And Michigan

Guest Bengals1181
if anything, at least you can say that Carr is consistent(-ly bad) in big games.

3 straight years Michigan has lost their last 2 games of the season.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]MICHAEL ROSENBERG: Play-calling was truly embarrassing[/b][/size]

January 2, 2007

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

PASADENA, Calif. -- We like to say football has replaced baseball as the national pastime, but that is only partially true. The new national pastimes are gambling and complaining about play-calling. Football is the sport that lets us do those things.

I don't know much about gambling, but I know what makes a good complainer: If your team runs and gets stopped, you say it should have passed. If it throws an incomplete pass, you say it should have run.

This is why I normally stay away from that kind of thing. I figure that even the worst coaches know way more football than I do, and while it is fair to say a team failed, it is usually a cop-out to blame the guy calling plays.

Today, I am making an exception.

Michigan's play-calling in the Rose Bowl was embarrassing. Lloyd Carr and his offensive coordinator, Mike DeBord, showed no creativity, failed to adjust to Southern California's blitzes and basically tried to defeat an opposing army with a pea shooter. Michigan, so well-coached all year, was horribly outcoached in this one.

It's hard to say exactly when U-M lost this game, but I'm going with halftime.

The game was tied, 3-3. It was obvious that neither USC nor Michigan could run the ball. The difference was that USC admitted it. For one stretch, the Trojans passed on 27 consecutive plays (not counting two quarterback sneaks for first downs).

And what did Michigan do at halftime?

"The main thing that we discussed was that at some point there, getting into our two-minute offense," Carr said. "We didn't want to do that because we wanted to try to protect our quarterback and our defense."

Here's an idea: Why not protect your defense by, you know, scoring? Controlling the clock is nice. In this era, putting points on the board is more important.

Through three quarters, Michigan's running backs had 46 yards on 17 carries. For the math-challenged, that is 2.7 yards per carry.

"I'd run the ball again," DeBord said. "When you're getting sacked, tell me how you're going to keep throwing the ball and you're going to make improvements. I don't understand that. So no. I'd run the ball ... I wouldn't do anything different."

I don't have to tell DeBord how to keep throwing the ball against a vicious pass rush.

Carr can do it for me.

"They did a good job," he said of USC. "Kept the tight end in. They moved the pocket very well, with some rollouts and with some boot(legs) ... they moved the launch points, moved the pocket, and then they threw some very quick play-action (passes), got rid of the ball."

Why couldn't Michigan do any of that? For that matter, why didn't U-M put Chad Henne in the shotgun? Carr said in Michigan's offense, "the shotgun is part of the two-minute offense, late in the half, late in the game."

Guess what? That's part of the problem.

Why didn't Michigan have Henne take shorter drops, so he could get rid of the ball before the rush came?

"We did," DeBord said. "The ball got batted down once."

Oh. Well, scrap the whole idea, then.

"In the second half, the fourth quarter, we went to quicker throws and stuff like that," DeBord said.

The Wolverines did. And you know what? It worked. And that only showed that they should have done it earlier.

Instead, DeBord mostly called for Mike Hart to pound into a stacked defensive front and for Henne to take deep drops. Predictably, Hart was stuffed and USC sacked Henne five times in the first half.

What happened after halftime? Carr gave the quick play-by-play: "We make a great stop at the start of the third quarter to get the ball back and then turn the ball over at the short end of the field."

That sounds like bad execution. But it was coaching, too, and here is why:

On their third play of the third quarter, the Wolverines sent freshman Greg Mathews in at receiver. Star Mario Manningham was on the sideline. Now, anybody who has watched the Wolverines knew they were not going to pass to their receivers on that play. I think the Wolverines have a spot on their depth chart for Freshman Receiver We Send Out There Once In a While To Let The Opponent Know We're Not Passing, and this season the guy was Mathews.

Of course, U-M handed the ball to Hart, and he was stopped.

And then -- this was really amazing -- the Wolverines left Mathews in on the next play. Remember: This was the first drive after halftime. So it's not like Manningham was exhausted.

I guess that USC was not all that worried about a deep pass to Greg Mathews. DeBord called for a screen pass to Hart. There were, by my count, 34 USC defenders crowded around the line of scrimmage. They held an elaborate rock-paper-scissors tournament to see who would get to make the interception, and then Lawrence Jackson did the honors.

You want to know the funniest part of all of this?

Michigan is supposedly a candidate to be the No. 1 team in the country next preseason. The Wolverines will lose defensive stars LaMarr Woodley, David Harris and Leon Hall, and will probably lose junior Alan Branch to the NFL, but they have a ton of offensive talent coming back.

I guess people think Michigan has the personnel to outscore almost anybody.

Somebody please tell the coaches.

Contact MICHAEL ROSENBERG at 313-222-6052 or rosenberg@freepress.com.[/quote]

[url="http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070102/COL22/701020398/1054/SPORTS"]http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...398/1054/SPORTS[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='420797' date='Jan 2 2007, 12:53 PM']Why didn't Michigan have Henne take shorter drops, so he could get rid of the ball before the rush came?

"We did," DeBord said. "The ball got batted down once."

Oh. Well, scrap the whole idea, then.[/quote]

Aargh!!! That was the most annoying football game I've ever watched in my LIFE!!! The play calling was eving more predictable that Bratkowski's 1st down long incomplete pass, 2nd down Rudi run, 3rd down shovel pass routine ...

I HATE LLOYD CARR!!!!!

As Ben Franklin said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ...

I don't even want to talk about it anymore ....I'm gonna go crawl in my cave and hibernate 'til the draft ...

