Joel Stelly pre-draft vist

On Stelly:
OUTLOOK: Ray Guy Award candidate. An all-America candidate, he was the nation's No. 3 punter as a sophomore in 2003 and No. 6 as a junior last year. He is a two-time all-Sun Belt Conference first team selection and conference leader. He also made the all-Louisiana first team. He holds the ULM and Sun Belt season punting record with his 46.3 average of 2003. His average dipped slightly in 2004 to 45.1 but he set another school record with 22 punts downed inside the 20, including his career-long kick of 76 yards late in the game that was one of the most decisive plays in ULM's victory over the previously undefeated Owls

Strengths:
Displays excellent directional and placement skills...Has a great leg...Solid hang time...Is also able to kick-off...Was very productive and has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Has had some punts blocked...Does not have great size...Has been known to out-punt his coverage...Did not always play against top competition...Lacks upside.

Notes:
Was one of the nation's top punters for the last three years...Performed well at the Combine...A jack of all trades who does everything well but nothing great.

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='GoBengals' post='248710' date='Apr 13 2006, 12:10 PM']maybe everyone who visits isnt coming to replace a current player.[/quote]

well why waste everyone's time with the visit then? if we don't think he'll make the roster then surely we won't burn a draft pick on him...

well, reading his scouting report, he's obviously being looked at as a punter who can also do long kickoffs...if he can punt better than Larson, I'm all for drafting him.

Living here in ACC territory, I really like punter Plackemeier out of Wake Forest. Not only is he a terrific punter, he is also experienced at kicking off. Strong leg. Most projections have him either going in the seventh round or going undrafted.

[quote name='Matt_Six' post='248733' date='Apr 13 2006, 12:55 PM']Shayne Graham is gone...[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Yeah right

[quote name='Master Shake' post='248713' date='Apr 13 2006, 12:16 PM']well why waste everyone's time with the visit then? if we don't think he'll make the roster then surely we won't burn a draft pick on him...

well, reading his scouting report, he's obviously being looked at as a punter who can also do long kickoffs...if he can punt better than Larson, I'm all for drafting him.[/quote]

you have to draft 7 or more players... all of those players arent going to make the roster and everyone knows it. you draft guys thinking "hmmm maybe with a little coaching he could be better than what we have here or here" but every player that visits (which quite a few did amung the sam adams and lavar media days without notice or mention) doesnt mean someone currently is on the rocks or looking to be replaced. competition is great. and the draft is to bring in players to compete for playing roles..

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='GoBengals' post='248760' date='Apr 13 2006, 01:20 PM']you have to draft 7 or more players... all of those players arent going to make the roster and everyone knows it. you draft guys thinking "hmmm maybe with a little coaching he could be better than what we have here or here" but every player that visits (which quite a few did amung the sam adams and lavar media days without notice or mention) doesnt mean someone currently is on the rocks or looking to be replaced. competition is great. and the draft is to bring in players to compete for playing roles..[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, all of Marvin's draft picks the past 2 years have made the team...the last one that didn't, I believe, was Maurice Mann... I think at punter, if you want to create competition, you invite undrafted FAs to compete for the job, which is most likely what they're thinking about doing with this guy. But, if you draft a punter, and they don't make the roster, that's certainly a pick unnecessarily wasted.
Larson was probably less than adequate for most of last season...if they can steal some guy in the 7th who can improve our punting game (and maybe KOs at the same time), they should at least investigate that possibility.

[quote name='Master Shake' post='248775' date='Apr 13 2006, 01:36 PM']If I'm not mistaken, all of Marvin's draft picks the past 2 years have made the team...the last one that didn't, I believe, was Maurice Mann... I think at punter, if you want to create competition, you invite undrafted FAs to compete for the job, which is most likely what they're thinking about doing with this guy. But, if you draft a punter, and they don't make the roster, that's certainly a pick unnecessarily wasted.
Larson was probably less than adequate for most of last season...if they can steal some guy in the 7th who can improve our punting game (and maybe KOs at the same time), they should at least investigate that possibility.[/quote]

bramlet is gone as well, 2 of the 2004 picks are starters, and 3 of the 2005 picks are starters, so my point still stands, just because someone visists or is even drafted, doesnt mean they are coming here to take someones job (unless you consider straightening the gatorade cups on the sidelines a job)... not to mention the last three drafts have been rebuilding the team from the ground up, its pretty uncommon for a team to have such high turnover as the bengals ahve in the last 3 years... how many players are left from the previous coach? i think its pretty clear several draft picks will have a hard time starting anywhere on this team this year.. a first round corner could probably take tory james' job. or a stud early safety might win out against dex jax... with this guy larson MIGHT lose his job, but larson does alright talent wise, he lacks consistancy which takes time for kickers/punters.

we laso only have 3 starters from marvins first draft... and only 4 of those 8 players are on the team currently...

Guest Patmo
Regardless of whom we bring in,Larsen will get competition this year.No free pass in '06.If we get a punter who can kick off with only a few returns,all the better.FG's from 50 yds in,Graham is money and his salary is a bargain for a bona fide contender.A long distance FG kicker who punts would be a bonus.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='248796' date='Apr 13 2006, 02:09 PM']bramlet is gone as well, 2 of the 2004 picks are starters, and 3 of the 2005 picks are starters, so my point still stands, just because someone visists or is even drafted, doesnt mean they are coming here to take someones job (unless you consider straightening the gatorade cups on the sidelines a job)... not to mention the last three drafts have been rebuilding the team from the ground up, its pretty uncommon for a team to have such high turnover as the bengals ahve in the last 3 years... how many players are left from the previous coach? i think its pretty clear several draft picks will have a hard time starting anywhere on this team this year.. a first round corner could probably take tory james' job. or a stud early safety might win out against dex jax... with this guy larson MIGHT lose his job, but larson does alright talent wise, he lacks consistancy which takes time for kickers/punters.

we laso only have 3 starters from marvins first draft... and only 4 of those 8 players are on the team currently...[/quote]

But we are only going to keep one punter so if we drafted this guy he would either take Larson's job or he would be cut.

[quote name='ThorntonMelon' post='248896' date='Apr 13 2006, 04:30 PM']But we are only going to keep one punter so if we drafted this guy he would either take Larson's job or he would be cut.[/quote]

exactly... he has about a 1 in 5 chance of starting and in his case making the team, ...which is kinda my point...

Archived