I HAVE A VIDEO GAME DISABILITY

Guest ONYX

The thing is, I cannot play first person shooters or perspective video games.

I cannot play Quake, Halo, Ghost Recon, or Call of Duty, etc on my 360.

If I do, about 10 - 15 minutes after I start playing, I literally become sick.

When you play in first person, you must do a lot of panning up and down and from
right to left and etc., well that makes me light headed, dizzy and nauseous.

Ive tried a variety of things to remedy the problem, I bought a bigger tv (62 inches),
Ive tried wearing sunglasses.....that didnt work, hell I even tried poppin tylenol before I
played.

Does anyone know anybody else with this problem. Is there a cure?

If not, I am seriously considering applying for a handicapped parking
sticker and monthly disability checks. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img]

I've heard of people getting motion sickness because of video games before.

If you were REALLY insistant on trying to play them, get some dramamine. It's an OTC medicine for motion sickness.

I'd think that playing the newest FPS games are like running around at warp speeds, and seeing the "world" tilting and moving around at breakneck speeds could make motion sickness symptoms come out of people that do not usually experience them otherwise.

That's my diagnosis. I'll send you my bill - I don't accept your insurance plan, so you'll be charged the full office visit price.

are you palying with the lights off or sitting pretty close to the TV?

i know when i used to play with the lights off, i got hella dizzy and sick feeling, but with all the lights on, your eyes can see the stable ground around the screen as a base to not get dizzy, etc.

even with the lights on, if your real close to that 62" tv, your going to have the same problem. your eyes to stabalize on something.

This article Preventing Motion Sickness [swmed.edu] says that motion sickness is caused by your brain getting signals that don't coincide - your body says you're not moving, your eyes are sending signals of a static car, and your inner ear is saying, whoa we're doing 60mph... So, is our brain actually taking the visual input of certain games and translating them as us moving while our inner ear is reporting that we're at rest?

Also here is a /. thread on it this may offer some suggestions

[url="http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/00/06/02/0337257.shtml"]/.[/url]

Guest ThurmanMunster
that sucks that u cant play halo, i cant go 5 days without playing halo 1 with a bunch of people. altho we play it for tournaments and such.

if ur referring to halo 2 then ur not missing anything because halo 2 sucks.

in those games u dont have to look around so much unless u have an unsteady hand, so ur problem could be ur gameplay and not the game itself.

and Go was right, have the lights on and sit farther away. the size of the tv could truly be the problem so if u have a smaller tv around i would try that. i know when i played halo on our big screen it bothered me a little. I always play on 20 or 27 inch tvs.

[quote]If you were REALLY insistant on trying to play them, get some dramamine. It's an OTC medicine for motion sickness.[/quote]

Thanks, eventually I may have to try that.

[quote]That's my diagnosis. I'll send you my bill - I don't accept your insurance plan, so you'll be charged the full office visit price.[/quote]

You capitalistic swine!!!!......... oops wrong forum ......... :ninja:

[quote]are you palying with the lights off or sitting pretty close to the TV?[/quote]

Yep, :lol: probably about 6 feet away.

[quote]i know when i used to play with the lights off, i got hella dizzy and sick feeling, but with all the lights on, your eyes can see the stable ground around the screen as a base to not get dizzy, etc.

even with the lights on, if your real close to that 62" tv, your going to have the same problem. your eyes to stabalize on something.[/quote]

i have had this problem for a while now. I remember the first time I got sick, I was playing Turok and
Goldeneye 007 on the N64.

That was back in the day when my tv was a whole lot smaller. Thank God, I dont have this problem
when I play Madden, NCAA football, or fighting games. :headbang:

[quote]I would say that your TV is way to big, i have an extra 13' tv in my garage that i would be willing to swap for the 62'.[/quote]

Thank you, you are so kind, but I dont think so.

[quote]and Go was right, have the lights on and sit farther away. the size of the tv could truly be the problem so if u have a smaller tv around i would try that. i know when i played halo on our big screen it bothered me a little. I always play on 20 or 27 inch tvs.[/quote]

yeah, i know, but once you go 62 inches....you cant go back.

Thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup:

[quote name='ONYX' post='227259' date='Mar 7 2006, 03:41 PM'][quote]If you were REALLY insistant on trying to play them, get some dramamine. It's an OTC medicine for motion sickness.[/quote]

Thanks, eventually I may have to try that.

