1st Amendment huh ???? Cindy Sheehan Arrested at State of the Union....

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
[size=3][quote][u]Activist Cindy Sheehan Arrested at Capitol
LAURIE KELLMAN
Associated Press Writer [/size][/u]

WASHINGTON - Cindy Sheehan, the mother of a fallen soldier in Iraq who reinvigorated the anti-war movement, was arrested and removed from the House gallery Tuesday night just before President Bush's State of the Union address, a police spokeswoman said.

Sheehan, who was invited to attend the speech by Rep. Lynn Woolsey (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., was charged with demonstrating in the Capitol building, said Capitol Police Sgt. Kimberly Schneider. The charge was later changed to unlawful conduct, Schneider said. Both charges are misdemeanors.

Sheehan was taken in handcuffs from the Capitol to police headquarters a few blocks away. Her case was processed as Bush spoke.

Schneider said Sheehan had worn a T-shirt with an anti-war slogan to the speech and covered it up until she took her seat. Police warned her that such displays were not allowed, but she did not respond, the spokeswoman said.

Police handcuffed Sheehan and removed her from the gallery before Bush arrived. Sheehan was to be released on her own recognizance, Schneider said.

"I'm proud that Cindy's my guest tonight," Woolsey said in an interview before the speech. "She has made a difference in the debate to bring our troops home from Iraq."

Woolsey offered Sheehan a ticket to the speech — Gallery 5, seat 7, row A — earlier Tuesday while Sheehan was attending an "alternative state of the union" press conference by CODEPINK, a group pushing for an end to the Iraq war.

Sheehan, wrapped in a bright pink scarf against the cold, protested outside the White House with a handful of others before heading to the Capitol Tuesday evening. There were no cameras around, but the small band faced the executive mansion and repeatedly shouted, "You're evicted! Get out of our house!"

Sheehan was arrested in September with about 300 other anti-war activists in front of the White House after a weekend of protests against the war in Iraq. In August, she spent 26 days camped near Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, where he was spending a working vacation.[/quote]

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060201/ap_on_go_pr_wh/state_of_the_union_sheehan"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060201/ap_on_...e_union_sheehan[/url]

Sure, there's a dress code in there. I didn't see ANY T-shirts in there when watching, and I watched it in Hi-Def.

Besides, it was probably that nasty ass dirty t-shirt she hasn't washed in months that she's never taken off. Disgusting.

Anyone hear she's running for Senate?

Guest BlackJesus

[center][i][size=3]I hope I don't have to point out to you the irony that Bush repeatedly used the word "Freedom" in a speech ....

where in the same room a woman was arrested for expressing an Anti War t-shirt.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img] :rolleyes: [/size] [/i][/center]

Guest BengalBacker
Time and a place for everything.

She's an attention whore being pimped around by the sleaziest of the democrats.

A woman whose son was killed in the war is against the war. Sur-fucking-prise, sur-fucking-prise. If she wants to run for office, fine, but she needs to stop the circus grandstanding shit just to get on tv and the democrats need to stop using her for their political gain. The shit is so transparent it's repulsive.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]

I think some people may be missing the point...

Should she be allowed into the building if she does nit meet dress code? NO

Should she be ARRESTED and processed, and spend the night in jail for breaking a dress code??

That sounds down right communist if you ask me.

I want to know when it became against the law to wear political clothing? I don;t like Sheehan, and I agree with most of what has been said here about her (and I didn't support going to war in Iraq). But I also don't support ARRESTING people for wearing the wrong shirt.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Lucid' post='211835' date='Feb 1 2006, 03:53 AM']I think some people may be missing the point...

Should she be ARRESTED and processed, and spend the night in jail for breaking a dress code??

I want to know when it became against the law to wear political clothing? I don;t like Sheehan, and I agree with most of what has been said here about her (and I didn't support going to war in Iraq). But I also don't support ARRESTING people for wearing the wrong shirt.[/quote]

[quote]Police warned her that such displays were not allowed, but she did not respond[/quote]

[quote]Sheehan was to be released on her own recognizance[/quote]

Psychotic attention whore.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='211836' date='Feb 1 2006, 04:01 AM'][quote name='Lucid' post='211835' date='Feb 1 2006, 03:53 AM']

I want to know when it became against the law to wear political clothing? I don;t like Sheehan, and I agree with most of what has been said here about her (and I didn't support going to war in Iraq). But I also don't support ARRESTING people for wearing the wrong shirt.[/quote]

[quote]Police warned her that such displays were not allowed, but she did not respond[/quote]

[/quote]

You detain her, and let her know she will not be allowed to enter with her current attire, and inform her that if she attempts to enter she will be arrested for tresspassing.

