!!!!!!! THE OFFICIAL 2007 NFL DRAFT THREAD !!!!!!!

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='478313' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:08 PM']was that post supposed to help you're reasoning in any way?
The Bengals don't need a center and they'd be stupid to reach for a 2nd or even 3rd string TE. It's that simple. What's so fucking hard for you to get through your brain?[/quote]

Reason, if you can get it, is that the TE should have been taken at #18. But you say: no we needed defense more. I can buy that. But, logically, if you want to truly amp up the offense, why would you not want to do it with a legitimate TE as opposed to a spare part RB. Unless you don't believe in the greatness that is Kenny Watson I suppose.

(BTW I am fine with the Leon Hall pick)

"The Bengals don't need a center.." Simple as that, eh? Go ahead and place Ryan Khalil next to Bluto, and see who the majority of NFL coaches would take.

What reasoning do you have--exclusive of "because I said so"?

If you're this ga-ga over the 2nd round pick...I can hardly wait for all the 5th Rounders tomorrow.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='478325' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:19 PM']nice dodging of the facts. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img][/quote]

i'll reply to that, you deserve that. in the meantime, nice dodging your own words and not living up to them. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='478272' date='Apr 28 2007, 08:45 PM']unless we trade up.
Maybe Chris Perry and a 7th for a 3rd? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img][/quote]
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='478322' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:15 PM']sneaky, logic has no place in this thread.[/quote]

You don't say...

Fucking Jets...taking David Harris from us...just makes me hate them even more.

[quote name='bengaled' post='478327' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:22 PM']actually, my suggestion was to move up a few spots, not down. by doing so a couple of very good players were available...ones we had shown interest in by bringing them into town...ones that marvin implied in his interview that we missed out on THAT HE WAS INTERESTED IN. durant quickly comes to mind.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]The Bengals rarley move up in drafts, they either stand pat or move down. You should know know that by now.
The only player that I have ever witnessed th Bengals move up and get was Ki-Jana Carter. After that experience, I'm sure
Mike Brown said, "To hell with that idea....never again".[/b][/color]

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Le Tigre' post='478328' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:24 PM']Reason, if you can get it, is that the TE should have been taken at #18. But you say: no we needed defense more. I can buy that. But, logically, if you want to truly amp up the offense, why would you not want to do it with a legitimate TE as opposed to a spare part RB. Unless you don't believe in the greatness that is Kenny Watson I suppose.

(BTW I am fine with the Leon Hall pick)

"The Bengals don't need a center.." Simple as that, eh? Go ahead and place Ryan Khalil next to Bluto, and see who the majority of NFL coaches would take.

What reasoning do you have--exclusive of "because I said so"?

If you're this ga-ga over the 2nd round pick...I can hardly wait for all the 5th Rounders tomorrow.[/quote]

man, you're making a hell of a lot of assumptions in that post.

First, "Go ahead and place Ryan Khalil next to Bluto, and see who the majority of NFL coaches would take. ", what does that have to do with anything? By that logic, the if the Colts had the #1 pick in 2003 they should have taken Carson Palmer even though they had Peyton Manning. You upgrade positions that NEED upgrading. You don't draft players at positions that you are set on just because they may potentially be better in the long run. We are set at C, it would be foolish to draft one just because they were available.

As for your TE logic, why would we take a TE at 18? He's a great talent, but he doesn't fit in with our team. Why draft someone who doesn't fit your needs?

As for the 2nd round pick, who said I"m ga-ga over it? I'm actually not a huge fan of it. I would have preferred a defensive pick there. However, it does upgrade a position that needs upgrading, and I'm not as stupid as some on this board to think that I know better than the coaching staff.

Guest Whodey420
If we were going on BPA then Ryan Kalil was it. We could always let Bluto take snaps at Guard. Stepanovich has
already played some Guard if Im not mistaken. You can never have enough quality offensive linemen on your
team. Especially if you have a QB like Carson you want to have QUALITY depth. We could've found a decent
back-up RB in the 4th. Carson is THE FRANCHISE, if you're gonna draft for depth in the 2nd round it should be on someone who's gonna be protecting his ass. I'm more surprised by the pick than disappointed though.

[color="#FF0000"][b]The Bengals got the 1st or 2nd best corner in round 1, and the 3rd best runner in round 2, yet some
are still unhappy about it..[/b][/color]

[quote name='Whodey420' post='478347' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:40 PM']If we were going on BPA then Ryan Kalil was it. We could always let Bluto take snaps at Guard. Stepanovich has
already played some Guard if Im not mistaken. You can never have enough quality offensive linemen on your
team. Especially if you have a QB like Carson you want to have QUALITY depth. We could've found a decent
back-up RB in the 4th. Carson is THE FRANCHISE, if you're gonna draft for depth in the 2nd round it should be on someone who's gonna be protecting his ass. I'm more surprised by the pick than disappointed though.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]I beg to differ, generally speaking, with the exception of tackles, guards and centers got to be big time studs, to
be selected in the 1st and 2nd rounds. This year's class of interior offensive lineman, was very, very weak.