[quote]That's my diagnosis. I'll send you my bill - I don't accept your insurance plan, so you'll be charged the full office visit price.[/quote]

You capitalistic swine!!!!......... oops wrong forum ......... :ninja:

[quote]are you palying with the lights off or sitting pretty close to the TV?[/quote]

Yep, :lol: probably about 6 feet away.

[quote]i know when i used to play with the lights off, i got hella dizzy and sick feeling, but with all the lights on, your eyes can see the stable ground around the screen as a base to not get dizzy, etc.

even with the lights on, if your real close to that 62" tv, your going to have the same problem. your eyes to stabalize on something.[/quote]

i have had this problem for a while now. I remember the first time I got sick, I was playing Turok and
Goldeneye 007 on the N64.

That was back in the day when my tv was a whole lot smaller. Thank God, I dont have this problem
when I play Madden, NCAA football, or fighting games. :headbang:

[quote]I would say that your TV is way to big, i have an extra 13' tv in my garage that i would be willing to swap for the 62'.[/quote]

Thank you, you are so kind, but I dont think so.

[quote]and Go was right, have the lights on and sit farther away. the size of the tv could truly be the problem so if u have a smaller tv around i would try that. i know when i played halo on our big screen it bothered me a little. I always play on 20 or 27 inch tvs.[/quote]

yeah, i know,[b] but once you go 62 inches....you cant go back.[/b]

Thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup:
[/quote]

thats what she said.

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='227392' date='Mar 7 2006, 07:31 PM']Wow. I've read those disclaimers on video games warning about them causing seizures in some people, but I never took them seriously until now![/quote]

Yea, my lil cousin had a seizure a few years back when she was playin a video game. It... wasnt good. She's ok, tho, but yea, take those for real.

Guest steggyD
Wow, sneaky, you have no reason to live now. I suggest you go to your local department store and pick up some rope, or maybe just a belt.

Public Disclaimer: This post is not meant to be taken seriously by sneaky or any other people who cannot enjoy life by playing FPS games. This post is also not meant to be taken seriously by Steelers' fans with sand in their vaginas.

[quote name='Natifan' post='227522' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:10 PM']I can solve all your problems.

all you have to do is...............................................

......give me your 360. :wave: [/quote]

uhmmmmm............NO.

hows about I give you my Dreamcast instead? ;)

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='sneaky' post='227609' date='Mar 8 2006, 02:39 AM'][quote name='Natifan' post='227522' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:10 PM']
I can solve all your problems.

......give me your 360. :wave: [/quote]

uhmmmmm............NO.

[/quote]

ill take ur dreamcast if u dont want it, i love playing old systems.

i need to get my hands on an SNES, N64 and dreamcast

Guest Matt_Six

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='227613' date='Mar 8 2006, 02:43 AM'][quote name='sneaky' post='227609' date='Mar 8 2006, 02:39 AM']
[quote name='Natifan' post='227522' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:10 PM']

......give me your 360. :wave:[/quote]

uhmmmmm............NO.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I got a NES, N64... work perfectly. Never messed up on me once...

Anyway -

I played Tekken 2 for about 6 hours once... threw up all night. I think it was because I wasn't used to the graphics???? I don't know... it was during my switch from Super Nintendo to Playstation 1.

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='Matt_Six' post='232174' date='Mar 14 2006, 09:14 PM'][quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='227613' date='Mar 8 2006, 02:43 AM']
[quote name='sneaky' post='227609' date='Mar 8 2006, 02:39 AM']
[quote name='Natifan' post='227522' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:10 PM']

......give me your 360. :wave:[/quote]

uhmmmmm............NO.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I got a NES, N64... work perfectly. Never messed up on me once...

Anyway -

I played Tekken 2 for about 6 hours once... threw up all night. I think it was because I wasn't used to the graphics???? I don't know... it was during my switch from Super Nintendo to Playstation 1.
[/quote]

switching systems takes a while to get used to because of the graphics, thats for sure.

Glad to hear that you didn't have a seizure. That could have easily happened.

As for the motion sickness, I used to get that by reading while riding on the school bus. You are focused on still words that don't move, while the rest of the world is going by really quickly. I used to get off the bus light-headed all the time, even tossed my cookies a few times. I asked my parents what was going on, and they told me the same things that were covered in this thread.

Also, sneaky, you shouldn't be that close to the TV in the first place. I was like that when I was younger, and it resulted in me becoming near-sighted and having to wear corrective lenses (I have worn glasses and contacts, I prefer glasses). I've needed them since 2nd grade.

Archived