If she resists, or tries to enter anyway, then you areest her and charge her with tresspassing. Seems logical to me. I don;t know the whole story, but the charges were "criminal misconduct" (I think).

Personally I think they just did it to get her out of the way, and I would be willing to bet the charges get dropped unless there is something to it that I haven't heard. But the last statement released by police was that she was being tranported to HQ for processing, and that she was cooperating well.

Honestly, like I said.. I don;t care about her. But the "rugged individualist" american in me finds it hard to stomache someone getting arrested for wearing the wrong shirt.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Lucid' post='211837' date='Feb 1 2006, 04:07 AM'][quote name='BengalBacker' post='211836' date='Feb 1 2006, 04:01 AM']
[quote name='Lucid' post='211835' date='Feb 1 2006, 03:53 AM']

[/quote]

You detain her, and let her know she will not be allowed to enter with her current attire, and inform her that if she attempts to enter she will be arrested for tresspassing.

If she resists, or tries to enter anyway, then you areest her and charge her with tresspassing. Seems logical to me. I don;t know the whole story, but the charges were "criminal misconduct" (I think).

Personally I think they just did it to get her out of the way, and I would be willing to bet the charges get dropped unless there is something to it that I haven't heard. But the last statement released by police was that she was being tranported to HQ for processing, and that she was cooperating well.

Honestly, like I said.. I don;t care about her. But the "rugged individualist" american in me finds it hard to stomache someone getting arrested for wearing the wrong shirt.
[/quote]

[quote]The charge was later changed to unlawful conduct, Schneider said. Both charges are misdemeanors.[/quote]

[quote]Sheehan, wrapped in a bright pink scarf against the cold, protested outside the White House with a handful of others before heading to the Capitol Tuesday evening. There were no cameras around, but the small band faced the executive mansion and repeatedly shouted, "You're evicted! Get out of our house!"[/quote]

It's the State of the fucking Union address !!!!

Psychotic attention whore being pimped and used by the sleaziest of the democrats.

So do you think that people should not be allowed to shout political protests a a political event?

I don't know man.. I may not like what a protester is saying, but I think it is every Americans duty to stand up for what they believe.

As long as they aren't disrupting people from carrying on with thier lives, or causing property damage they should be left alone.. People have a right to protest the government. And while I may not agree with them, I will fight for thier right to do it.

Like I said.. She shouldn't have been allowed in, but unless she was interfering with people, or otherwise breaking the law, she should have been left alone.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Lucid' post='211839' date='Feb 1 2006, 04:19 AM']So do you think that people should not be allowed to shout political protests a a political event?

I don't know man.. I may not like what a protester is saying, but I think it is every Americans duty to stand up for what they believe.

As long as they aren't disrupting people from carrying on with thier lives, or causing property damage they should be left alone.. People have a right to protest the government. And while I may not agree with them, I will fight for thier right to do it.

Like I said.. She shouldn't have been allowed in, but unless she was interfering with people, or otherwise breaking the law, she should have been left alone.[/quote]

Two things could have happened if she was let in. She might have sat there quietly. She might have caused a scene. She already defied what she was told to do, and she's done nothing but cause scenes everywhere she's gone so I'd say odds are pretty good she would have caused a huge disruption.

Regardless of your feelings about Bush, it's THE STATE OF THE FUCKING UNION ADDRESS !!!!! The office itself deserves and demands at least the respect to do whatever is necessary to try to prevent a fucking circus from erupting. Clinton would have just made sure she had some mysterious "accident" by now.

Psychotic attention whore being pimped by the sleaziest of the democratic party.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='211841' date='Feb 1 2006, 04:35 AM'][quote name='Lucid' post='211839' date='Feb 1 2006, 04:19 AM']
So do you think that people should not be allowed to shout political protests a a political event?

Like I said.. She shouldn't have been allowed in, but unless she was interfering with people, or otherwise breaking the law, she should have been left alone.[/quote]

Two things could have happened if she was let in. She might have sat there quietly. She might have caused a scene. She already defied what she was told to do, and she's done nothing but cause scenes everywhere she's gone so I'd say odds are pretty good she would have caused a huge disruption.

