so how about dem Reds

Guest Gonzoid
Trust me, I would love nothing more than to see the Reds knock the likes of the Cards, the Astros and the rest of MLB silly. I'm just sayin', wait until they actually play the games.

But I did dig Marty, Thom and Jeff last week.

You must also consider who we've played so far- Pissburgh twice and the Devil Rays (easy wins) and the Twinkies twice (fairly easy considering we took Torii Hunter out of both games last Friday night). However, beating the Phillies the way we did may be a solid indicator that the Reds are hot right now. Wait until we play the Yankees tomorrow night and the Red Sox and Braves next weekend- that should tell us what kind of team we have. However, I am very impressed so far (except for Wilson :rant: )

[quote name='The Entertainer' post='451851' date='Mar 6 2007, 06:48 PM']You must also consider who we've played so far- Pissburgh twice and the Devil Rays (easy wins) and the Twinkies twice (fairly easy considering we took Torii Hunter out of both games last Friday night). However, beating the Phillies the way we did may be a solid indicator that the Reds are hot right now. Wait until we play the Yankees tomorrow night and the Red Sox and Braves next weekend- that should tell us what kind of team we have. However, I am very impressed so far (except for Wilson :rant: )[/quote]

I agree....even though the competition has been bleak....they have shown poise and the consistent ability to get the runs in. Finding that lock down in the 4th-5th starting pitching spot will be the key. Lohse has a tweaked hamstring and whole bunch of pitchers trying for the 5th spot. Wilson will be better to start in AAA and then come up around May. Hopefully....this will continue for a while. It is good to see the youth heat up early. :headbang:

Don't buy into the preseason hype. Sure, I love the Reds, but lets get real.
A promising preseason plus a hot start through June will put butts in the seats and them in first place....until the inevitable post All-Star break decline that has defined the Reds for a few years running.
And I will happily eat crow when and if I am wrong.
I love the Reds, but I just don't see vast improvement.
The only thing we have going for us is the fact that besides St Louis, the Central is a weak division, so I suppose it's anybody's guess as to how it will play out, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
I'll watch as many games as I can, go to a few, spend some dollars on them, root like hell from home and at GABP, and not hold my breath for anything other than a slight improvement from last year.

Personally, I like what I have seen so far. But I'm not convinced this is a playoff team. As such, I would be willing to sacrifice this season for the future. Homer Bailey would be in my starting rotation, Josh Hamilton would be my center fielder, and Joey Votto would be my first baseman. They might only win 70 games this year, but I think it would make them a better team in 2008 when I think they will compete. Kind of like what the Braves did when Smoltz, Glavine and Avery were rookies all at about the same time.

The Reds will almost certainly start the season well. They have done so at least three times in the last four years. We'll see if the improved pitching rotation can hold up long enough to keep us in contention through September.

Whatever happens, go Reds. B)

Guest schotzee

10-2 keep er rolling guy's :headbang:
Just checking stats on espn.com.We have scored 31 more runs than we have allowed :o .I hope they can start a little more of a downward trend to runs giving up,but can't really complain right now.The only ones close to our ratio are the redbirds at 26 more I believe.

Archived