Van Halen to tour with David Lee Roth

MULLY

[quote name='Bunghole' post='435962' date='Feb 2 2007, 12:10 AM']I find it curious how you describe Alex as the "unspoken" leader of the band, and a true rock-n-roll asshole. He's not a great drummer, he should realize despite Eddie's idiosyncracies that his brother is the driving force behind the band, not a bunch of sunglasses-wearing pseudo-neanderthal drum riffs.
Michael Anthony was/is far more indispensible to this band than Alex.
Talk about a Ringo Starr syndrome....[/quote]
Not a great drummer??? You must be thinking of someone else...
Michael Anthony indispensible? You must have been high when you wrote that... other than the screeching falsetto he's got, he's a good bass player, but nothing spectacular. He's a reliable rhythm guy, that's it. His live solos are so heavily dependent on effects that you can't really hear what he's doing. I can play bass only to the extent that it's similar to guitar, and there's not a single bassline in any VH song that I can't play.

This "reunion" - if you can call it that with out Mikey - is going to be a complete trainwreck. It's sad too since VH could have still been relevant if the corporation (which is exactly what Van Halen is now) hadn't been so dysfunctional. I'd rather see Winger at the House of Blues than this potential disaster.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='436056' date='Feb 2 2007, 02:08 PM']This "reunion" - if you can call it that with out Mikey - is going to be a complete trainwreck. It's sad too since VH could have still been relevant if the corporation (which is exactly what Van Halen is now) hadn't been so dysfunctional. I'd rather see [size=4][b]Winger [/b][/size]at the House of Blues than this potential disaster.[/quote]
Stewart, is that you?

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/BB-Stewart.jpg[/img]
sorry, i can't find a pic with the entire winger shirt showing...

:ninja:

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='436021' date='Feb 2 2007, 06:33 AM']Not a great drummer??? You must be thinking of someone else...
Michael Anthony indispensible? You must have been high when you wrote that... other than the screeching falsetto he's got, he's a good bass player, but nothing spectacular. He's a reliable rhythm guy, that's it. His live solos are so heavily dependent on effects that you can't really hear what he's doing. I can play bass only to the extent that it's similar to guitar, and there's not a single bassline in any VH song that I can't play.[/quote]
Alex is NOT a great drummer. Michael is NOT a great bass player. Michael's harmonies are far from screeching, they round out many, many chorus and verse parts for many, many VH songs, therefore making him less dispensible than Alex.
Dude, seriously...Alex just isn't that great a drummer.

Here it is, the official announcement.
MULLY

Just posted to www.van-halen.com:

VAN HALEN IS BACK!

VAN HALEN Officially Announce Summer Tour With David Lee Roth

Los Angeles, CA - In what is no doubt one of the most anticipated moments
in rock and roll, VAN HALEN officially announces their 2007 North American
tour.

The tour will mark the first time since 1984 that original VAN HALEN front
man David Lee Roth will perform with Eddie and Alex Van Halen along with
new bassist Wolfgang Van Halen for 40 shows this summer.

VAN HALEN fans can look forward to legendary high intensity performances,
featuring a set list of the most iconic hits ever produced by America's
premiere rock band.

Eddie Van Halen states, "I am very excited to get back to the core of what
made VAN HALEN."

--
Brad
The Official Van Halen Web Site
[url="http://www.van-halen.com"]http://www.van-halen.com[/url]

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='435980' date='Feb 2 2007, 02:53 PM']So I take it you haven't heard from Val via email in quite awhile?[/quote]

That assumption would be correct. Haven't heard from her since the divorce.
MULLY

[quote name='Bunghole' post='436287' date='Feb 2 2007, 07:33 PM']Alex is NOT a great drummer. Michael is NOT a great bass player. Michael's harmonies are far from screeching, they round out many, many chorus and verse parts for many, many VH songs, therefore making him less dispensible than Alex.
Dude, seriously...Alex just isn't that great a drummer.[/quote]
I always thought Alex was a product of the roto-tom. He had a cool sound, and certainly was a decent drummer, but really was far from fantastic. If you want to see a fucking great drummer on a reunion tour, check out the Stewart Copeland and the Police coming to a stadium near you.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='436295' date='Feb 2 2007, 08:51 PM']That assumption would be correct. Haven't heard from her since the divorce.
MULLY[/quote]

You knew Valerie Bertinelli?

