Sony cuts PS3 price

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='510785' date='Jul 14 2007, 03:10 PM']I Dont understand why some of you are having such an issue with this... if you want a better system with more capability spend the money on a PS3 if you want to save some loot and still have fun playing games get a 360. not that difficult.

noone is forcefeeding anyone anything, when you walk into that store you know what you are spending 600 bucks on. its your choice.[/quote]
are you dumb?

how is the ps3 a better system? the only positive is it has blue ray (which becomes a negative because some companies arent making games for them cuz they dont want to deal with the increased costs of the blue ray disc). the 360 can stand with the ps3 on anything and even surpass it in others.

the ps3 having a blue ray is pointless. who uses their video game system as a freakin dvd player besides younger people? i am using my 360 as a DVD player right now, just because i dont have a lot of room to put up a DVD player. When i buy my own house in a year or two i will definitely not be playing DVDs on a video game system. The view isnt much different between a blue ray and hd dvd unless you have a really badass tv as well. If you are going to throw the money for a $400-600 system and a really nice tv, then im sure you have the money to buy your own DVD player as well and its better for the life of your system and your DVDs.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='510785' date='Jul 14 2007, 03:10 PM']I Dont understand why some of you are having such an issue with this... if you want a better system with more capability spend the money on a PS3 if you want to save some loot and still have fun playing games get a 360. not that difficult.

noone is forcefeeding anyone anything, when you walk into that store you know what you are spending 600 bucks on. its your choice.[/quote]

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

i think the issue is, people pretending the ps3 has more capabilities..... case in point. pretty small crowd that gives a damn about a blu ray player. and aside from that you have pretty much nothing. and according to recent reports, some game engines are going to play faster on the 360.

unless your super geeked about a blu ray player and for some reason want a video game system as your entertainment center, the ps3 offers nothing.

Blueray, real 1080p not some upconvert, bluetooth, built in wireless....

oh and amenhouseofpain, i have a 47" lg lcd full 1080p and a ps3 and im using it as my blueray player. why would i spend another 500-1000 on a dvd player? to look cool. get out of here dude. i wanted a next gen console, sony has always owned the competition and will surpass microsoft in units sold in due time. i also wanted a blueray dvd player so it made perfect sense to get the all in one solution.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='511014' date='Jul 15 2007, 02:13 PM']Blueray, real 1080p not some upconvert, bluetooth, built in wireless....

oh and amenhouseofpain, i have a 47" lg lcd full 1080p and a ps3 and im using it as my blueray player. why would i spend another 500-1000 on a dvd player? to look cool. get out of here dude. i wanted a next gen console, sony has always owned the competition and will surpass microsoft in units sold in due time. i also wanted a blueray dvd player so it made perfect sense to get the all in one solution.[/quote]

since when was xbox not real 1080p? bluetooth? when does that come in handy? build in wireless? we were over this already, not everyone wants it, and if they do, its still $20 cheaper with a bigger hard drive to get an elite and the wireless adapter.

your going in circles.

ps3 will pass 360? how do you figure? cause you have one and like it? all the sudden they are gonna sell 5 million consoles while 360 stops selling all together?

interesting philosophy. delusional, but interesting.

most people arent going to build their home entertainment system around a gaming console, in fact the target market, likely has the gaming system in their room so they dont bug their parents.

could you explain how the 360 continues to outsell the ps3, yet you think the ps3 will eventually sell MORE? thats the complete opposite of the last year. ps3's arent hard to find.

[quote]Microsoft just got back to us to clarify the Xbox 360's ability to transmit a digital signal. In short, it can, which means that Microsoft could conceivably release an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360. This is good news, and relieves a great deal of our concern over the Xbox 360's ability to effectively work with 1080p. Microsoft's full response is marked in the Q & A portion of this feature.[/quote]

-IGN

lemme guess "youll beleive it when you see it"

:lol: :lol:

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='511014' date='Jul 15 2007, 02:13 PM']Blueray, real 1080p not some upconvert, bluetooth, built in wireless....

oh and amenhouseofpain, i have a 47" lg lcd full 1080p and a ps3 and im using it as my blueray player. why would i spend another 500-1000 on a dvd player? to look cool. get out of here dude. i wanted a next gen console, sony has always owned the competition and will surpass microsoft in units sold in due time. i also wanted a blueray dvd player so it made perfect sense to get the all in one solution.[/quote]

are you using component cables? or did you spend $60-100 on the ps3 hdmi cable? (or were you smart enough to get one for like $9 from newegg.com)?

