Van Halen to tour with David Lee Roth

MULLY

I do love me some VH with Dave (the first 4 records anyway) but the term[i] flogging a dead horse[/i] wouldn't apply more than with these guys and I just can't get excited about or even want to see a reunion. The real magic they had disappeared long before DLR split anyway.
Eddie did a pretty revealing interview with Eddie Spaghetti back in 97 or so and admitted that he never listens to Rock n Roll and no longer cares enough or has the desire to play in the fashion he did on those early records. His playing over the years has become uninspired and the music has suffered. If they did get together enough to last a few shows it would be nothing more than going through the motions.
I have some great memories of VH concerts from my youth including seeing them play with Sabbath on one of their first tours and it would just be rough to see these guys become some pathetic self parody..

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='509512' date='Jul 10 2007, 09:49 PM']I do love me some VH with Dave (the first 4 records anyway) but the term[i] flogging a dead horse[/i] wouldn't apply more than with these guys and I just can't get excited about or even want to see a reunion. The real magic they had disappeared long before DLR split anyway.
Eddie did a pretty revealing interview with Eddie Spaghetti back in 97 or so and admitted that he never listens to Rock n Roll and no longer cares enough or has the desire to play in the fashion he did on those early records. His playing over the years has become uninspired and the music has suffered. If they did get together enough to last a few shows it would be nothing more than going through the motions.
I have some great memories of VH concerts from my youth including seeing them play with Sabbath on one of their first tours and it would just be rough to see these guys become some pathetic self parody..[/quote]
Yeah. I think that in most cases, once the brain cells that were used to come up with the great music have shrivelled and died that it's best to just hang it up. A band's magic can only be sustained for so long, which makes a band like U2 so remarkable, in the sense that they still come out with pretty fresh material without sounding old or jaded after all these years.
Unless of course, you spent all your money on cocaine in the early going and now you need to tour for the money to maintain your lifestyle!

• 4 weeks later...
[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20160745/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20160745/[/url]

[quote]Van Halen, Roth to announce reunion tour
Original singer will join rock supergroup for 50 U.S. dates
Reuters
Updated: 10:16 a.m. ET Aug. 7, 2007

NASHVILLE - Van Halen will announce a 50-date American reunion tour with original singer David Lee Roth during a news conference in Hollywood next week, sources said.

The arena trek will begin in early October.

Roth, who split from the rock group in the mid-1980s in hopes of solo stardom, will reunite with co-founders Eddie Van Halen on guitar and brother Alex Van Halen on drums. Eddie’s teenage son Wolfgang will sub for Michael Anthony on bass.

A proposed summer amphitheater tour by the group never got off the ground, with Eddie Van Halen entering a rehabilitation facility for undisclosed reasons in March.

In the months since, the guitarist has been seen publicly looking healthy and fit.

Van Halen last toured in 2004, with Roth’s replacement, vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore.[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/42.gif[/img]

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='523432' date='Aug 8 2007, 12:07 AM']I don't know, man, word around the grapevine where I'm at says it's looking pretty solid.
MULLY[/quote]

Ha.. the track record isn't good.
For the record I don't support it.. The magic is long gone. These guys hate each other and EVH has admitted he doesn't like Rock n Roll anymore.
Guess they need money enough to become sad self-parodies...

Archived