Marvin's Press Conference

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='405260' date='Dec 11 2006, 04:22 PM']What in the world could he say that could be used against us?

Q: What can the defense do to improve the way it performs on the field?

Informative Answer: The defensive line needs to hold their blockers together, and stop letting them get to the second level and blocking our linebackers.

Marvins normal nonsense: Just do our jobs. Just do our jobs, and everything will come together.[/quote]

Then he's calling out our defensive line in public.

That's a really really bad thing.

I'm sure he's on there ass during practice and games, but in the public is bad.

He and Tressel are some of the best diplomats in the game.

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='405268' date='Dec 11 2006, 04:26 PM']Then he's calling out our defensive line in public.

He and Tressel are some of the best diplomats in the game.[/quote]

Why's it such a bad thing? In practices and meetings he could be singling out John Thornton. In the press conference, he calls out an entire position group. I dunno, I just don't like Marvins press conferences, and our local media coverage is pretty shitty. And I don't blame the writers for that, they just can't get any information

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='405260' date='Dec 11 2006, 04:22 PM']What in the world could he say that could be used against us?

[b]Informative Answer: The defensive line needs to hold their blockers together, and stop letting them get to the second level and blocking our linebackers.[/b]

Marvins normal nonsense: Just do our jobs. Just do our jobs, and everything will come together.[/quote]
post below sums up why that is bad perfectly.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='405268' date='Dec 11 2006, 04:26 PM']Then he's calling out our defensive line in public.

exactly what i was going to put.

Informative Answer: The defensive line needs to hold their blockers together, and stop letting them get to the second level and blocking our linebackers.

I have zero desire for Marvin to throw his players under the bus like that, it would create discontent and its the quickest way to start losing.

[b][size=3]WORD!![/size][/b]

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='405281' date='Dec 11 2006, 04:37 PM']Oh, did he release the Toys for Tots numbers from the games? He was supposed to. Anyone remember them?[/quote]

I missed the first 2 minutes, so unless he did it with in the first 2 minutes, then no. Not really sure thats his job so much as it is the bengals PR department.

Guest Gonzoid
[quote name='BengalBacker' post='405182' date='Dec 11 2006, 03:29 PM']No, because Chick has thrown Marvin under the bus a couple of times and Marvin hasn't forgotten it.[/quote]
Two words: Boo hoo.

Marvin Lewis is a coach in a professional sports league. If questions bother him, he's in the wrong job.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='405305' date='Dec 11 2006, 04:59 PM']The T4Ts NCO at my unit, who was running the event said he would.

I agree though, seems like a Jack Brennan press release kinda thing.[/quote]

Either way, I didnt catch if he did or not. But Bengals.com put up the results.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5760"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5760[/url]

[quote]The U.S. Marine Corps Reserves and the Cincinnati Bengals are pleased to announce the results for our 2006 Toys for Tots collection held at the Bengals-Raiders game on December 10. Bengals fans generously contributed 4,278 new toys. In addition, Bengals fans gave $50,357 in cash donations, which was $20,726 more than 2005.

“With more than 25,000 children in the 12 county Tri-State area being supported during the holiday season by Toys for Tots, the Bengals toy collection is by far our largest. We are very grateful for all the contributions,” said U.S. Marine Sergeant Jason M. Ernst.

Special thanks go to Mobile Storage Depot for providing the collection containers.

The U.S. Marine Corps Reserves Toys for Tots and the Cincinnati Bengals sincerely thank all of our fans for their generosity in supporting this important effort.[/quote]

[quote name='Gonzoid' post='405306' date='Dec 11 2006, 05:00 PM']Two words: Boo hoo.

Marvin Lewis is a coach in a professional sports league. If questions bother him, he's in the wrong job.[/quote]

And he handels the media just like any other head coach. Ive seen worse, think Parcels, think Edwards, think Jim Mora sr. ect ect

People need to stop bitching about how "mavin treats the media" he's better than some of his counterparts.

Found it.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5760"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5760[/url]

Well done Cincy family.

...4,278 new toys. In addition, Bengals fans gave $50,357 in cash donations, which was $20,726 more than 2005...