[quote]Sony has been touting their ability to output 1080p via dual HDMI ports while some have claimed most games won't be able to use that resolution. Checking out Sega's announcement that Virtua Fighter 5 will be a Playstation 3 exclusive and Epic's interview regarding Unreal Tournament 2007 reveals one common thread, that both are targeting 720p. Obviously these will be early titles in the systems lifespan so we may see later games kick it up to 1920x1080 and with few having HDTVs that display or accept a 1080p signal this is of limited importance. Still one has to wonder if Sony will even call these games high definition, since the only True HD is 1080p at least according to Phil Harrison.[/quote] - engadget HD

[quote]One PS3 developer claims that reaching smooth frame rates at 1080p resolution is "almost impossible."

Reaching good frame rates at 1080p with next-gen graphics is almost impossible."

--Anonymous developer to Kikizo

After the surprise upset last week that the high-end PS3 model will not be shipping with HDMI cables, SCEE spokesperson Jonathan Fargher clarified with Kikizo that Sony has modified the HD video flag Image Constraint Token to allow 1080p signals to bypass the HDMI requirements. This way you can view Blu-ray movies or PS3 games that permit a 1080p output without an HDMI connection.

The problem is there is only one game running at 1080p at the moment -- Gran Turismo HD. And unless you're using the PS3 as a Blu-ray movie platform, according to Fargher, 1080p won't be a key feature on the PS3 for the time being.

This echoes statements we heard recently from a Sony Online Entertainment developer, who said that 720p and 1080i were the likeliest choice for PS3 developers for the foreseeable future. He speculated that slower-paced games like football might be up to handling 1080p resolutions, however.[/quote]

-ZING

[quote]According to several sources including Kikizo the PS3 first set of titles will be very simelar graphically to those seen on its currently released rival Xbox 360. The Cell processor is indeed a tricky one to program, however this cell chip offers coders who are talented alot more options when the full programming 'map' has been released from sony. Initially effects seen on PS3 will be featured on Xbox 360 aswell, though the main difference being that the PS3 can display a multitude of these effects at once without the performance 'hit'. -- (Click "Read More" below)

Once the developers get their heads around the programming techniques for the PS3 we should then start to see the PS3 rise above the 360, performing feats of graphical prowess that the 360 would struggle to throw up on screen. Another worry for gamers is that the infamous 1080p resolution Sony bragged would be the standard for games on the PS3 platform is a bit too ambitious, with resolution being the developers worst adversary we can expect for games to be produced in 720p for starters. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as games look very impressive at this resolution anyway, however to program games to use the 1080p res would be frame rate suicide according to some developers and a spokesman at Nvidia. This performance hit incurred by programming at this res is easily dodged by turning the res down for games produced on the PS3 system.

I would have thought that once developers manage to get a feel for programming the system and manage to optimize the code to run on it with higher frames then we might see an increase in resolution possibly but things haven't gone according to what Sony were bragging about initially so it looks like we'll be seeing an 'up scaled' 1080p not a native 1080p res as promised...

More on this as soon as Sony or other developers release statements...

Cheers

--Xeauron[/quote]

kerplowee

[quote]Where are the 1080p PS3 Games?
It's the Blu-Ray difference, right?
By Luke Smith, 09/06/2006
Part of the lure to Sony's Blu-Ray disc format is its expanded storage size, that size should, in theory allow gamers to play games at higher resolutions -- like 1080p (the resolution Microsoft said didn't matter, remember?). However, at this point in time, Kikizo reports that there are no games actually running in 1080p on Sony's PS3. The Gran Turismo HD demo from E3 was running in 1080p, but no currently announced software for the system is running at that resolution. Insomniac's Resistance: Fall of Man is reportedly supporting 720p and 1080i resolutions, but no 1080p. In light of other grim news for Sony, it feels a bit like a pile-on against the Japanese electronics company.[/quote]

im sorry, you were saying something about real 1080p and upconvert earlier?

[quote]In a recent post, Microsoft blogger Ozymandias continues his rant against Sony, PS3, and the Blu-ray drive. This time though, he’s got a good point when he mentions that load times are faster on a 360, since Sony is using a 2x speed BD drive, working at 9 MB/second. The Xbox360 uses a 12x DVD drive, where transfer speeds are at 16 MB/second. Even the PS3 DVD reader is faster than the Blu-ray.

