Cold Hard Football Predictions

oftt4

I imagine he is on Jaws' list still yes, but even if not I still like Jaws yes. I cant comment on the other two guys you listed as I havent seen enough of their stuff to give a fair opinion. There is a site I use who at this moment is completely escaping me (finals week for school burn out?) that I will post when I remember it.

And internal things dont get discussed externally and Ill just leave that at that.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='607666' date='Dec 11 2007, 08:34 PM']And internal things dont get discussed externally and Ill just leave that at that.[/quote]

So you got your PP slapped about something...gotcha.

So, who makes the probowl for AFC QB's this year?

Brady for obvious reasons.
Manning because his name is Peyton Manning (not a great statistical year for him)
then....?

I give the nod to Ben obviously..but Garrard makes a strong case...Anderson shouldnt even be close anymore. So to me it is down to Ben and Garrard (who missed several games).

[quote name='oftt4' post='611132' date='Dec 18 2007, 02:36 PM']So you got your PP slapped about something...gotcha.

So, who makes the probowl for AFC QB's this year?

Brady for obvious reasons.
Manning because his name is Peyton Manning (not a great statistical year for him)
then....?

I give the nod to Ben obviously..but Garrard makes a strong case...Anderson shouldnt even be close anymore. So to me it is down to Ben and Garrard (who missed several games).[/quote]

My PP?

Congrats to Ben on his 1st, Carson had a sub par year by his standards so Im not supprised (which is what I was aludeing to with my Brett Farve comment). Honestly with the record we had, I dont know that I would have even put TJ in. But this is about the individual so I guess I could see it.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='611243' date='Dec 18 2007, 06:24 PM']My PP?

Congrats to Ben on his 1st, Carson had a sub par year by his standards so Im not supprised (which is what I was aludeing to with my Brett Farve comment). Honestly with the record we had, I dont know that I would have even put TJ in. But this is about the individual so I guess I could see it.[/quote]

Yeah, your PP. It's a saying in the military (who I have apparently been working with for too long). It means you got in trouble with (or disciplined by) your superiors..."you got your peepee slapped".

Anyway. Yeah, I am happy for Ben. I feel that this should be his 2nd, but I am just happy he is getting some recognition. As for the others...Willie deserved it, Harrison deserved it.

Faneca didnt (nobody on that line deserves to even be paid), Polamalu didnt (missed too much time).

TJ has had a remarkable year, I dont see how they could hold him out.

[quote name='oftt4' post='611383' date='Dec 19 2007, 07:12 AM']Yeah, your PP. It's a saying in the military (who I have apparently been working with for too long). It means you got in trouble with (or disciplined by) your superiors..."you got your peepee slapped".

Anyway. Yeah, I am happy for Ben. I feel that this should be his 2nd, but I am just happy he is getting some recognition. As for the others...Willie deserved it, Harrison deserved it.

Faneca didnt (nobody on that line deserves to even be paid), Polamalu didnt (missed too much time).

TJ has had a remarkable year, I dont see how they could hold him out.[/quote]

Or I could have been given special privlidges that required taking me offline for a while, either way you know Im not going to discuss it. TJ has had a good year but its not anything that he hasnt done before, he caught the most passes in a year for any bengals player, but I imagine that had alot to do with Henry's suspention. Im actually glad Chad didnt make it though, hopefully it will humble him and make him focus on the things his game is missing (like blocking). Same with Carson, he needs to work on handeling pressure better and not forcing the ball in places he normally wouldnt just because he is playing from behind. I feel for him though because I know he wouldnt have thrown half the balls he did had we not almost always played from behind this year.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='611405' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:13 AM']Or I could have been given special privlidges that required taking me offline for a while, either way you know Im not going to discuss it.[/quote]

Jesus, you act like you are in the CIA. It's just a message board.

Oh...and I am rooting for you guys this weekend. So...you may want to save this post.

GO BENGALS!

[quote name='oftt4' post='611720' date='Dec 20 2007, 07:53 AM']Jesus, you act like you are in the CIA. It's just a message board.

Oh...and I am rooting for you guys this weekend. So...you may want to save this post.