[quote name='schotzee' post='436305' date='Feb 3 2007, 11:55 AM']You knew Valerie Bertinelli?[/quote]

Let's put it like this. I hooked up with her in a chat room, associated with Van Halen of course, and we got along well so we did exchange mails. I used to play pool professionally, she knew this, and when they were redecorating the game room in their house she asked me for a lot of advice on good equipment, layouts etc... I worked with her, via mail and phone, a few times during that process. She told me that whenever I came to the US I could visit their house etc... but I never had the oppurtunity to take her up on that invitation before they got divorced. I've never met her face to face. Only mail and telephone. So, do I know Valerie Bertinelli? I guess you could say yes, that's not being sarcastic, but I don't really know her. Haven't heard a peep out of her since they got divorced. But I know for sure that the woman I was talking with is Val because she's the one that hooked me up with all the perks on the VHIII tour. And when I first got introduced to Eddie he hugged me and kissed me on the cheek and said it was from her.
MULLY
He's got one of my pool cues in his house. I should make him send me a guitar. :thumbsup:

P.S. Now, I do know Carmen Electra personally. Grew up with her. She was a student at my mom's dance school. If I was to go to wherever she is I'm 100% positive that I could get to see her....if the message was given to her that I was there and wanting to see her.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='436287' date='Feb 3 2007, 10:33 AM']Alex is NOT a great drummer. Michael is NOT a great bass player. Michael's harmonies are far from screeching, they round out many, many chorus and verse parts for many, many VH songs, therefore making him less dispensible than Alex.
Dude, seriously...Alex just isn't that great a drummer.[/quote]

Yeah, I can't argue with either of those comments. They both do what they do very well but neither one of them is going to be winning any awards. With that said, Alex had a really really cool drum solo on the 1996 (I think it was 96) tour. He had a click track going and he did this rumba type beat with it. It was pretty cool. Even though I think he's a fucking douchebag. hehe!! As for Mikey, his bass playing doesn't suck by any means but he's no Billy Sheehan. But that voice of his is classic Van Halen. A lot of those high pitch screams you hear on the classic VH albums, that you think were Dave, were actually Mike. Actually Mike and Dave together. His voice is an integral part of the classic Van Halen sound. They can get away with playing with another bass player but that voice is going to be missed big time.
MULLY

Guest Whodey420

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='436297' date='Feb 2 2007, 08:53 PM']I always thought Alex was a product of the roto-tom. He had a cool sound, and certainly was a decent drummer, but really was far from fantastic. If you want to see a fucking great drummer on a reunion tour, check out the Stewart Copeland and the Police coming to a stadium near you.[/quote]

If you want to check out an even better drummer. Go see "Rush" next time they're on
tour. Wont have to wait for some lame "Reunion" tour since these guys never let their
ego's get the best of them. :headbang:

[quote name='Whodey420' post='436369' date='Feb 3 2007, 10:44 PM']If you want to check out an even better drummer. Go see "Rush" next time they're on
tour. Wont have to wait for some lame "Reunion" tour since these guys never let their
ego's get the best of them. :headbang:[/quote]

And if you want to see an even better drummer go see Godsmack if they come to your area. Shannon Larkin is the second coming of God.
MULLY

Best Drum solo spot ever put on film. For those not familiar with Godsmack the guy in the beginning, on the tonga drums, or whatever the fuck they're called, is the vocalist. Him and Shannon are a killer pair. Pay attention for Rush tribute at the end.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G57VhB9nSuw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G57VhB9nSuw[/url]

Guest schotzee

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='436311' date='Feb 2 2007, 10:24 PM']Let's put it like this. I hooked up with her in a chat room, associated with Van Halen of course, and we got along well so we did exchange mails. I used to play pool professionally, she knew this, and when they were redecorating the game room in their house she asked me for a lot of advice on good equipment, layouts etc... I worked with her, via mail and phone, a few times during that process. She told me that whenever I came to the US I could visit their house etc... but I never had the oppurtunity to take her up on that invitation before they got divorced. I've never met her face to face. Only mail and telephone. So, do I know Valerie Bertinelli? I guess you could say yes, that's not being sarcastic, but I don't really know her. Haven't heard a peep out of her since they got divorced. But I know for sure that the woman I was talking with is Val because she's the one that hooked me up with all the perks on the VHIII tour. And when I first got introduced to Eddie he hugged me and kissed me on the cheek and said it was from her.
MULLY
He's got one of my pool cues in his house. I should make him send me a guitar. :thumbsup:

P.S. Now, I do know Carmen Electra personally. Grew up with her. She was a student at my mom's dance school. If I was to go to wherever she is I'm 100% positive that I could get to see her....if the message was given to her that I was there and wanting to see her.[/quote]

I'd consider that pretty much knowing Valerie.That's cool.I can't believe they split,they were one of them couples that were together for so long,they looked like one another.I know you know Carmen also,I remember one of your earlier threads with her picture in it when she was younger.

[quote name='Whodey420' post='436369' date='Feb 3 2007, 07:44 AM']If you want to check out an even better drummer. Go see "Rush" next time they're on
ego's get the best of them. :headbang:[/quote]
There is no questioning the greatness of Peart, however to watch him would mean sitting through a Rush concert, so I would respectfully decline.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='436651' date='Feb 3 2007, 10:04 PM'][b]And if you want to see an even better drummer go see Godsmack if they come to your area. Shannon Larkin is the second coming of God.[/b]MULLY
Best Drum solo spot ever put on film. For those not familiar with Godsmack the guy in the beginning, on the tonga drums, or whatever the fuck they're called, is the vocalist. Him and Shannon are a killer pair. Pay attention for Rush tribute at the end.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G57VhB9nSuw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G57VhB9nSuw[/url][/quote]
You have to be kidding. Right? Please say you are.