In terms of a visual, the stadium filled an entire seabag with cash, I saw it.

That's about 8,000 toys worth of cash with that one event.

BTW, if you haven't turned your toy in yet, but bought one, you have like one day to turn it in. If you need a location just post me here.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote]The U.S. Marine Corps Reserves and the Cincinnati Bengals are pleased to announce the results for our 2006 Toys for Tots collection held at the Bengals-Raiders game on December 10. [b]Bengals fans generously contributed 4,278 new toys. In addition, Bengals fans gave $50,357 in cash donations, which was $20,726 more than 2005. [/b]
“With more than 25,000 children in the 12 county Tri-State area being supported during the holiday season by Toys for Tots, the Bengals toy collection is by far our largest. We are very grateful for all the contributions,” said U.S. Marine Sergeant Jason M. Ernst.

Special thanks go to Mobile Storage Depot for providing the collection containers.

The U.S. Marine Corps Reserves Toys for Tots and the Cincinnati Bengals sincerely thank all of our fans for their generosity in supporting this important effort.[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='405281' date='Dec 11 2006, 04:37 PM']Oh, did he release the Toys for Tots numbers from the games? He was supposed to. Anyone remember them?[/quote]

Aside from the news release Marvin made a point to mention the Toys for Tots right after the injuries during his presser. Basically pre-stated the press release.

Good job Bengal fans....... and no thanks to Go and I. Phatty's wife was none to happy :contract:

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='405315' date='Dec 11 2006, 05:06 PM']I was gonna say that Own is probably Chick in disguise, but then I realized there is no way Own has the intelligence to be a professional sports journalist.[/quote]

That's rahter uncalled for. Own's a cranky SOB sometimes, but he's got brains, and the balls to voice his opinion. Perhaps you could spend less time thinking of insults, and more time being a part of the discussion. You're a bright guy. I'm sure you have more to add.

As for Marvin: I'm not asking for him to open a playbook and explain what he's going to exploit. I expect him to at least give some normal non-answers... and the whole not throwing players under the bus thing is kinda moot. Chick asked Marvin if he thought the starting safeties this year might help protect against the deep routes against Indy that Ohalete and KK had trouble with last year. Marvin's response was that Chick was asking dumb, uninformed questions, and that it's sometimes the corners who are supposed to cover deep. Sounds a bit to me like he was calling out some corner play.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]'Telling week' for Braham, Jones [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
December 11, 2006

Head coach Marvin Lewis said Monday this is a telling week for his two injured offensive linemen and could dictate if the club is going to have center Rich Braham or left tackle Levi Jones for the rest of the season.

Wide receiver Kelley Washington (hamstring) is out for next Monday night’s game in Indianapolis after tweaking it again last week. Jones and Braham start the week doubtful, meaning it looks more and more like rookie left tackle Andrew Whitworth is going to be called on to go against Colts Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney.

Jones, who underwent arthroscopic knee surgery after he tore cartilage in the Oct. 15 loss in Tampa Bay, thought he would be back by now but has experienced soreness, Lewis said.

Several days ago Lewis indicated that Braham, out of the past 11 games with a bone bruise in the knee, asked if he could start the Thursday night game against the Ravens but reported soreness that morning.

“We’ll have a good understanding of where he’s at, and that will be good for him,” Lewis said of Jones. “He felt once he had surgery and he gave it time to allow it to heal and rehab and get his strength back that he would then be able to come back and play. It’s not doing it. He’s experienced soreness which makes him uncomfortable. I’m hopeful this week (we’ll know).”

He also said Braham has been equally frustrated because he can’t stay on the field consistently. But Lewis doesn’t regret his decision to keep their roster spots even though it has put stress on others in practice.

“It’s been good for us. They’re a chunk of our backbone,” Lewis said. “They’ve been right there for their teammates, right there with them.”

Lewis recalled how Jones put off a visit to the doctor to check out his clearance until after he stayed for a game.

“It’s important to them,” he said.

Jones was important in last year’s 45-37 loss to the Colts. Freeney came into the game as one of the NFL’s leading sackers and Jones held him to no tackles and no sacks. This season Freeney has been struggling with a groin problem and has fewer sacks (2.5) than Bengals safety Kevin Kaesviharn (3.5).

