Jay Williams Gets Cut from D-League

[quote]Toros Sign Troy Bell, Waive Jay Williams

Dec. 30 -- The Austin Toros of the NBA Development League have acquired guard Troy Bell, the 16th overall selection in the 2003 NBA Draft. He fills the roster spot vacated by the second pick in the 2002 NBA Draft, guard Jay Williams, who was waived to rehabilitate a nagging injury.

Bell, 6-1, 180, out of Boston College, was the Thunderbirds' first selection in the 2006 D-League Draft (12th overall). In 11 games (one start) he averaged 10.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.5 assists before being waived by the Thunderbirds on Dec. 27. He was selected by the Boston Celtics, who traded his rights to the Memphis Grizzlies. Bell played six games during the 2003-04 season with Memphis, averaging 1.8 points in 5.7 minutes. He had brief stints the next two seasons in both Spain (Real Madrid) and Germany (Frankfurt Skyliners).

Bell was named the Big East Player of the Year as a senior and Co-Player of the Year as a sophomore. He earned First Team All-Big East honors his sophomore, junior, and senior seasons, finishing his collegiate career as Boston College’s all-time leading scorer with 2,632 points, ranking 21st in NCAA history, as well as third on the Boston College career scoring list (21.7 ppg).

After being acquired by the Toros on Dec. 8, Williams is forced to put his return to basketball on hold after three games (one start) with the Toros, averaging 28.0 minutes, 6.0 points, 2.7 rebounds and 5.3 assists. Following his rookie year with the Chicago Bulls, Williams was severely injured in a motorcycle accident, putting his career on the shelf for three seasons. He averaged 26.0 minutes 9.5 points and 4.7 assists in 75 games as a rookie with the Bulls in 2002-03.

There is no injured list in the D-League, but the Toros will have first right of refusal on Williams when he is ready to play again. Bell is expected to join the Toros in time for Thursday’s game at Bakersfield.[/quote]

[url="http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/Bell_Williams_061230.html"]http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/Bell_Williams_061230.html[/url]

He can not stay healthy. It is too bad, but there is no way he can make a NBA roster if his injuries linger and he can't make it in the D-League.

What in the hell are you doing paying attention to the NBA when there's Bengals playoff football afoot?
:contract: :contract:
Plus: Bowl games, college hoops, etc....
What's wrong with you man?
You're not supposed to even care at ALL about the NBA until the playoffs start, and even then, not so much.
:lol:

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='417940' date='Dec 30 2006, 07:27 PM']Some how I find the time for the Bengals, Bowl games and the NBA. ^_^[/quote]
Oh, I get it, you're channeling all your negative energy away from the Bengals and into the NBA.
Good job!

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
too bad this didnt happen b4 duke. i couldnt stand that fucker he cost them so many games becuase of his inability to make FTs. He would have never been shit in the NBA anyways. I guess he will always have that "could have been" label instead of the bust label since he got hurt. He got some decent money anyways and he can walk just fine and run decent now. Overally he is pretty lucky.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='421373' date='Jan 2 2007, 11:14 PM']He might get another chance once he heals up. They don't have an injured list in the D-League, so if you get hurt and need to rehab you are pretty much screwed.[/quote]
He is getting too old and lost his speed and his jumping ability. He has always made many turnovers and shot a low %. He is done for. He should be thankful the Bulls hooked him up with some cash and that he recovered to live a normal life and move on.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='421725' date='Jan 3 2007, 05:26 PM']An overhyped Duke player crashes and burns in the big leagues? Go figure!

Next up: JJ Redick.[/quote]
im a Duke fan, but i hope so. I really disliked Jwill and Redick.

Archived