xbox 360

so my 360 broke last night, I'm getting 3 red lights. I went over all the steps on the support stage of xbox.com, and none of them solved my problem. So when i woke up i called the support line to get the ball rolling on shipping them my system, and they told me my waranty ran out 3 months ago. I bought the fucking thing in june, and its out of waranty. Anyone know any local shops that do repairs?

Guest mongoloido
No idea. Stinks about your system. I think my Wii came with a 90 day warrenty but doubled to a 180 day if you registered your system on their site...

Perhaps some hunting online can help you do it yourself? Dunno how much trouble that would be, or how much you like doing tech repairs...

[quote]If the console has power but won't work and you have one or three lights lit up on the ring of
light it means there's a hardware failure. Turn it off, unplug everything, remove the hard drive
as well as any other attachments, let it sit for a few minutes then try again without the hard
drive. If it works you know the hard drive is the problem. This is apparently not that
uncommon...

...The hard drive on a 360 is detachable. One comes with the $399 version but not with the
$299 'core system'. FYI, to buy it separately it's $99 anyway...[/quote]

[url="http://www.xboxrepairservice.com/360.html"]http://www.xboxrepairservice.com/360.html[/url]

Perhaps you could give that a shot. If your system starts up without the hard drive, then you at least know you need to dropp $99 on a new hard drive... I'm assuming you can purchase those pretty easy.

Guest BengalsOwn
Are you comfortable taking the system apart yourself? Own a heat gun?

[url="http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=539063"]http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=539063[/url]

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='407952' date='Dec 16 2006, 07:53 AM']Are you comfortable taking the system apart yourself? Own a heat gun?

[url="http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=539063"]http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=539063[/url][/quote]

thats the kind of shit i was looking for. thanks.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='76levi' post='408175' date='Dec 16 2006, 08:12 PM']now im scared to even turn on my xbox 360 :unsure:[/quote]
heh, im gonna contact whodey24k if mine fucks up. im not good with that kinda shit and ill pay him to do it. he did it quick as hell.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='408206' date='Dec 16 2006, 10:01 PM']heh, im gonna contact whodey24k if mine fucks up. im not good with that kinda shit and ill pay him to do it. he did it quick as hell.[/quote]

I'm not good at that stuff either. but my uncle is a computer progammer and used to modify all my old systems to play bootlegs, so i knew he could do it.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='whodey24k' post='408217' date='Dec 16 2006, 11:01 PM']I'm not good at that stuff either. but my uncle is a computer progammer and used to modify all my old systems to play bootlegs, so i knew he could do it.[/quote]
well if i ever need this to happen, ill be PM'ing u.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='408174' date='Dec 16 2006, 07:44 PM']Simply AMAZING the amount of issues that POS system has. Microsoft should be ashamed for basically stealing your money.[/quote]

right, like nintendos worked like a gem? how about the ps2? in fact, if you could name a single gaming system that had LESS issues i would appriciate it....

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='GoBengals' post='408255' date='Dec 17 2006, 06:29 AM']right, like nintendos worked like a gem? how about the ps2? in fact, if you could name a single gaming system that had LESS issues i would appriciate it....[/quote]

The actual Wii system is rock solid (and it's not the wiimote and nunchuck that are flawed, it's the goofballs who throw them that ar flawed). Playstation One. Gamecube. Dreamcast. Sega Genesis. Super Nintendo. NES. Turbografix. Colecovision....:D

Hardware and firmware flubs on this scale really are a new problem, and seem to be primarily the province of the gaming system that wants to do too much. Once you need a robust operating system for all the functions of the machine, and the hardware to do all the little extras, you start opening large areas for something to go wrong.

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='mongoloido' post='408267' date='Dec 17 2006, 08:20 AM']The actual Wii system is rock solid (and it's not the wiimote and nunchuck that are flawed, it's the goofballs who throw them that ar flawed). Playstation One. Gamecube. Dreamcast. Sega Genesis. Super Nintendo. NES. Turbografix. Colecovision....:D

Hardware and firmware flubs on this scale really are a new problem, and seem to be primarily the province of the gaming system that wants to do too much. Once you need a robust operating system for all the functions of the machine, and the hardware to do all the little extras, you start opening large areas for something to go wrong.[/quote]

The WII is such a simple system compared to the Xbox 360 and the PS3...

[quote name='mongoloido' post='408267' date='Dec 17 2006, 08:20 AM']The actual Wii system is rock solid (and it's not the wiimote and nunchuck that are flawed, it's the goofballs who throw them that ar flawed). Playstation One. Gamecube. Dreamcast. Sega Genesis. Super Nintendo. NES. Turbografix. Colecovision....:D

Hardware and firmware flubs on this scale really are a new problem, and seem to be primarily the province of the gaming system that wants to do too much. Once you need a robust operating system for all the functions of the machine, and the hardware to do all the little extras, you start opening large areas for something to go wrong.[/quote]
You forgot Atari 2600 and Pong!
:D

Guest BengalsOwn
Did you have your system standing vertically by chance? I have had mine for several months now without a single problem, and it was sitting flat. I recently finished a media closet, and now have it standing vertically on a shelf. I am starting to worry that maybe standing it vertically will put pressure on the chips and make the weakening of the soder a more apparent problem for me...

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='408320' date='Dec 17 2006, 11:13 AM']The WII is such a simple system compared to the Xbox 360 and the PS3...[/quote]

Which was precisely my point. :)

Not sure if that wasn't clear, or if you were just reinforcing my post.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='408321' date='Dec 17 2006, 11:14 AM']You forgot Atari 2600 and Pong!
:D[/quote]

It was supposed to be implied in the "..." Along with Intellivision, and all the other systems.

[quote name='mongoloido' post='408378' date='Dec 17 2006, 12:51 PM']Which was precisely my point. :)

Not sure if that wasn't clear, or if you were just reinforcing my post.
It was supposed to be implied in the "..." Along with Intellivision, and all the other systems.[/quote]
Ahhhh, good old Intellivision! I remember playing hours of that D&D game that system had......

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

PS1 had tons of problems.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='408445' date='Dec 17 2006, 01:38 PM']PS1 had tons of problems.[/quote]
Not really, not compared to the ones XBox is having now.
I owned two PS1's, put them through the wringer with thousands of hours of gameplay, forgetting to turn it off all night, spills, cigarette smoke, dropping it, you name it.
I still have my second one that I got secondhand in 1998 and it works just fine. The controllers are all worn out, but still.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='408850' date='Dec 17 2006, 10:03 PM']Not really, not compared to the ones XBox is having now.
I owned two PS1's, put them through the wringer with thousands of hours of gameplay, forgetting to turn it off all night, spills, cigarette smoke, dropping it, you name it.
I still have my second one that I got secondhand in 1998 and it works just fine. The controllers are all worn out, but still.[/quote]

and several thousands of people will have an xbox 360 and ahve never had a problem with it come 2016, ...whats your point old man?
*shakes fist*

[quote name='GoBengals' post='408880' date='Dec 17 2006, 10:27 PM']and several thousands of people will have an xbox 360 and ahve never had a problem with it come 2016, ...whats your point old man?
*shakes fist*[/quote]
That I'm old, crotchety and quite afraid of new technology..... ^_^

Archived