Now imagine Resistance: Fall of Man, taking up a massive 22 GB, what sort of loading times can we expect? If there’s one thing Sony hasn’t openly talked about regarding the PS3, it’s the loading times.[/quote]

im using an hdmi cable and no i didnt get it from newegg, nor did i even pay 9 dollars for it. you have an elite dont you GO? how many others have the elite. because im pretty sure its the only one with hdmi capability. you cannot get 1080p from componet cables only hdmi so those of you that have a 360 other than an elite are getting an upconverted picture. ofcourse im sure you will probably come back with some bullshit about how 1080p is crappy because your tv doesnt support it and who cares about progressive scan anyway blah blah blah.

im defending my system because its the better system period. it offers more right out of the box. say what you like but the people that are buying a ps3 are buying it because sony has owned the videogame market since the release of the ps1. the potential for sony to take out microsoft in this war is there. and as of now the only people that are talking shit about the ps3 are either 1. not able to afford it, or two sick because they spent their money on a console that you have to spend over 300 dollars more to come even remotely close to the playstation3's capability right out of the box. (wireless adapter and external hd-dvd)

I not even sure why we are arguing. your buying a ps3, that explains it all at this point.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='511052' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:22 PM']im using an hdmi cable and no i didnt get it from newegg, nor did i even pay 9 dollars for it. you have an elite dont you GO? how many others have the elite. because im pretty sure its the only one with hdmi capability. you cannot get 1080p from componet cables only hdmi so those of you that have a 360 other than an elite are getting an upconverted picture. ofcourse im sure you will probably come back with some bullshit about how 1080p is crappy because your tv doesnt support it and who cares about progressive scan anyway blah blah blah.

im defending my system because its the better system period. it offers more right out of the box. say what you like but the people that are buying a ps3 are buying it because sony has owned the videogame market since the release of the ps1. the potential for sony to take out microsoft in this war is there. and as of now the only people that are talking shit about the ps3 are either 1. not able to afford it, or two sick because they spent their money on a console that you have to spend over 300 dollars more to come even remotely close to the playstation3's capability right out of the box. (wireless adapter and external hd-dvd)

I not even sure why we are arguing. your buying a ps3, that explains it all at this point.[/quote]

i just shot your real hdmi shit down with about 5 sources... you overpayed for the system you WANTED, not a better one... dont be silly, ps3's are colecting dust while elites and Wii's are out of stock everywhere...

heres some more about your sweet bluray player and games and load times..

[quote]Blog debate: PS3 to load games slower than the Xbox 360

110 Comments by Blake Snow Sep 4th 2006 1:50PM
Filed under: Sony PlayStation 3, Microsoft Xbox 360
From the "PS3 can't get a publicity break" file comes news that the system's Blu-ray load times will be slower than the DVD speeds of the Xbox 360.

Following our post regarding Resistance: Fall of Man's beefy 22GBs of data, Microsoft's Andre Vrignaud (aka Ozymandias) wrote about why storage capacity isn't as important as drive speed and -- wouldn'tcha know it? -- Blu-ray has bunches of the former and not so much of the latter.

Former Sony employee Mark DeLoura responded with a long, thoughtful response sticking up for the format that fanboys love to hate, talking textures, audio, and even read speed. Naturally, there's some guffawing from the other side of the aisle as Ozymandias takes umbrage with some of DeLoura's claims, notably that textures and other media will take up a sizable chunk of that Blu-ray disc. One area they are in agreement on is that Blu-ray's read speed isn't as fast as the Xbox 360's. Says DeLoura:

"Admittedly, Blu-Ray looks dicey from several non-capacity angles. Blu-Ray movies require a 1.5x Blu-Ray drive, or 54Mbits/second. Sony announced that PS3 uses a 2x BD drive, which is 72Mbits/second or 9MB/second. The Xbox 360 uses a 12x DVD, which should give it about 16MB/second. That is significantly faster for games and will result in shorter load times. And that 12x DVD drive should be a whole lot cheaper. (Note that the PS3 drive will do 8x DVD, and even that is faster than 2x BD.)"

Says Ozymandias in response: "This is pretty much what I've been saying regarding drive speeds. A good example of where we're pretty clearly agreeing."

