Better to be picking #9 than #1 this year

More than in years past, I feel like this draft’s prospects are mostly rated upside down and thus it is better to be picking 11-20, than 1-10. Hopefully, the Bengals are in the sweet spot at #9, where they can take the best player, and not the most hyped one.

For instance, I think Mahomes and Kizer will be better QB’s than Watson and Trubisky (who I think is pure trash). Mahomes is actually the only QB that I would fear an AFC North team (like the Stealers) getting, as I think he has elite Rodgers-esque arm strength. But leave it to the Browns to potentially take the 4th best QB (Trubisky) with the #1 overall pick. 

I also think that Cook and McCaffrey will be better pro RBs than Fornette (who is only a 1st and 2nd down back)… that Derek Barnett is a far better pass rusher (with the stats to prove it) than Garrett (who may go #1 despite having half of his sacks last year in one game vs scrubs).  I think that Jabrill Peppers is better than both Hooker and Adams who both may go in the top 5, despite the fact he drank lots of pre-combine water after some dank Hindu Kush.

On the LB front, I think it’s possible that Reddick may be a better pro than Foster, and I also think that the WR class is not great and (with the exception of Corey Davis) the all-pros will come from the mid-rounders that nobody is talking about. I think this OT class is very weak at the top (weakest in like 10 years), along with the CB and DT class, and that the only truly strong and deep position is TE (with Howard as the clear front runner and only player who defies this upside down trend).

So with all that said, picking 9 is likely better than picking 1 all things considered, as I feel like most of those top 7 picks will turn into a “what if we had taken _____ instead”  type picks.  

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Unless you need a pass rusher. 

I don’t get the consensus number one status of Myles Garrett at all. :7:

People compare him at 6’4 270 lbs, to Julius Peppers 6’7 290 lbs and I don’t see it at all. To me, Garrett is much closer to Justin Smith coming out (went #4 to the Bengals).

There were 6 games last year where Garrett had 0 sacks and didn’t do a damn thing. He disappears in college games against subpar competition. He only had 8.5 sacks, and 4.5 of those came against UT San Antonio (which I didn’t even know had a football team). Lol

0 sacks when he played Alabama … in fact Cam Robinson owned him. 0 sacks against LSU. Whenever he played against players who will be in the NFL he vanished. 1 tackle in his bowl game, that's it. Now sure he looks great running with his shirt off, but this isn’t Baywatch.

Game Stats link

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3122132/myles-garrett

13 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

I don’t get the consensus number one status of Myles Garrett at all. :7:

People compare him at 6’4 270 lbs, to Julius Peppers 6’7 290 lbs and I don’t see it at all. To me, Garrett is much closer to Justin Smith coming out (went #4 to the Bengals).

There were 6 games last year where Garrett had 0 sacks and didn’t do a damn thing. He disappears in college games against subpar competition. He only had 8.5 sacks, and 4.5 of those came against UT San Antonio (which I didn’t even know had a football team). Lol

0 sacks when he played Alabama … in fact Cam Robinson owned him. 0 sacks against LSU. Whenever he played against players who will be in the NFL he vanished. 1 tackle in his bowl game, that's it. Now sure he looks great running with his shirt off, but this isn’t Baywatch.

Game Stats link

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3122132/myles-garrett

He's not a perfect prospect and could use a little technique refinement, but his size/athleticism is pure freak.

6 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

lol

It's funny you laughed, and here we are at pick 15 ... and Mahomes (the best QB) was taken #10 ahead of Watson, and Reddick was taken ahead of Foster. Corey Davis the only top WR imo also went first, leaving the Bengals to add to our all IR team with John Ross. FML  

Archived