Regardless of your feelings about Bush, it's THE STATE OF THE FUCKING UNION ADDRESS !!!!! The office itself deserves and demands at least the respect to do whatever is necessary to try to prevent a fucking circus from erupting. Clinton would have just made sure she had some mysterious "accident" by now.

Psychotic attention whore being pimped by the sleaziest of the democratic party.

[/quote]

Uhh... Did you just repeat yourself?

I said I didn't think she should be let in... I just said I don't think she should have been arrested. It was probably what she wanted anyway.. Let her at least break a law first.

Like I said, if someone can provide a reason she was arrested besides not adhering to dress code I will agree that she should have been arrested.

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='Lucid' post='211843' date='Feb 1 2006, 04:41 AM']Uhh... Did you just repeat yourself?[/quote]
Probably.

She's a psychotic attention whore being pimped by the sleaziest of the democratic party.
:265:

[quote name='Lucid' post='211843' date='Feb 1 2006, 04:41 AM']I said I didn't think she should be let in... I just said I don't think she should have been arrested. It was probably what she wanted anyway.. Let her at least break a law first.

Like I said, if someone can provide a reason she was arrested besides not adhering to dress code I will agree that she should have been arrested.[/quote]

:contract:

It's the STATE OF THE FUCKING UNION ADDRESS !!!!!

Dumbass psycho-bitch.

I agree with Lucid here, she shouldnt have been allowed in (Give it up BJ, it's the same as if you or I tried to go to a club that had a dress code underdressed). However she shouldnt have been arrested if she did nothing illigle. Im curious as to what the whole story is, and exactly why she was arrested, did she attempt to force her way in? Did she say something to the cops that could have been threating? Ect.. ect..

Ill reserve my judgement on it untill there is a whole story, despite what I think of Cindy Sheehan. (And I do feel for her as someone who isnt grieving in the best of ways).

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='211898' date='Feb 1 2006, 09:10 AM']I agree with Lucid here, she shouldnt have been allowed in (Give it up BJ, it's the same as if you or I tried to go to a club that had a dress code underdressed). However she shouldnt have been arrested if she did nothing illigle. Im curious as to what the whole story is, and exactly why she was arrested, did she attempt to force her way in? Did she say something to the cops that could have been threating? Ect.. ect..

Ill reserve my judgement on it untill there is a whole story, despite what I think of Cindy Sheehan. (And I do feel for her as someone who isnt grieving in the best of ways).[/quote]

I heard she had a banner :unsure: ; against House rules.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Ms. Sheehan deserves all of our respect, that means you Backer, her son was sacrificed for our "security". For those who call her names(Backer), what have you sacrificed for this country, have you sacrificed a life that you developed in your body for 9 months, suffered unimaginable pain to bring into the world, nutured and supported for 18 years? Probably not.

It's not right to say to her "get over it" or call her "psychotic attention whore Dumbass psycho-bitch", who are you to tell when to stop grieving her son's death.

Another reason why I respect Cindy Sheehan is she is actually doing something, she is getting involved in a cause she believes in. How many people do you know who constantly bitch and moan about life but never act, Sheehan is doing what she feels to be the right thing to do.

Besides the whole world knows this is a bullshit invasion founded on lies and decite, how can the reasons for war change in the middle of it? You know it too, Sheehan has the balls to face our government head on and call them on their bullshit, that is what is great about America the fact that she has the right to do that. Anybody who has the moxy to try and show up this dipshit who stole elections and now is the president, I can respect.

She had a ticket from a Rep. from California. She was wearing a t-shirt referring to the number of dead in Iraq. She was asked to cover it. She refused. She was arrested.

IMO:
1) Not a dress code thing, per se. I've been in offices there in some pretty informal clothing.
2) I think there is a statute pertaining to when and where one can protest on Congress property. Every time I've been there we had a permit for the steps at a designated time.
3) She was probably in violation of the statute.
4) While I think the State of the Union addresses have progressively become more farcical over the last couple of decades, her presence may had added to the circus, if she had plans to "do an intervention."
5) I don't know if she had such plans or was simply going to let the t-shirt make her point.
6) I'm amazed that people get so worked up over a gal like this. In context, it ain't so much. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//37.gif[/img]
7) The speech was terrible, does anyone think he really thinks or talks like that. But some of the content was okay. More nukes. :bowdown: More science and math education :headbang:
8) On the other hand: saying "terrorist surveillance" doesn't change the fact that he is probably breaking the law and certainly ignoring the spirit of the Constitution. :contract:
9) And on economics, he friggin' clueless.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Lawman' post='211909' date='Feb 1 2006, 09:29 AM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='211898' date='Feb 1 2006, 09:10 AM']
I agree with Lucid here, she shouldnt have been allowed in (Give it up BJ, it's the same as if you or I tried to go to a club that had a dress code underdressed). However she shouldnt have been arrested if she did nothing illigle. Im curious as to what the whole story is, and exactly why she was arrested, did she attempt to force her way in? Did she say something to the cops that could have been threating? Ect.. ect..