So, they're in agreement. The PS3 will load slower than the Xbox 360, leading one to question whether bragging about 22GB discs is the most prudent course of action. Let's hope they use the compression technologies touched on in the debate to shrink the data down considerably, even if it obviates a key selling point of the console.[/quote]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='511047' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:18 PM']im sorry, you were saying something about real 1080p and upconvert earlier?[/quote]

NBA '07
Other products by Sony
Platform: PLAYSTATION 3

Product Features

[b]* Experience a new era of NBA action in 1080p, and a blistering 60 frames per second[/b]
* Take advantage of jukes, crossovers and spin moves as well as low-post moves using the PS3 motion sensor controller
* Reenact all of the past year's great performances by current NBA All-Stars - Score 81 points as Kobe Bryant, nab 21 rebounds with Ben Wallace or dish out 22 assists as Steve Nash
* Download 5 scenarios each week involving recent NBA games that are current and relevant in the NBA and try to relive those moments
* Crash the boards on a missed shot -- the new Power Boarding System lets players see the best position to grab the rebound

eh hem, you were saying.... it took me all of 1 second to find atliest 1 game broadcast in 1080p. hmmmmmmm

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='511052' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:22 PM']im using an hdmi cable and no i didnt get it from newegg, nor did i even pay 9 dollars for it. you have an elite dont you GO? how many others have the elite. because im pretty sure its the only one with hdmi capability. you cannot get 1080p from componet cables only hdmi so those of you that have a 360 other than an elite are getting an upconverted picture. ofcourse im sure you will probably come back with some bullshit about how 1080p is crappy because your tv doesnt support it and who cares about progressive scan anyway blah blah blah.

I not even sure why we are arguing. your buying a ps3, that explains it all at this point.[/quote]

so you think paying $600 for a console that has features you wont be able to use makes sense?

if someone has a standard tv, and no wireless internet... why would they want a ps3?

XBOX 360 ELITE + $100 for Wireless adapter:

120 GB Hard Drive
Included HDMI Cable
Wireless Internet

PS3:

60-80 GB Hard Drive
Not Included HDMI Cable
Wireless internet

boy you sure got a steal.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='511055' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:29 PM'][b]so you think paying $600 for a console that has features you wont be able to use makes sense?[/b]

if someone has a standard tv, and no wireless internet... why would they want a ps3?
XBOX 360 ELITE + $100 for Wireless adapter:

120 GB Hard Drive
Included HDMI Cable
Wireless Internet
PS3:

60-80 GB Hard Drive
Not Included HDMI Cable
Wireless internet
boy you sure got a steal.[/quote]

please explain to me what feature(s) the ps3 offers i wont be able to use?

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='511054' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:28 PM']NBA '07
Other products by Sony
Platform: PLAYSTATION 3

Product Features

[b]* Experience a new era of NBA action in 1080p, and a blistering 60 frames per second[/b]
* Take advantage of jukes, crossovers and spin moves as well as low-post moves using the PS3 motion sensor controller
* Reenact all of the past year's great performances by current NBA All-Stars - Score 81 points as Kobe Bryant, nab 21 rebounds with Ben Wallace or dish out 22 assists as Steve Nash
* Download 5 scenarios each week involving recent NBA games that are current and relevant in the NBA and try to relive those moments
* Crash the boards on a missed shot -- the new Power Boarding System lets players see the best position to grab the rebound

eh hem, you were saying.... it took me all of 1 second to find atliest 1 game broadcast in 1080p. hmmmmmmm[/quote]

wow, a whole game. well thats worth the $300 extra right there.... that 2x blu ray player should load that game pretty fast then huh?

so what, 1% of ps3 games are 1080p? INCREDIBLE!!!11111

[quote name='GoBengals' post='511057' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:34 PM']wow, a whole game. well thats worth the $300 extra right there.... that 2x blu ray player should load that game pretty fast then huh?

so what, 1% of ps3 games are 1080p? INCREDIBLE!!!11111[/quote]

i didnt look for anymore jackass, as i said a quick search shot down your bogus articles cred. thats all. have a nice day :wave:

are you jealous or something, i mean ever since i started the ps3 gamertag thread you have been sweatin my balls about owning a ps3. im just curious

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='511056' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:32 PM']please explain to me what feature(s) the ps3 offers i wont be able to use?[/quote]

i cant tell if your being bratty cause your realizing you overpaid for no real gain or if you really dont comprehend that statement, as i explain it in the same post..... the "you" wasnt meaning you/nastinati, its making fun of you making fun of people who dont have a 1080p tv (like 05% of the world) so its absurd they could care less about your upconvert 1080p games and blu ray player.