GO BENGALS![/quote]

Im torn. Do I want to win an d put you guys as likely division champs giving you a tougher schedule next year (since I dont think you have much of a chance in the playoffs.. it's NE's year again. <_< ) or do I want to lose giving the browns the division and us a higher draft pick?

Tough call.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='611787' date='Dec 20 2007, 11:20 AM']Im torn. Do I want to win an d put you guys as likely division champs giving you a tougher schedule next year (since I dont think you have much of a chance in the playoffs.. it's NE's year again. <_< ) or do I want to lose giving the browns the division and us a higher draft pick?

Tough call.[/quote]

Well, a loss wont necessarily "give" the browns the division since pissburgh has the tiebreaker...a win however, will most likely "give" the Steelers the division.

As for not having a chance in the playoffs...nobody thought we had a chance the last time either. For the record, I think NE will probably go all the way, but stranger things have happened.

[quote name='oftt4' post='611799' date='Dec 20 2007, 11:41 AM']Well, a loss wont necessarily "give" the browns the division since pissburgh has the tiebreaker...a win however, will most likely "give" the Steelers the division.

As for not having a chance in the playoffs...nobody thought we had a chance the last time either. For the record, I think NE will probably go all the way, but stranger things have happened.[/quote]

and you wouldnt have had we gotten to play Palmer and Henry. :P

Stranger things have happened, but I really don't see the Browns advancing, and I think Pitt just has too many oline protection problems this year to beat a Colts or Patriots in the playoffs.
But again, anything can happen. I'd actually like to see the Packers win it all this year, although that's probably just as unlikely as the Steelers doing it.
I could live with the Colts again, as it's hard (at least for me) to dislike a self-deprecating guy like Manning and a class-act like Dungy, I just really don't want either the Cowboys or the Pats there, even if that is the odds-on favorite for the SB.
I wouldn't mind seeing a tough team like the Jags getting there. Fred Taylor deserves a ring after his continual probowl snubs and battles with injury over the years.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='611852' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:05 PM']Stranger things have happened, but I really don't see the Browns advancing, and I think Pitt just has too many oline protection problems this year to beat a Colts or Patriots in the playoffs.
But again, anything can happen. I'd actually like to see the Packers win it all this year, although that's probably just as unlikely as the Steelers doing it.
I could live with the Colts again, as it's hard (at least for me) to dislike a self-deprecating guy like Manning and a class-act like Dungy, I just really don't want either the Cowboys or the Pats there, even if that is the odds-on favorite for the SB.
I wouldn't mind seeing a tough team like the Jags getting there. Fred Taylor deserves a ring after his continual probowl snubs and battles with injury over the years.[/quote]

I feel pretty much exactly the way you do...except I want pissburgh to win it first and foremost...as much of a long shot as that may be.

I have always said that if I had to root for an NFC team, it would be the Packers.

[quote name='oftt4' post='611857' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:29 PM']I feel pretty much exactly the way you do...except I want pissburgh to win it first and foremost...as much of a long shot as that may be.

I have always said that if I had to root for an NFC team, it would be the Packers.[/quote]

if i had to root for an nfc team, it would be a dan snyder-less redskins.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='611243' date='Dec 18 2007, 07:24 PM']My PP?

Congrats to Ben on his 1st, Carson had a sub par year by his standards so Im not supprised (which is what I was aludeing to with my Brett Farve comment). Honestly with the record we had, I dont know that I would have even put TJ in. But this is about the individual so I guess I could see it.[/quote]

NOt calling just YOU out Jamie... but I've seen a few people say something about Carson having an off year "by his standards"

he's been a starter for 4 years.
Year 1- below average
Year 2- great
year 3- good
year 4- average to below (last two games could swing it either way)

What exactly is his standard? Again... Carson has great talent. I don't question that at all... but in reality.. he hasn't set any kind of "standard" for himself. And no... I'm not saying Ben has either.