Whitworth, looking at making his ninth straight start at left tackle, has blanked some of the NFL’s finest rushers, such as Carolina’s Mike Rucker and Baltimore’s Terrell Suggs. It’s believed the only sack he’s allowed came four games ago against the Saints’ Will Smith.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5761"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5761[/url]

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='mongoloido' post='405376' date='Dec 11 2006, 06:35 PM']That's rahter uncalled for. Own's a cranky SOB sometimes, but he's got brains, and the balls to voice his opinion. Perhaps you could spend less time thinking of insults, and more time being a part of the discussion. You're a bright guy. I'm sure you have more to add.[/quote]

:headbang:

Appreciate it Mongo

[quote name='mongoloido' post='405376' date='Dec 11 2006, 06:35 PM']That's rahter uncalled for. Own's a cranky SOB sometimes, but he's got brains, and the balls to voice his opinion. Perhaps you could spend less time thinking of insults, and more time being a part of the discussion. You're a bright guy. I'm sure you have more to add.

As for Marvin: I'm not asking for him to open a playbook and explain what he's going to exploit. I expect him to at least give some normal non-answers... and the whole not throwing players under the bus thing is kinda moot. Chick asked Marvin if he thought the starting safeties this year might help protect against the deep routes against Indy that Ohalete and KK had trouble with last year. Marvin's response was that Chick was asking dumb, uninformed questions, and that it's sometimes the corners who are supposed to cover deep. Sounds a bit to me like he was calling out some corner play.[/quote]

I dont agree, that that is what it was with S vs CB. I took that to mean that Marvin was throwing it elsewhere when chick wanted to blame the S's, meaning that he goes to the point that people want to place blame on one set of players or issues and say that was the problem. Its natural, we did it last year with the S and we do it this year with the LBs. I think Marvin was saying its not just that, to his whole point of it takes 11 guys to play defence. And that saying its the safites or the linebackers is shortsided and uninformed, because it may have been the safties in one package or it may have been the CBs in another. And breaking that down for Chick or us isnt going to happen nor should it, because then you do get into what coverages are run in what situation, and while teams do watch game tape to get somewhat of an idea of what we run, I certanly dont want to just tell them in a press conference so that the fans feel better.

[quote name='Tigris' post='405424' date='Dec 11 2006, 07:46 PM']so... im taking it nothing important was said[/quote]

not really no.

for the ones who want to see it (as well as read it)

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5763"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5763[/url]

Guest Gonzoid

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='405311' date='Dec 11 2006, 05:03 PM']And he handels the media just like any other head coach. Ive seen worse, think Parcels, think Edwards, think Jim Mora sr. ect ect[/quote]
Bobby Knight? :lol:

I don't care how Marvin handles the media. It's great he doesn't want to tip his card and all, but it seems like he only wants folks to report the happy news.

[quote name='Gonzoid' post='405438' date='Dec 11 2006, 08:03 PM']I don't care how Marvin handles the media. It's great he doesn't want to tip his card and all, but it seems like he only wants folks to report the happy news.[/quote]

Well no shit he does.

Marvin: "Hey Chick, make sure you throw in the story about how Deltha got his DWI when he could have just called me. And don't forget to call out my linebackers for their poor play. Also, I want it prominently displayed that Rudi Johnson is nicked and likely won't be able to play, that way the opponent will have a full week to gameplan a pressure package. Oh, and if you could round up on the value Mike is charging the county that'd be great. BTW, Chad Johnson will slowly and secretly wave to Palmer when he sees a favorable matchup, be sure to mention it when you beat writers do your conference call with Dungy."

Obviously, Marvin would be an idiot to want any of those things.

BTW, Johnson does have the secret hand signal. I'm not sure why he doesn't, but it is supposed to be subtle and secret, it's certainly not any overt handshaking or anything.

He'll do it whenever Palmer looks his way. He'll raise his left hand from the limp hanging position up about 3-5 inches, until he thinks Palmer sees, and lowers it when he looks away. Anyone else notice that?

Archived