Secret Wal-Mart Sale Includes $99 HD DVD Player

Jamie_B

Blu-ray!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20071101/tc_zd/218575;_ylt=AoEolbZEj93qpZyJzZHDLTwjtBAF"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20071101/tc_zd/...ZyJzZHDLTwjtBAF[/url]

[quote]Wal-Mart is holding a "secret" sale on Friday with some big deals for tech enthusiasts, including a $99 HD DVD player from Toshiba.

The Wal-Mart secret sales site forwards to a "holiday.ri-mart.com" domain, but company officials contacted Thursday confirmed the site was legitimate.

Five products are being offered at discounted prices: the Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player for $98.97; a Sanyo 50-inch plasma HDTV for $998; an Acer laptop with 1 Gbyte of RAM for $348; selected HD DVDs for $14.96; and a Fisher-Price NASCAR ride-on toy for $144.72.

Typically, the holiday season starts on "Black Friday," or the day after Thanksgiving. But a Wal-mart spokesman said that there was no reason to hold to a fixed date. "Basically what it is is that we don't think that shoppers need to to wait until after Thanksgiving to receive low prices," he said. "We're Wal-Mart, and we're about saving shoppers money."

The discounted HD-DVD player may have an effect on holiday sales of next-generation DVD players, locked in a brutal war with the rival Blu-ray format. Sales of Blu-ray discs have outsold their HD DVD competitors for most of 2007. Last month, Toshiba indicated that it would push freebies at buyers in an attempt to sway them to the HD DVD format, which it helped develop.

The sales will be pat of "special Christmas shops," Wal-Mart said.[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='583299' date='Nov 2 2007, 08:28 AM']Blu-ray!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20071101/tc_zd/218575;_ylt=AoEolbZEj93qpZyJzZHDLTwjtBAF"][url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20071101/tc_zd/...ZyJzZHDLTwjtBAF"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20071101/tc_zd/...ZyJzZHDLTwjtBAF[/url][/url][/quote]

in all seriousness, i would be willing to bet that toshiba/hd dvd had something to do with the early sales, as blu ray likely will have deals for black friday too, if hd dvd captures much of the hd market over the next two months, it could truely spell the beginning of the end for blu ray...

[quote name='whodey24k' post='583369' date='Nov 2 2007, 02:19 PM']so when is the thing going to be onsale? I need a new dvd player anyway.[/quote]
Should be on sale in the store today.

[url="http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret"]http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret[/url]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='583335' date='Nov 2 2007, 09:40 AM']in all seriousness, i would be willing to bet that toshiba/hd dvd had something to do with the early sales, as blu ray likely will have deals for black friday too, if hd dvd captures much of the hd market over the next two months, it could truely spell the beginning of the end for blu ray...[/quote]

Were seeing a battle between Sony who owns the Blu-Ray pattens vs Toshiba who owns the HD-DVD pattens. The company that is most willing to "let others play" either by opening up the system to other companies or reducing the costs others intake in paying for the usage of the technology will win. The bests techology will not have anything to do with who wins. Remember VHS beat out Betamax.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='583433' date='Nov 2 2007, 11:13 AM']Were seeing a battle between Sony who owns the Blu-Ray pattens vs Toshiba who owns the HD-DVD pattens. The company that is most willing to "let others play" either by opening up the system to other companies or reducing the costs others intake in paying for the usage of the technology will win. The bests techology will not have anything to do with who wins. Remember VHS beat out Betamax.[/quote]

Betamax was better quality, but weren't the tapes only 1.5 hours?

I wish HD DVD or Blu Ray would just die already so I can buy one.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='583536' date='Nov 2 2007, 12:19 PM']Betamax was better quality, but weren't the tapes only 1.5 hours?

I wish HD DVD or Blu Ray would just die already so I can buy one.[/quote]

Dont remember, could be.

I hear you on that, I have ALOT of DVDs to replace so...

