Secret Wal-Mart Sale Includes $99 HD DVD Player

Jamie_B

[quote name='GoBengals' post='593367' date='Nov 14 2007, 11:03 PM']there is going to be a $199 blu ray for xmas...[/quote]

Where, wal mart?

I wish I would have seen this damn thread when the sale started! $100 for an HD DVD player is like paying $10,000 for a brand new 7 series BMW...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='584153' date='Nov 3 2007, 11:46 AM']Yikes I didnt even think about that possiblity that it wouldnt. I meant that I would probabally upgrade the DVDs I already have to a better quality so I could have a better enjoyment and experience.[/quote]
What about one of those "upconvert" DVD players? Does that work ok or not? I've never seen one in action so I'd be curious if anyone has experience with one.
Do HD-DVD or Blu-ray players have that functionality built-in?

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='599318' date='Nov 25 2007, 08:53 PM']What about one of those "upconvert" DVD players? Does that work ok or not? I've never seen one in action so I'd be curious if anyone has experience with one.
Do HD-DVD or Blu-ray players have that functionality built-in?[/quote]

one of what? :huh:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='599327' date='Nov 25 2007, 07:01 PM']one of what? :huh:[/quote]

I'm guessing you are asking about upconverting. I'm not totally versed, but apparently there are regular dvd players with the ability to 'upconvert' regular dvd to a higher resolution so they don't look like shit on a kick ass 1080 tv. (On a side note: those can be found for kind of cheap 60 bucks at radio shack...my dvd's look good on my new tv, but again I'm not trying to watch them on a 50+ inch TV)

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='599318' date='Nov 25 2007, 08:53 PM']What about one of those "upconvert" DVD players? Does that work ok or not? I've never seen one in action so I'd be curious if anyone has experience with one.
Do HD-DVD or Blu-ray players have that functionality built-in?[/quote]

I have an HD upconverting DVD player.

It works like this:
It compresses to 720 resolution (from 480 I believe).
My TV is a 1080 resolution, so the 720 is the lower of the HD resolutions (but the HD you see on most channels.
A real HD DVD player sends the resolution out at 1080, so you get the highest HD picture possible.

The HD upconverter is nice though, much better than a regular DVD player.

[quote name='big_dish' post='599410' date='Nov 26 2007, 01:37 AM']I have an HD upconverting DVD player.

It works like this:
It compresses to 720 resolution (from 480 I believe).
My TV is a 1080 resolution, so the 720 is the lower of the HD resolutions (but the HD you see on most channels.
A real HD DVD player sends the resolution out at 1080, so you get the highest HD picture possible.

The HD upconverter is nice though, much better than a regular DVD player.[/quote]

Yeah, I have an upconvert also and the pic is MUCH better than standard DVD player on my HDtv but not quite like HD or Blu ray

[quote name='GoBengals' post='584347' date='Nov 3 2007, 10:06 PM']they changed their mind... right before dreamworks and paramount or whoever signed exclusive deal with HD DVD...[/quote]

No they didn't...

Blockbuster chose to expand Blu Ray to 1450 new stores in America. HD DVD is still offered in the original 250 stores and online netflix thing they've got...thus the reason you can find HD DVD movies at the link you provided.

Archived