Barry Bonds

Guest Master Shake

Is Bonds right now the best hitter ever?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is Bonds right now the best hitter ever?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Master Shake
He hit another home run tonight. This guy is really unbelievable. Misses the whole year and comes back in mid-season form. I know many will discredit anything he did because of steroids, and I think there's little doubt that he took them. But so did a lot of players in the 90's and no one came close to doing what he is. But is Bonds, the total package, steroids and all, the greatest hitting machine that has ever lived? I know I've never seen anyone like him, and no matter how despicable he is, his greatness is undeniable.

Guest Claptonrocks
Why was Ted Williams a greater hitter than Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig?
Taking nothing away from Ted but Ruth outhomered most Teams in a given season!!! People say that Williams missed 4 years due to the war or his totals would have been that much more remarkable and thats true but dont forget that Ruth Pitched for his first 5 seasons and played those years in the deadball era... Ruth may have achieved 1000 homers if not for those reasons....
As for Gehrig... look at all the RBI's he had and he batted in back of the Babe!!
His totals speak for themselves and he did it in just 15 years!!!

Guest CrazyIrishman5

[quote name='Claptonrocks' date='Sep 29 2005, 09:15 PM']Why was Ted Williams a greater hitter than Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig?
Taking nothing away from Ted but Ruth outhomered most Teams in a given season!!! People say that Williams missed 4 years due to the war or his totals would have been that much more remarkable and thats true but dont forget that Ruth Pitched for his first 5 seasons and played those years in the deadball era... Ruth may have achieved 1000 homers if not for those reasons....
As for Gehrig... look at all the RBI's he had and he batted in back of the Babe!!
His totals speak for themselves and he did it in just 15 years!!!
[right][post="159950"][/post][/right][/quote]
Ted Williams hit .400! Hitting .400 is the hardest thing to do in baseball, that why no one has broke it in 64 years and thats why Ted Williams is the greatest hitter of all time!!!!!! :contract:

Guest Claptonrocks

[quote name='CrazyIrishman5' date='Sep 30 2005, 04:41 AM']Ted Williams hit .400!  Hitting .400 is the hardest thing to do in baseball, that why no one has broke it in 64 years and thats why Ted Williams is the greatest hitter of all time!!!!!! :contract:
[right][post="160075"][/post][/right][/quote]
Im not going to get in a pissing contest about Ruth or Williams.. Hell they were both great hitters.....400 was a great achievment but Rogers Hornsby hit .424 and had a .358 lifetime average..Why isnt he the greatest hitter then?
You say hitting .400 is the hardest thing to do in baseball and I would say now it is but before all these hopheads starting using roids hitting 60 homers had only been done twice so Id say it was just as hard.
You say poTAto and I say PoTAyto who cares..

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='#22' date='Oct 1 2005, 01:51 PM']The competition is much worse than it ever has been in baseball.
same as football
[right][post="160540"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes, these guys would dominate today
[img]http://www.turtletrader.com/images/babe-ruth-swing.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.hickoksports.com/images/kelly_king.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.cmgworldwide.com/baseball/young/images/photos/young3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.bearstalkinfo.com/4grange.jpg[/img]

Psyche...c'mon, get real...nowadays these sports actually have athletes playing them.

Guest Claptonrocks
In "their" day they were the greatest among their peers...
Athletes today are stronger... its not fair to say that someone lilke Ruth wouldnt be a great player today if he had the training and technolgy that present day players have...
His hitting accomplishments were greater than Bonds.. He actually outomered all but 2 teams in the american league in 1920!

Guest Master Shake

[quote name='Claptonrocks' date='Oct 2 2005, 11:25 AM']In "their" day they were the greatest among their peers...
Athletes today are stronger... its not fair to say that someone lilke Ruth wouldnt be a great player today if he had the training and technolgy that present day players have...
His hitting accomplishments were greater than Bonds.. He actually outomered all but 2 teams in the american league in 1920!
[right][post="160918"][/post][/right][/quote]

I agree...but does anyone doubt that if we had a time machine and brought Barry back to Ruth's era (I guess we would have to alter his skin color to make him eligible :( ) I'm sure he'd put up better stats.
I mean...look at the film...Ruth has a long, slow, looping swing, but it worked for him against the pitching of the age. I doubt the 20's ever saw anyone with the lightning-quick compact power stroke that Bonds has.

