Bearcats Vs. Wildcats

All right everybody it’s that time of the year again. That special time where all of the actual productivity stops, where bracket pools dominate the offices, schools, and all other social groups. It’s that time where illegal gambling is temporarily overlooked, and the [color="green"][b]green beers[/b][/color] begin to flow. You guessed it folks, it is time for [color="blue"][b]MARCH MADNESS[/b][/color]. Now that many teams have been eliminated and in only a day the field of 65 will be narrowed down to a mere 32. With this brings the unfortunate divide of [color="orange"][b]Bengaldom[/b][/color], the division of Cats into north and south rivals. Those who are loyal to the [color="red"][b]Nasty Nati[/b][/color] and those rebels from the south that support [color="blue"][b]Kentucky[/b][/color] will soon face off in the ultimate stage. The NCAA Championship Tournament whose eventual winner will be declared the NCAA Basketball Champion. There is only one problem; a section of [b][color="orange"]Bengaldom[/color] [/b] must be sacrificed for the greater good.

The question is… who is it going to be, those loyal to the Nasty, or those rebels from down south.

[b][color="red"]University of Cincinnati[/color] vs. [color="blue"]University of Kentucky[/color][/b]
In the first game in several decades, which cat will survive to fight for the national title?

Guest oldschooler

[img]http://www.enquirer.com/bearcats/2004/03/10/maxiell10.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0401/25/usm01i.jpg[/img]

[color="red"]GO[/color] UC !!!!!

[img]http://www.allsports.com/ncaa/basketball/cincinnati/eye.gif[/img]

Bring on them Kensucky Mildcats !!!! :P

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//15.gif[/img]

here's my take:

as much as i'd like to see the bearcats pull out the win, i (unfortunately) don't see them pulling off the upset

i think that uc has at least the same amount of talent as most of the other teams out there, but they have not been able to put it together all year and i find it hard to believe that they would just suddenly get their shit together in the tourney, a tourney that the bearcats have traditionally fared very poorly in throughout the recent past

while i suspect that uk will eventually pull out the win i expect it to be a hard fought game that will remain close throughout

i wouldn't be surprised if uc got the win, but i doubt there ability to remain consistent, especially with jihad shooting a thousand 3's every game while only making 1 or 2

UK in a close finish...

[quote name='Nati Ice' date='Mar 17 2005, 06:09 PM']here's my take:

[b]as much as i'd like to see the bearcats pull out the win, i (unfortunately) don't see them pulling off the upset[/b]

i think that uc has at least the same amount of talent as most of the other teams out there, but they have not been able to put it together all year and i find it hard to believe that they would just suddenly get their shit together in the tourney, a tourney that the bearcats have traditionally fared very poorly in throughout the recent past

while i suspect that uk will eventually pull out the win i expect it to be a hard fought game that will remain close throughout

i wouldn't be surprised if uc got the win, but i doubt there ability to remain consistent, especially with jihad shooting a thousand 3's every game while only making 1 or 2
UK in a close finish...
[right][post="63952"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

UK only beat Eastern Kentucky by 8 points. The keys for UC will be guard play, effort on the boards and free throw shooting. In games where they put those 3 things together, they dominate. If UC comes out ready to play, they can beat them. Heck, they gave Wake a hell of a game.

bearcats will dominate the boards so that shouldnt be a problem

the issues i have are with the guards and there shooting %'s,
if its high they will win

free throws will only matter if it is close and late

i just dont see the guards and forwards shot %'s being high enough to win, but like i said im pulling for them and i know they can do it, i just dont think they will, due to the issues i already said and their tendency to blow it in the tourney

Guest bengalrick
basketball, especially college, is all about matchups...

[b]rondo vs. jihad[/b] ------ [color="blue"]rondo[/color] smokes jihad
[b]sparks vs. williams[/b] -- i hate to say it, but sparks has problems w/ long guards... [color="red"]white[/color]
[b]azukuke vs. white[/b] --- good night james white... [color="blue"]azubuke[/color]
[b]morris vs. maxiell[/b] --- [color="red"]maxiell[/color].
[b]hayes vs. hicks[/b] ------ close match here... hayes is our best defender, and hicks is good... this is a fun matchup... i'll say [color="blue"]hayes[/color], but i'm biased

bench for bearcats:
kirkland - great 6th man
moore
bright
lucas - these three are the only other guys that average over 10 minutes a game...

bench for wildcats:
moss
crawford
bradley
perry
thomas
carrier
alleyne

no question the bench goes to the [color="blue"]wildcats[/color]

UC - 74
UK - 82

I think I'll start by saying that here are two teams who IMHO are having only "above average" years, due to inconsistent shooting, youth and whatever...
Both squads play stifling defense, both teams have good coaching and players, talent-wise, both like to try to push the tempo for transition baskets...

I think UC and UK are almost mirror images of one another. I predict a defensive struggle, low-scoring affair where the team that actually manages about 40-44% shooting wins. I think it's a close game unless one or the other simply shoots lights out from the perimeter, which I think is more likely to happen for UK than UC.
The "In The Paint" battle will be VERY interesting...Maxiell is better than anyone KY has individually, but UK will throw a lot of bodies at Jason to get him some cheap fouls...if Hicks doesn't show up, UC will be done...on the flip side, Morris for UK is a solid, if young and foul-prone center himself, so I'm sure UC is going to go right at him to pick up fouls and to try to force UK to go small, benefiting Maxiell and Hicks...

My (relatively) unbiased attempt at objectivity gives the nod to the Wildcats due to their bench, something like 68-64....

Either way...I just don't see a blowout either way...may the best team win and good luck UC...you're going to need it...

On a side note, anyone trying to shoehorn the "barely beating EKU" logic into this argument needs a headcheck. Illinois only beat Dickinson by 12, and that was after FD hung with Illinois for most of the game. Parity is HUGE in the NCAA's now, throw in the emotions involved with smaller schools just being happy to make the tourney and playing with nothing to lose...and there you go.
A 2 seed beats a 15 by 8...the OVERALL 1 seed beats a 16 by twelve (and it wouldn't have even been that close except for garbage time at the end...)...and you have the makings for an exciting, unpredictable tournament.

have fun, boys and girls... :D

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Mar 18 2005, 12:14 AM']A 2 seed beats a 15 by 8...the OVERALL 1 seed beats a 16 by twelve (and it wouldn't have even been that close except for garbage time at the end...)...and you have the makings for an exciting, unpredictable tournament.

have fun, boys and girls... :D
[right][post="64087"][/post][/right][/quote]

That's why I love the tournament. Every year one or two 12's beat 5's. The only "given victories are 1's over 16's because a 16 has never won. I just wish I was in Vegas. I used to go every year for the NCAA's until I went back to school. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Mar 18 2005, 01:20 AM']Sean-

I admire your civility.  May the best team win, and may you still be willing to shake my hand and mutter "good game" as you head into your locker room with your head hung low.... :P
[right][post="64145"][/post][/right][/quote]

Nah...If we lose I'll be furious and blaming it on the refs! :blush:
Not really, but that's what my friends that are UK fans usually do. :D

UC by 30
96-66
:blink: :blink:

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://www.cincypost.com/sports/images/huggs030402.jpg[/img]

[b]2nd Guess

[color="red"]Bearcats 123[/color]

[color="blue"]Kensucky 45[/color]
[/b]