A side note...Larkin used to be in Ugly Kid Joe.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='436756' date='Feb 5 2007, 01:32 AM']You have to be kidding. Right? Please say you are.

A side note...Larkin used to be in Ugly Kid Joe.[/quote]

Not kidding at all. The guy is a fantastic drummer. He used to be in Wrathchild too. I saw them countless times at Annie's during the late 80's. I probably saw Larkin so many times it's not funny and I had no idea he was their (Wrathchild's) drummer until recently.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='436921' date='Feb 4 2007, 05:17 PM']Not kidding at all. The guy is a fantastic drummer. He used to be in Wrathchild too. I saw them countless times at Annie's during the late 80's. I probably saw Larkin so many times it's not funny and I had no idea he was their (Wrathchild's) drummer until recently.
MULLY[/quote]
Holy Fuck!! I forgot all about Wrathchild...those guys tore it up. Anyway, I should have been clearer...Larkin is a solid drummer - very good in fact, but I couldn't put him in the Peart legend class at this point. But hey, to each his own.

Guest Whodey420
[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='436752' date='Feb 4 2007, 11:31 AM']There is no questioning the greatness of Peart, however to watch him would mean sitting through a Rush concert, so I would respectfully decline.[/quote]

That's understandable I guess. Like you said to each his own. I've seen them about
a dozen times from 1981 on. The most recent time was in 2002 when they finally got
back in the studio and did a tour. They didnt record or tour from like 1996 I think it
was until 2002 because Neil Peart lost both his wife and daughter in like a 6 month span
in 1996. His wife died of cancer and his daughter was killed in a car crash. Apparently
he purchased a motorcycle and took off on it. I cant remember exactly how long of a ride
he went on but I think it was either 9 months or maybe 18 months but in that time he put
like 50,000 miles on it and kept a journal of his travels and wrote a couple of books.
One is called "The Masked Rider" and the other one "The Ghost Rider". Havent read either
one but I'd bet they're both a good read. When I saw them in 2002 and Neil went into his
solo it actually brought tears to my eyes just thinking the "hell" he had been thru and he
really seemed to enjoy being back on tour. Definately an incredible solo. The guy can
get his feet going faster than I can get my hands going lol.

• 5 months later...

I am a fucking glutton for punishment, but here's to holding my breath one more time...

[url="http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003606613"]http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003606613[/url]

[quote]A proposed summer amphitheater tour by a reunited Van Halen that was derailed when guitarist Eddie Van Halen checked into rehab now looks like it may be resurrected as a fall arena run. Several arena holds are in place in major markets for potential Van Halen dates, Billboard.com has learned.

The tour, negotiations for which were first tipped here on Jan. 24, would feature David Lee Roth, Eddie and Alex Van Halen and Eddie Van Halen's teenage son Wolfgang on bass.

Wheels had been in motion for a 40-date, Live Nation-produced amphitheater tour, with original frontman Roth back in the fold for the first time in more than 20 years. Van Halen last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore.

But the reunion never got off the ground, and Eddie Van Halen entered a rehabilitation facility for undisclosed reasons in March. In the months since, the artist has been seen publicly looking healthy and fit.

The buzz surrounding the prospect of a Van Halen tour with Roth seems to point toward a successful trek. "I see it absolutely as an inevitability," Roth told Billboard.com more than a year ago regarding a tour with his ex-bandmates. "To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!'"[/quote]
[center] :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
:049: :049: :049: :049: :049: :049: :049: [/center]

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='509289' date='Jul 10 2007, 11:01 PM']I am a fucking glutton for punishment, but here's to holding my breath one more time...

[url="http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003606613"]http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003606613[/url]
[center] :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
:049: :049: :049: :049: :049: :049: :049: [/center][/quote]

Yeah, this story came out a few days ago. I should have told you, man. Only thing is that I've stopped holding my breath for these guys. Once they're on the road then I'll be getting stoked.
MULLY
the first show is supposedly in September at some 6,000 seat tiny ass place.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='509292' date='Jul 10 2007, 03:06 PM']Yeah, this story came out a few days ago. I should have told you, man. Only thing is that I've stopped holding my breath for these guys. Once they're on the road then I'll be getting stoked.
MULLY
the first show is supposedly in September at some 6,000 seat tiny ass place.[/quote]
There is a part of me that knows I will only be disappointed once again, but what can I say? I've been waiting to see this show for 23 years. If they don't tour Europe, I'll be flying home to catch a show. Not a chance in hell I would miss the chance to see Dave and Eddie on stage together.

The Mrs. put on 1984 Sunday afternoon while we were hanging out @ home. I've been smiling ever since. Funny how much that album (even though I prefer their earlier stuff) affected me. (goes to find WACF...)

Archived