Kalil might be a good player, but any other year, he would be 3rd or 4th round talent. The Bengals already
have a 3-way battle for the starting center spot that will start in training camp, and the depth at RB was very
thin and unstable.

If Kalil was the BPA, then Irons was the second best. And we were hurting more at RB than we were at C.[/b][/color]

Guest Tigris
Those late rounder TEs are still there... looking forward to drafting one of those guys in the 4th/5th/6th.

I'm going to predict we go DL in the 4th, TE in the 5th, and a WR in one of the 7th rounders...

the other 7th and 6th i have no clue... defense?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='478307' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:04 PM']no, as usual, you don't know how to read. Look at the redskins for example. They are a crappy team, and they don't have a 2nd, 3rd, or fourth pick this year because of risky management of draft picks. Look at Cleveland, they gave up a first round pick next year on Quinn, who many think isn't much better than the QB's available in the 2nd round. Look at the saints back in 99' I beleive who traded all of their picks for Ricky Williams. That devastated their team for years.

Now look at New England and Philadelphia, teams that stockpile picks. You win by building through the draft, and you don't do that by trading away picks. By taking too big of risks.

In the coaches eyes, it wasn't worth trading up 2 or 3 picks to get a Harris or Durant and give up an extra draft pick. Or, they may have tried and didn't succeed. Who are you to think you know better than them?[/quote]

i would balance that argument that teams move up all the time and make successful trades. successful teams, teams like the patriots, pissburgh, and baltimore are among teams that have had great success in prior years. the success of this years' trades can't be judged for a few years, but it's crazy to blanket all movements as a redskins type maneuver.

concerning the quinn traded. cleveland would almost HAVE to feel they're going to be picking lower next year than they did this year. knowing they had to graba QB soon, why not use next years 1st rounder on him in a trade. it makes great sense to me. you sign your franchise QB at a deal that's based on the 22nd pick in the 1st round, instead of one that's based on a much higher figure and that holds for the life of his rookie contract. can you say bargain? if you were of the mindset you'd have to make that pick (QB) next year, why not also go ahead and take him this year? then he's one year further along in your system as compared to next year's guy. the situation is quite similar to the justifications we used to take brooks last year, and quinn will have a full camp that brooks missed. just how is that bad policy? especially when you 're convinced he truely is your guy, since a fellow NFL coach of yours (weis) has groomed him and you have his advice to lead you.

cleveland took advantage of a draft board, and the teams on it that were settled in their starting qb situations, to make a huge steal. quinn was considered a top 5 pick almost unanimously at the beginning of the day. they gambled and won.

[quote name='sneaky' post='478348' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:40 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]The Bengals got the 1st or 2nd best corner in round 1, and the 3rd best runner in round 2, yet some
are still unhappy about it..[/b][/color][/quote]
Hell add probably the 2nd best if not the best LB in the draft in round 3.

Good day overall.

Guest BlackJesus
[center][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Sorry I went AWOL ...

But the Irons pick sent me onto a bender[/size][/font]

[img]http://myspace-982.vo.llnwd.net/00715/28/99/715979982_m.jpg[/img][/b][/center]

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='JC' post='478370' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:49 PM']Hell add probably the 2nd best if not the best LB in the draft in round 3.
Good day overall.[/quote]

who?

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='478372' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:50 PM'][center][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Sorry I went AWOL ...

[img]http://myspace-982.vo.llnwd.net/00715/28/99/715979982_m.jpg[/img][/b][/center][/quote]

LOL Guys on your wish list is almost gone.

[quote name='Whodey420' post='478347' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:40 PM']If we were going on BPA then Ryan Kalil was it. We could always let Bluto take snaps at Guard. Stepanovich has
back-up RB in the 4th. Carson is THE FRANCHISE, if you're gonna draft for depth in the 2nd round it should be on someone who's gonna be protecting his ass. I'm more surprised by the pick than disappointed though.[/quote]

[b]WORD!![/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='478372' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:50 PM'][center][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]Sorry I went AWOL ...

[img]http://myspace-982.vo.llnwd.net/00715/28/99/715979982_m.jpg[/img][/b][/center][/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]You will come around when the season gets under way. I promise that.[/b][/color]

[quote name='texbengal' post='478305' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:03 PM']Were you channeling? Tex Shramm died a few years ago. :)[/quote]

dammit tex, i get you texans all screwed up. :thumbsup: i was thinking of that other personnel guy from down there in that there dallas town....you know the guy.

i can't even get the old lady to talk to me today, much less the dead. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='JC' post='478379' date='Apr 28 2007, 09:55 PM']Hopefully Solai falls to us tomorrow. I would be stoked to have Peko and Solai playing next to each other.
Brooks.[/quote]

gotcha. ;) I thought you were implying that there was a LB in the 3rd we should trade up for.

Archived