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='583536' date='Nov 2 2007, 12:19 PM']Betamax was better quality, but weren't the tapes only 1.5 hours?

I wish HD DVD or Blu Ray would just die already so I can buy one.[/quote]
You are correct, although I think it was less than 1.5 hrs. That was one of the things that killed Beta, since VHS was able to hold an entire full-length movie, video rental stores and movie studios favored the format.

Price is probably going to be the factor that kills blu-ray. Sony and Toshiba seem to have learned from the video tape wars and won't let the same thing happen.

There won't be a clear winner in the HD battle until more people have HDTVs. There's no reason to get an HD video player unless you have a TV to watch it on. The TVs are still priced out of many people's reach, although they are poised to break that barrier any day now.
The other problem is that HD is only beneficial on big TVs, and not everyone has the space for a big TV, so why buy one when SDTVs are practically being given away?

When HDDVD players are being sold <$100 and the cheapest Blu-ray player is still $400+, that puts HDDVD way ahead already. Sony better get their act together and stop acting like their shit don't stink, or their gonna lose out on this one, too. First the PS3, now Blu-ray.... I hope no one here has stock in Sony.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='583593' date='Nov 2 2007, 01:06 PM']You are correct, although I think it was less than 1.5 hrs. That was one of the things that killed Beta, since VHS was able to hold an entire full-length movie, video rental stores and movie studios favored the format.

Price is probably going to be the factor that kills blu-ray. Sony and Toshiba seem to have learned from the video tape wars and won't let the same thing happen.

[color="#FF0000"]There won't be a clear winner in the HD battle until more people have HDTVs. There's no reason to get an HD video player unless you have a TV to watch it on. The TVs are still priced out of many people's reach, although they are poised to break that barrier any day now.
The other problem is that HD is only beneficial on big TVs, and not everyone has the space for a big TV, so why buy one when SDTVs are practically being given away?[/color]

When HDDVD players are being sold <$100 and the cheapest Blu-ray player is still $400+, that puts HDDVD way ahead already. Sony better get their act together and stop acting like their shit don't stink, or their gonna lose out on this one, too. First the PS3, now Blu-ray.... I hope no one here has stock in Sony.[/quote]

And even then that wolnt happen untill HD is working like it should on your TV stations because noone will buy one only to not have the HD on your TV stations.

[quote name='whodey24k' post='583978' date='Nov 2 2007, 10:39 PM']i got one, a guy at work got 2. I won't get it untill next week, I'll give a full review when i hook it up.[/quote]

congrats

99 isnt bad, but then its also replacing all my dvds which would be too big of an investment when neither really looks to be a clear winner yet

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='584144' date='Nov 3 2007, 12:15 PM']congrats

99 isnt bad, but then its also replacing all my dvds which would be too big of an investment when neither really looks to be a clear winner yet[/quote]

my wife was worried about that too, it still plays regular dvd's. The biggest concern i have is that no one has HD dvd's available to rent.

[quote name='whodey24k' post='584151' date='Nov 3 2007, 12:39 PM']my wife was worried about that too, it still plays regular dvd's. The biggest concern i have is that no one has HD dvd's available to rent.[/quote]

Yikes I didnt even think about that possiblity that it wouldnt. I meant that I would probabally upgrade the DVDs I already have to a better quality so I could have a better enjoyment and experience.

[quote name='whodey24k' post='584345' date='Nov 3 2007, 10:49 PM']someone at work told me, that blockbuster signed a exclusive deal with blueray.[/quote]

[url="http://www.blockbuster.com/hd"]http://www.blockbuster.com/hd[/url]

they have 30 pages of movies, which is over 300 it seems..

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='584153' date='Nov 3 2007, 12:46 PM']Yikes I didnt even think about that possiblity that it wouldnt. I meant that I would probabally upgrade the DVDs I already have to a better quality so I could have a better enjoyment and experience.[/quote]
when u do that contact me. ill buy some of your old DVDs :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived