LB Hartwell a possibility?

[quote name='atlbengalfan' post='448802' date='Mar 2 2007, 03:16 PM']i'm in falcon country and he would be a nice signing but he cannot or could not stay healthy for the falcons. he missed a ton of games in the 2 years he was here and when he was playing he was ok. very briam simmons esque[/quote]

We already had Brian Simmons. Why would we want someone just like him?

It's funny, because Hartwell was one of those bigger-ticket guys two years ago.

Obviously, to sign him now would mean adjusting the $$ to the possibility of him getting injured...But he could play the middle, if healthy.

BZ

[quote name='TheBZ' post='448807' date='Mar 2 2007, 03:23 PM']It's funny, because Hartwell was one of those bigger-ticket guys two years ago.

Obviously, to sign him now would mean adjusting the $$ to the possibility of him getting injured...But he could play the middle, if healthy.

BZ[/quote]

Is it true we have a corner on PS that can run a 40 in 4.32? Why haven't we signed him?

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='448813' date='Mar 2 2007, 03:30 PM']If he's able to heal, he'd be a very nice signing...plus, if I recall, he was a Marvin favorite. Fuck it...I predict that we sign him pending a physical.[/quote]

Have you seen the FA list? Its lame. The players are either too expensive, too old, too torn up, or too mediocre to play on this team. We have the players we want and others do too. They are going after our players because they are quality. I say sign our own guys and lets go to the draft.

[quote name='Jeb' post='448821' date='Mar 2 2007, 02:37 PM']Have you seen the FA list? Its lame. The players are either too expensive, too old, too torn up, or too mediocre to play on this team. We have the players we want and others do too. They are going after our players because they are quality. I say sign our own guys and lets go to the draft.[/quote]
Agreed in terms of re-signing our own, however we will need bodies at LB with experience...something the current roster is sorely lacking.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='448839' date='Mar 2 2007, 03:51 PM']Agreed in terms of re-signing our own, however we will need bodies at LB with experience...something the current roster is sorely lacking.[/quote]

Donnie Edwards has the stats but what's his pricetag (and he's 33)? Its true Cato isn't good against the run. We can't afford A.Thomas. Who's left on that list that is better and cheaper than Simmons? I'm thinking that we just have to live with what we've got and pickup an LB in the draft. Go with all young blood and let Marvin take that clay and mold them into a real LB core.

If Hartwell can pass a physical sign him up, he's a beast. 2 years ago he was the BEST young ILB in the game, unfortunately for him he had a few season ending injuries, but he's young enough to come back and still be extremely productive for atleast 3-4 years. We need a veteran as I will be very nervous about our defense if Johnson and Miller are our most experienced guys.

We desperately need a lb with experience not named Landon or Caleb, those guys are great at what the coaches ask them to do, but we need more. If we sign Hartwell it would be a great way to start off FA.

Btw, this guy has the wierdest name in the league, Edgerton wtf is that, but I wouldn't say that to his face though.

Cato June is so damn over-rated, he's a slow safety who plays lb. We already have two smallish lb's in Johnson and Miller, I like those guys better than June anyway. But forget that, give me Hartwell, if he's healthy.

My honest opinion is that Hartwell was a product of the ravens system and being surrounded by so many other talented players that he was able to run free and make plays, besides the fact that he stayed hurt, he wasn't half the beast he was when he was in Baltimore. I surely would pass on this guy....

Guest PakMan
[quote name='BengalInPa' post='448852' date='Mar 2 2007, 04:16 PM']My honest opinion is that Hartwell was a product of the ravens system and being surrounded by so many other talented players that he was able to run free and make plays, besides the fact that he stayed hurt, he wasn't half the beast he was when he was in Baltimore. I surely would pass on this guy....[/quote]
Ding, ding, ding...we've got a winner!

Its so funny what people think of some free agents...if they are on a defense that sucks it means they arent worthwhile and we shouldnt even look at the guy, yet if hes on a good defense we shouldnt look at the guy either because he is just a product of the system. I mean whether he is or isnt either one of those, judging a defender based on how his defense was is stupid. 1 guy doesnt make or break a defense. Hartwell being on a bad atlanta defense doesnt mean he is bad, or him being on a good d doesnt mean that he only looked good because of the guys around him.

Im not saying he is that good, but if Marvin looks at him and decides to sign him I trust him and realize that he knows a lot more then you or i know about defense.

Guest Bengals1181
I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed. Its a pretty safe bet that we are going to sign a veteran LB before the draft (albeit to a cap friendly deal).

Guest Patmo
[quote name='TheBZ' post='448807' date='Mar 2 2007, 03:23 PM']It's funny, because Hartwell was one of those bigger-ticket guys two years ago.

BZ[/quote]

I'll take a young,healthy college draftee.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='TheBZ' post='448807' date='Mar 2 2007, 03:23 PM'][b]It's funny, because Hartwell was one of those bigger-ticket guys two years ago.
[/b]

BZ[/quote]
and we were interested in him as well. he is a very good LB who has had health concerns. id take a shot on him if the price is reasonable.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='448831' date='Mar 2 2007, 08:47 PM']We are fine.

Landon and Miller are VETERANS.[/quote]
BINGO!

Landon has led this team in tackles, what, 2 or 3 seasons now? The guy is not a rookie, he is a vet. And unlike Simmons, he's still young enough to produce, as is Miller.

Of course, if they don't end up here b/c of free agency we are in deep shit. But if one or both of them are back, we should be ok. Though my crazy ass still holds out hope for Adalius against all odds....

CJ call it what you want, but there have been many a player that fail when they leave a good system and play elsewhere, Look at Gregg Lloyd, Carlos Emmons, Dexter Coakley, Adam Archuletta, all these players where on teams loaded with talent, but when they left, they played like ish.. Period... On the other hand, I'll take a player that makes plays on a shitty D before I take the previous. Takeo Spikes made plays on a shitty Bengals D, Kameron Wimbley is making plays on a shitty Browns D, all I'm saying is that every name that comes up shouldn't be a Hey... What about this guy..... Lucky we have some fans that have some common football sense here.

[quote name='Patmo' post='448894' date='Mar 2 2007, 05:38 PM']I'll take a young,healthy college draftee.[/quote]

Exactly! This FA list is substandard. We shouldn't be accepting and paying for mediocrity like the Stains!

Archived