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='612705' date='Dec 23 2007, 12:12 AM']NOt calling just YOU out Jamie... but I've seen a few people say something about Carson having an off year "by his standards"

Year 1- below average
Year 2- great
year 3- good

What exactly is his standard? Again... Carson has great talent. I don't question that at all... but in reality.. he hasn't set any kind of "standard" for himself. And no... I'm not saying Ben has either.[/quote]

Yeah year 3 winning the probowl mvp, was just "good". :rolleyes:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='612715' date='Dec 23 2007, 01:45 AM']Yeah year 3 winning the probowl mvp, was just "good". :rolleyes:[/quote]

Please tell me you don't consider it a great year just because he won the Pro Bowl Mvp. He finished 2nd is passing TDs.... but in most other QB categories he was around 5th or sixth. So YES... I call it a good year. Not great. But reguardless... whether good or great... it doesn't change my point. about his "standard"

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='612765' date='Dec 23 2007, 10:08 AM']Please tell me you don't consider it a great year just because he won the Pro Bowl Mvp. He finished 2nd is passing TDs.... but in most other QB categories he was around 5th or sixth. So YES... I call it a good year. Not great. But reguardless... whether good or great... it doesn't change my point. about his "standard"[/quote]

uhm 2nd in TDs, arent TDs what win football games? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img]

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='612705' date='Dec 23 2007, 12:12 AM']NOt calling just YOU out Jamie... but I've seen a few people say something about Carson having an off year "by his standards"

Year 1- below average
Year 2- great
year 3- good

What exactly is his standard? Again... Carson has great talent. I don't question that at all... but in reality.. he hasn't set any kind of "standard" for himself. And no... I'm not saying Ben has either.[/quote]

Leading the league in Interceptions is a bad year by anyone's standards, isnt it? Bengals fans were sure to point that out to us last year.

So for Ben, what would we have...

Year 1 - good
Year 2 - good
year 3 - below average
year 4 - great

As for Palmer being "great" in 2006...his yardage went up, but his passer rating was down, his completion percentage was down, his TD's were down, his interceptions were up (slightly), his sacks went WAY up...Pro Bowl MVP or no, he played better in 2005 (his best year by far).

There is a disturbing trend (for Bengals fans) developing...

Discounting his rookie year (which Bengals fans often do), Palmer's performance has gotten progressively worse season to season.

Passer rating: 101.1 to 93.9 to 84.6 (so far)
TD's: 32 to 28 to 23 (so far)
INT's: 12 to 13 to 19 (so far)

Once is a fluke, twice is coincidence, three times is a trend....next year could be Palmer's defining season.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='612915' date='Dec 23 2007, 02:43 PM']uhm 2nd in TDs, arent TDs what win football games? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img][/quote]

Yeah... and him being 2nd in the league in TD passes still only produced 8 wins. So again... he had a GOOD year... not a great one. And yet still... my point still stands.

And as for the game thread... I was cheering for your boys. I've never even opened a game thread before let alone post in one, and thus never heard of the "no opponents in game thread" rule (however stupid it may be). I thought my post was at least a little comical. I accepted the chickenshit suspension. I hope you saw some great sights on your powertrip.

That being said... glad your boys didn't choke it away. Thanks for the assist.

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='613684' date='Dec 24 2007, 05:47 PM']Yeah... and him being 2nd in the league in TD passes still only produced 8 wins. So again... he had a GOOD year... not a great one. And yet still... my point still stands.

And as for the game thread... I was cheering for your boys. I've never even opened a game thread before let alone post in one, and thus never heard of the "no opponents in game thread" rule (however stupid it may be). I thought my post was at least a little comical. I accepted the chickenshit suspension. I hope you saw some great sights on your powertrip.

That being said... glad your boys didn't choke it away. Thanks for the assist.[/quote]

LOL I can think of 2 games where he was the reason we lost, and even those could be debated that if we had a running game and even a mediorce defence he might not have forced 90% of the passes he did.

Oh yeah I know I know, the QB is the only reason teams win games. that 22.6 "won" the superbowl for you.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='613690' date='Dec 24 2007, 08:03 PM']LOL I can think of 2 games where he was the reason we lost, and even those could be debated that if we had a running game and even a mediorce defence he might not have forced 90% of the passes he did.

Oh yeah I know I know, the QB is the only reason teams win games. that 22.6 "won" the superbowl for you.[/quote]

And yet you still haven't addressed the actual point of my post.