Ill reserve my judgement on it untill there is a whole story, despite what I think of Cindy Sheehan. (And I do feel for her as someone who isnt grieving in the best of ways).[/quote]

I heard she had a banner :unsure: ; against House rules.
[/quote]

i heard the same thing... from a congress woman on foxnews this morning, who said she saw it...

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='211915' date='Feb 1 2006, 09:46 AM']She had a ticket from a Rep. from California. She was wearing a t-shirt referring to the number of dead in Iraq. She was asked to cover it. She refused. She was arrested.

IMO:
1) Not a dress code thing, per se. I've been in offices there in some pretty informal clothing.
2) I think there is a statute pertaining to when and where one can protest on Congress property. Every time I've been there we had a permit for the steps at a designated time.
3) She was probably in violation of the statute.
4) While I think the State of the Union addresses have progressively become more farcical over the last couple of decades, her presence may had added to the circus, if she had plans to "do an intervention."
5) I don't know if she had such plans or was simply going to let the t-shirt make her point.
6) I'm amazed that people get so worked up over a gal like this. In context, it ain't so much. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//37.gif[/img]
7) The speech was terrible, does anyone think he really thinks or talks like that. But some of the content was okay. More nukes. :bowdown: More science and math education :headbang:
8) On the other hand: saying "terrorist surveillance" doesn't change the fact that he is probably breaking the law and certainly ignoring the spirit of the Constitution. :contract:
9) And on economics, he friggin' clueless.[/quote]

1. I have been in the room that its held in in jeans and a tshit as well. My question is what is the dress code during time of speeches and such. I know I had interviewd for a job working with NASA a few years ago that part of it would have been having to bring a suit into work so that when required I could go testifiy before congress, so while Im sure there are lax dress requirments during the day to day stuff, I'd be supprised if that was the case during formal events.

2, 3 and 4. Good point this is probabally the case

she wasnt arrested for a dress code violation. She was arrested because it is against the law to have any type of protest in the government buildings. They gave here a chance to cover it up and when she didnt they arrested her.

here is the link:
[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11120353/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11120353/[/url]

[quote]Schneider said Sheehan had worn a T-shirt with an antiwar slogan to the speech and covered it up until she took her seat. Police warned her that such displays were not allowed, but she did not respond, the spokeswoman said.[/quote]

The thing is that if you need to cover it up and sneak it in then she knew it was wrong. So she has no ground to stand on.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='211913' date='Feb 1 2006, 09:40 AM']Ms. Sheehan deserves all of our respect, that means you Backer, her son was sacrificed for our "security". For those who call her names(Backer), what have you sacrificed for this country, have you sacrificed a life that you developed in your body for 9 months, suffered unimaginable pain to bring into the world, nutured and supported for 18 years? Probably not.

It's not right to say to her "get over it" or call her "psychotic attention whore Dumbass psycho-bitch", who are you to tell when to stop grieving her son's death.

Another reason why I respect Cindy Sheehan is she is actually doing something, she is getting involved in a cause she believes in. How many people do you know who constantly bitch and moan about life but never act, Sheehan is doing what she feels to be the right thing to do.

Besides the whole world knows this is a bullshit invasion founded on lies and decite, how can the reasons for war change in the middle of it? You know it too, Sheehan has the balls to face our government head on and call them on their bullshit, that is what is great about America the fact that she has the right to do that. Anybody who has the moxy to try and show up this dipshit who stole elections and now is the president, I can respect.[/quote]

My concern is that she isnt honoring the memory of her son's ideals. He reinlisted and belived in what he was doing, now while you and I may disagree, I would hope that if I died in beliving what I was doing that my parents wouldnt go out and dishonor that by protesting the very thing I believed in.

Again I feel for her, she's lost her son, no one should ever have to out live their kids. But I question if she's honoring the belifs of her son.

If attention mongering is her way of grieving for her dead son, whom willingly joined our volunteer armed forces, then hey, who are we to tell her she can't do what she's doing? She has no political agenda, right? She's just a grieving mother! Lay off!!
-_-

Archived