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice. The game is no longer a conference competition, but just a basic street game. I pick a player, you pick a player, reguardless of what conference he played in. The uniforms are just horrorible. And the game itself has become a joke. So to me, if a player is selected to be in the pro bowl, its not that impressive anymore. The NFL should just cancel the game all together, and if a player is nominated as a team all pro player, then honor him and that will be it.

I remember when Corey Dillon broke his arm playing in it.   I have no desire for a semi-competitive game.   I'm not sure why that game causes such a fuss all the time.

The TV ratings are in decline but still competitive with MLB and NBA all-star games.   But it was moved back to cable TV meaning the networks thought they could show something more attractive in that spot.

As long as there is a network willing drop millions to show it.  The NFL will hold the game in some form.   That's it main purpose.  

Archived