[quote name='Montecore' post='422462' date='Jan 5 2007, 03:50 PM']Aargh!!! That was the most annoying football game I've ever watched in my LIFE!!! The play calling was eving more predictable that Bratkowski's 1st down long incomplete pass, 2nd down Rudi run, 3rd down shovel pass routine ...

I HATE LLOYD CARR!!!!!

As Ben Franklin said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ...

I don't even want to talk about it anymore ....I'm gonna go crawl in my cave and hibernate 'til the draft ...[/quote]
You could turn from the Dark Side, and become a Jedi instead of a dirty sith.... I'm just sayin'...

:whistle:

;)

:ninja:

[quote name='Montecore' post='422462' date='Jan 5 2007, 10:50 AM']Aargh!!! That was the most annoying football game I've ever watched in my LIFE!!! The play calling was eving more predictable that Bratkowski's 1st down long incomplete pass, 2nd down Rudi run, 3rd down shovel pass routine ...

I HATE LLOYD CARR!!!!!

[color="#FF0000"]As Ben Franklin said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ...[/color]

I don't even want to talk about it anymore ....I'm gonna go crawl in my cave and hibernate 'til the draft ...[/quote]

That was Einstein...

[url="http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26032.html"]http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26032.html[/url]

Like the Rose Bowls of old--overhyped Big Ten team goes to Pasadena to be crowned, gets crushed by Pac 10 team (sorry, it's true)

As usual, I'm wrong--I went back and checked out the historic results of the Rose Bowl (God bless Wikipedia). Looks pretty evenly matched.:

Date Played Winning Team Losing Team
January 1, 1947 Illinois 45 UCLA 14
January 1, 1948 Michigan 49 Southern California 0
January 1, 1949 Northwestern 20 California 14
January 2, 1950 Ohio State 17 California 14
January 1, 1951 Michigan 14 California 6
January 1, 1952 Illinois 40 Stanford 7
January 1, 1953 Southern California 7 Wisconsin 0
January 1, 1954 Michigan State 28 UCLA 20
January 1, 1955 Ohio State 20 Southern California 7
January 2, 1956 Michigan State 17 UCLA 14
January 1, 1957 Iowa 35 Oregon State 19
January 1, 1958 Ohio State 10 Oregon 7
January 1, 1959 Iowa 38 California 12
January 1, 1960 Washington 44 Wisconsin 8
January 2, 1961 Washington 17 Minnesota 7
January 2, 1962 Minnesota 21 UCLA 3
January 1, 1963 Southern California 42 Wisconsin 37
January 1, 1964 Illinois 17 Washington 7
January 1, 1965 Michigan 34 Oregon State 7
January 1, 1966 UCLA 14 Michigan State 12
January 2, 1967 Purdue 14 Southern California 13
January 1, 1968 Southern California 14 Indiana 3
January 1, 1969 Ohio State 27 Southern California 16
January 1, 1970 Southern California 10 Michigan 3
January 1, 1971 Stanford 27 Ohio State 17
January 1, 1972 Stanford 13 Michigan 12
January 1, 1973 Southern California 42 Ohio State 17
January 1, 1974 Ohio State 42 Southern California 21
January 1, 1975 Southern California 18 Ohio State 17
January 1, 1976 UCLA 23 Ohio State 10
January 1, 1977 Southern California 14 Michigan 6
January 2, 1978 Washington 27 Michigan 20
January 1, 1979 Southern California 17 Michigan 10
January 1, 1980 Southern California 17 Ohio State 16
January 1, 1981 Michigan 23 Washington 6
January 1, 1982 Washington 28 Iowa 0
January 1, 1983 UCLA 24 Michigan 14
January 2, 1984 UCLA 45 Illinois 9
January 1, 1985 Southern California 20 Ohio State 17
January 1, 1986 UCLA 45 Iowa 28
January 1, 1987 Arizona State 22 Michigan 15
January 1, 1988 Michigan State 20 Southern California 17
January 2, 1989 Michigan 22 Southern California 14
January 1, 1990 Southern California 17 Michigan 10
January 1, 1991 Washington 46 Iowa 34
January 1, 1992 Washington 34 Michigan 14
January 1, 1993 Michigan 38 Washington 31
January 1, 1994 Wisconsin 21 UCLA 16
January 2, 1995 Penn State 38 Oregon 20
January 1, 1996 Southern California 41 Northwestern 32
January 1, 1997 Ohio State 20 Arizona State 17
January 1, 1998 Michigan 21 Washington State 16
January 1, 1999 Wisconsin 38 UCLA 31
January 1, 2000 Wisconsin 17 Stanford 9
January 1, 2001 Washington 34 Purdue 24

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='422529' date='Jan 5 2007, 01:51 PM']That was Einstein...

[url="http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26032.html"]http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26032.html[/url][/quote]

Al was quoting Ben.

:D

Michigan's conservative coaching ala Marty Shartenheimmer is what is keeping them from winning national championships on a regular basis. They are always stacked with talent, hell Tom Brady could barely get off the bench in Ann Arbor, but they rarely win big games because the coaches clam up in the big games. Michigans needs a young fresh coach who isn't scared to take a few risk and upset opposing coaches by blowing the competition out of the water.

[quote name='Jason' post='422614' date='Jan 5 2007, 04:04 PM']They have tons of talent. Michigan's problem is they lack heart.[/quote]

they have hart, he's #20...

seriously though, I think it's the "let's not fuck this up" attitude of the coaching staff that keeps them from reaching the promise land. Tressel is known to be a conservative coach, but he will also take a shot a big play and let it all hang out as well.

With a more agressive coach ala Steve Spurier the Wolverines could be annual powerhouse instead of OSU's bitches.

Archived