And yeah that 22.6 sucked. But the scramble on 3rd and 28 to find an open reciever to convert the first down was a huge play and turning point in the game. As was his improvised run on 3rd down to convert to run out the clock late in the 4th. So yeah... he DID help us win that game, just not so much with his arm. His arm DID however get us by Indy and Denver. But I digress....

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='613690' date='Dec 24 2007, 07:03 PM'][b]LOL I can think of 2 games where he was the reason we lost[/b], and even those could be debated that if we had a running game and even a mediorce defence he might not have forced 90% of the passes he did.

Oh yeah I know I know, the QB is the only reason teams win games. that 22.6 "won" the superbowl for you.[/quote]

Werent there at least that many this year where he threw more TD passes to the other team than his own?

You cant blame the running game for throwing a shitload of interceptions...though you see to be trying like hell.

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='613721' date='Dec 24 2007, 11:36 PM']And yet you still haven't addressed the actual point of my post.

And yeah that 22.6 sucked. But the scramble on 3rd and 28 to find an open reciever to convert the first down was a huge play and turning point in the game. As was his improvised run on 3rd down to convert to run out the clock late in the 4th. So yeah... he DID help us win that game, just not so much with his arm. His arm DID however get us by Indy and Denver. But I digress....[/quote]

That Carson and Carson alone wins or loses game for us? Please. And if you talk to oftt its not Carson its our WRs.

[quote name='oftt4' post='613741' date='Dec 25 2007, 07:58 AM']Werent there at least that many this year where he threw more TD passes to the other team than his own?

You cant blame the running game for throwing a shitload of interceptions...though you see to be trying like hell.[/quote]

No running game means you dont have to bring the saftey down in the box, it changes the way teams play you when your one dimentional, and when your playing from behind your QB makes passes that he normally wouldnt trying to make something out of nothing. Not sure why thats hard to understand.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='613781' date='Dec 25 2007, 02:37 PM']That Carson and Carson alone wins or loses game for us? Please. And if you talk to oftt its not Carson its our WRs.

No running game means you dont have to bring the saftey down in the box, it changes the way teams play you when your one dimentional, and when your playing from behind your QB makes passes that he normally wouldnt trying to make something out of nothing. Not sure why thats hard to understand.[/quote]

Apparently you forgot my first post on the subject. A few around here, yourself included have made remarks about this being a down year for Carson "by his standards". My point is... he has no standard. In 4 years as a starter he's had two up years (one good one great) and two down years (One bad and borderline bad/average).

Ben played from behind quite a bit last year as well.... but around these parts(not saying YOU,... just in general)... he sucked... he wasn't trying to make something out of nothing.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='613781' date='Dec 25 2007, 01:37 PM']That Carson and Carson alone wins or loses game for us? Please. And if you talk to oftt its not Carson its our WRs.[/quote]

How can you say that it isnt? Do you have any year to compare when Palmer didnt have Johnson (gamebreaker) - TJ (strong possession reciever) - etc? It is no coincidence when a QB's numbers are off the charts when they have a Chad Johnson/Terrel Owens/Randy Moss kind of deep threat (see the ridiculous spike in Brady's numbers this year).

I think Ben's year this year is more impressive, given the lack of a gamebreaking WR, than Palmer's year was in 2005 (2400 yards and 16 TD's between CJ and TJ). But that is just my opinion.

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='613840' date='Dec 25 2007, 09:43 PM']Ben played from behind quite a bit last year as well.... but around these parts(not saying YOU,... just in general)... he sucked... he wasn't trying to make something out of nothing.[/quote]

It is called denial. They just cant admit that Ben is a more successful QB than Palmer. Palmer may be more "talented", but talent alone doesnt win you ball games....ask Ryan Leaf (and no I am not saying Palmer = Leaf).

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='613840' date='Dec 25 2007, 09:43 PM']Apparently you forgot my first post on the subject. A few around here, yourself included have made remarks about this being a down year for Carson "by his standards". My point is... he has no standard. In 4 years as a starter he's had two up years (one good one great) and two down years (One bad and borderline bad/average).

Ben played from behind quite a bit last year as well.... but around these parts(not saying YOU,... just in general)... he sucked... he wasn't trying to make something out of nothing.[/quote]

he also had a running game last year, we have had I think (im not going to look it up) two games of over 100 yards and both were against bad defenses.

Archived