my point, as it has been for the last few weeks, is that the ps3 is in no way a superior gaming console, i have cited nearly a dozen articles talking about the lack of 1080p games, the upconvert 1080p is uses, its load times are slower than the 360's as it uses a 2x blu ray player, and 360 uses a 16x, i posted the article above. so the better quality or more 1080p non upconvert games ps3 releases, the longer the load times get, as the device is completely incabable of loading faster than the 9mb/sec or whatever it quotes in the article. its fact, not fanboy opinion. ps3 added futuristic features than arrtact about 5-10% tops of the gaming community. the pooch has been screwed by sony, nearly 2 years after its release, the 360 continues to outsell the ps3, its fact, your own chart proves it.

just because the ps3 offered great value for YOU with the features YOU enjoy from it, doesnt make it a better console on the marketplace or for even half of the gaming community, it makes it expensive and unrealistic to many parents and gamers of any age. enjoy your console and the features you love about it, dont pretend youve got some better than everyone else system that has super fresh features that no other console can do. it can play blu ray movies. great. my 360 plays video games, which is great, cause thats why i bought it. your acting like people are calling your dog anems because they think the ps3 isnt a great value for them, guess what, the entire world agrees, and sales all over the world prove it. take a deep breath and enjoy your upconvert 1080p games just like i do.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='511058' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:41 PM']i didnt look for anymore jackass, as i said a quick search shot down your bogus articles cred. thats all. have a nice day :wave:

are you jealous or something, i mean ever since i started the ps3 gamertag thread you have been sweatin my balls about owning a ps3. im just curious[/quote]

i guess acting like a 7 year old pretty much settles the arguement doesnt it?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='511060' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:48 PM']i cant tell if your being bratty cause your realizing you overpaid for no real gain or if you really dont comprehend that statement, as i explain it in the same post..... the "you" wasnt meaning you/nastinati, its making fun of you making fun of people who dont have a 1080p tv (like 05% of the world) so its absurd they could care less about your upconvert 1080p games and blu ray player.
my point, as it has been for the last few weeks, is that the ps3 is in no way a superior gaming console, i have cited nearly a dozen articles talking about the lack of 1080p games, the upconvert 1080p is uses, its load times are slower than the 360's as it uses a 2x blu ray player, and 360 uses a 16x, i posted the article above. so the better quality or more 1080p non upconvert games ps3 releases, the longer the load times get, as the device is completely incabable of loading faster than the 9mb/sec or whatever it quotes in the article. its fact, not fanboy opinion. ps3 added futuristic features than arrtact about 5-10% tops of the gaming community. the pooch has been screwed by sony, nearly 2 years after its release, the 360 continues to outsell the ps3, its fact, your own chart proves it.

just because the ps3 offered great value for YOU with the features YOU enjoy from it, doesnt make it a better console on the marketplace or for even half of the gaming community, it makes it expensive and unrealistic to many parents and gamers of any age. enjoy your console and the features you love about it, dont pretend youve got some better than everyone else system that has super fresh features that no other console can do. it can play blu ray movies. great. my 360 plays video games, which is great, cause thats why i bought it. your acting like people are calling your dog anems because they think the ps3 isnt a great value for them, guess what, the entire world agrees, and sales all over the world prove it. take a deep breath and enjoy your upconvert 1080p games just like i do.[/quote]

again, from the beginning when we first started this arguement a few threads ago my arguement was that the ps3 was a better value for the dollar. being i have a 1080p tv and can use the ps3 to it full capability explain to me why i would want a 360 elite over a ps3. i think that we are agreeing to disagree here. The ps3 is a better system for me because i can use all of its functionality. you felt a 360 was better because you dont have a 1080p tv and arent interested in blueray, which i have a feeling you will be when you upgrade your television.

at the end of the day im saying that the playstation offers more in one unit than the 360 because at the time of its launch it had a 1000 dollar blueray player in it, built in wireless, and if you have a sizeable game room you can be up to 30 feet away from the console with its bluetooth controllers. with that being said you have spent your time trying to argue that fact and im just curious why. you seem to think that the 360 is better because its cheaper and im asking you to prove that.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='511074' date='Jul 15 2007, 04:31 PM']I've been wondering which next-gen system to buy, and you two have settled it for me. I'm sticking with my PS2. Since it's obviously more fun to mock the other's system, than it is to play the one you own, I have come to the conclusion that both of them must suck ass.

:ninja:[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

that should tell u to buy the wii ;)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='511080' date='Jul 15 2007, 04:45 PM']Wow blutooth controlers :boring: (unless you get a standard system, all the controlers are wireless, who cares if they are blutooth or not?)[/quote]

[img]http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/68282/2/istockphoto_68282_pout.jpg[/img]

BUT ITS NOT BLUETOOTH

Archived