I hate Barry Bonds.
Really, [i]really[/i] badly.
He to me represents the type of behaviors that I find least desirable in a professional athelete, not the least of which is obvious cheating with steroids (whatever--don't argue the point, it is clearly true in his case....), his shitty attitude towards fans and the media, the sense of self-entitlement to the game because of Daddy and his monstrous ego.
I really hate that guy.
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angel.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Oct 4 2005, 01:25 AM']I hate Barry Bonds.
Really, [i]really[/i] badly.
He to me represents the type of behaviors that I find least desirable in a professional athelete, not the least of which is obvious cheating with steroids (whatever--don't argue the point, it is clearly true in his case....), his shitty attitude towards fans and the media, the sense of self-entitlement to the game because of Daddy and his monstrous ego.
I really hate that guy.
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angel.gif[/img]
[right][post="162809"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

FUCKING DITTO!

Ted Williams was the greatest. The man whould have compiled numbers that DWARFED Bonds had he not gone to war like a true American hero.

Ted won TWO triple crowns, showing just how dominant a hitter he was during his era. He won 2 MVP's, but neither of them came in the Triple Crown seasons. Therefore, you could make a case he should have won AT LEAST four of the awards.

Barry Bonds deserves a big ol' one of these next to his name when he heads into the Hall of Fame:

[b]*[/b]

Bonds has one of if not the best swings I have ever seen; Rose's swing was different but I swear he could place a hit ball better than I could probably throw to any location on the field (even if he spot a distance of 30 feet from target).

Ted Williams hit .400 and he had power; enough said there.

It has been said by Claptonrocks "Ruth hit more Home Runs than all but two teams one year. He pitched the first five years of his career and was 2-0 in the World Series with a sub 1.00 ERA
Hank Aaron had 8,000 more at bats than Ruth with 41 more HR's; and as of 2003 Barry Bonds had more than 2,000 at-bats than Ruth.

In truth, it would be hard to compare era's, Pitcher's in Ruth's era stayed in games longer than today, but the equipment (balls & bats) are better today; not to mention some of the stadiums today are launching pads.

Note: Ruth swung a 40oz bat, that is huge.

Guest ohwhyknott
[quote name='Master Shake' date='Oct 1 2005, 02:39 PM']Yes, these guys would dominate today
[img]http://www.bearstalkinfo.com/4grange.jpg[/img]
Psyche...c'mon, get real...nowadays these sports actually have athletes playing them.[/quote]
With all of rule changes, If I have to hear-" Jerry Rice was the greastest reciever of all time" one more time, I think I'm going to scream! He did'nt have to worry about getting his head knocked off on every play! I liked, Lance Alworth, & Paul Warfield! & are you really saying that Red Grange was'nt an athelete? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Guest ohwhyknott

[quote name='Jason' date='Sep 22 2005, 07:55 PM']Not even close.  Before he got on the juice, he was nowhere near being considered for the greatest.  Ted Williams is the greatest hitter of all time.[/quote]Good old Stan (the man)-Pete Rose & Ty Cobb could also swing a pretty good bat! But, Ted Williams was the man! :bowdown: I can't believe the Astros, Might get a chance for their World Series! It's about time, with their pitching!

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='ohwhyknott' date='Oct 10 2005, 09:25 PM']With all of rule changes, If I have to hear-" Jerry Rice was the greastest reciever of all time" one more time, I think I'm going to scream! He did'nt have to worry about getting his head knocked off on every play! I liked, Lance Alworth, & Paul Warfield! & are you really saying that Red Grange was'nt an athelete? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]
[right][post="167258"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

What do you think Grange's 40 time was?

How many reps at 225?

Could he survive at QB in a game where athletes are now round-the-year, finely-tuned instruments of destruction. Do you think Grange ever had to stand in there against guys like Julius Peppers or Dwight Freeney??? No way...he was great for his time, but the bar has been raised in the past 50+ years.

Archived