WEIGHT 265
40 TIME 4.75

[img]http://media.scout.com/media/image/37/378356.jpg[/img]

Rd. 2 Jonathon Goff MLB Vanderbilt
MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 6'4"
WEIGHT 240
40 TIME 4.70

[img]http://www.vanderbilt.edu/commodores/football/FB060909/images/AL21.jpg[/img]

Rd. 3 Dre Moore DT Maryland ----- Has the size and athleticism to play DE
MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 6'4"
WEIGHT 298
40 TIME 4.82

[img]http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/213247.jpeg[/img]

Rd. 4 Kendal Langford DE Hampton ----- A true 3-4 DE
MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 6'6"
WEIGHT 295
40 TIME 4.97

[img]http://www.nfldraftdog.com/images/Kendall-Langford.jpg[/img]

Rd. 5 Kirk Barton OT Ohio State
MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 6-6
WEIGHT 310
40 TIME 5.30

[img]http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/20/202161.jpg[/img]

Rd. 6 Dexter Jackson WR Appalachian State
MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 5-10
WEIGHT 185
40 TIME 4.35

[img]http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/apmegasports/200709011334488994741-pf.widec.jpg[/img]

Rd. 7 Joe Jon Finley TE Oklahoma
MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 6-6
WEIGHT 260
40 TIME 4.85

[img]http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1391868.jpeg[/img]

I like it for the most part, though I think OLB is a bigger need than MLB. Other than that, I like the players mentioned (that I know), though some seem out of place from what I've read. Dre Moore is a mid-second rounder at worst. Barton will be gone by round 4, Goff is probably a late second rather than an early second, and as you mentioned, Langford is suited for a 3-4, which we don't play.

• 2 weeks later...
Depending on what our D coordinator is going to change to going to use scheme wise:

If we go 3-4 I want Keith Rivers in the 1st
If we go 4-3 I want Vernon Gholston in the 1st

2nd Round I want Owen Schmitt FB WV and cut Jermei Johnsons over paid under used ass.

Both of these picks would bring a little toughness to both side of the ball....especially to our running game.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='619317' date='Jan 5 2008, 07:00 PM']Depending on what our D coordinator is going to change to going to use scheme wise:

2nd Round I want Owen Schmitt FB WV and cut Jermei Johnsons over paid under used ass.

Both of these picks would bring a little toughness to both side of the ball....especially to our running game.[/quote]

umm Owen will still be there in the 3rd, if not 4th.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='619324' date='Jan 5 2008, 07:21 PM']After that bowl performance I would'nt doubt he will be gone before we draft in the second...

Care to make a friendly wager on it??[/quote]

If he doesn't, I will. There is no way in hell Owen Schmidt goes in the top 40 picks. That's ridiculous.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='619324' date='Jan 5 2008, 07:21 PM']After that bowl performance I would'nt doubt he will be gone before we draft in the second...

Care to make a friendly wager on it??[/quote]

Its tempting to take that better. Considering Schmidt was a 4th rounder at best BEFORE that bowl game, I highly doubt he'll jump up to a second. Teams don't take fullbacks that high, especially since the fullback is a dying breed.

What do you have in mind?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='619317' date='Jan 5 2008, 07:00 PM']Depending on what our D coordinator is going to change to going to use scheme wise:

Both of these picks would bring a little toughness to both side of the ball....especially to our running game.[/quote]
I think you have that backasswards. Rivers has no place in a 3-4, and Gholston probably fits best in a 3-4.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='619728' date='Jan 6 2008, 06:21 PM']No way they move him to an OLB and he is way too small to be a DE in the 3-4.[/quote]
Are you serious? Gholston's best spot is at linebacker in a 3-4. If anything he's too undersized to be an end in a 4-3.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='619779' date='Jan 6 2008, 10:18 PM']tell that to freeney and mathis.[/quote]
I'm not saying he's too undersized to be a 4-3 end. What I was trying to say is that he's a better fit in the 3-4 at linebacker than in the 4-3 at end. Tigers Johnson says there is "No Way" they move him to linebacker, when clearly it's his best fit. You can't argue that.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='619784' date='Jan 6 2008, 10:35 PM']I'm not saying he's too undersized to be a 4-3 end. What I was trying to say is that he's a better fit in the 3-4 at linebacker than in the 4-3 at end. Tigers Johnson says there is "No Way" they move him to linebacker, when clearly it's his best fit. You can't argue that.[/quote]

Yeah, thats all we need is another David Pollack or Reinard Wilson. We have a good history of developing talent and helping players change position. :rolleyes:

IMHO doing this to Gholston would be another in a long line of major disasters. I stand by my analysis Gholston as an end in the 4 - 3 or Rivers as a LB in the 3 - 4.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='619851' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:36 AM']Yeah, thats all we need is another David Pollack or Reinard Wilson. We have a good history of developing talent and helping players change position. :rolleyes:

IMHO doing this to Gholston would be another in a long line of major disasters. I stand by my analysis Gholston as an end in the 4 - 3 or Rivers as a LB in the 3 - 4.[/quote]
Gholston was a linebacker in high school. That's what he was recruited to play. And I'm pretty sure I never said he couldn't play in a 4-3, I said he fits better in a 3-4.

You have never seen either one play have you? How does Rivers, a 230 pound outside linebacker with limited pass rush ability, fit in a 3-4? And Gholston, a 260 pound pass rushing athletic freak, not fit in a 3-4 at linebacker?

If we stay with the 4 - 3 Gholston would be our Dwight Freeney type of rush end who can also hold the point of attack in the rush game. This team can not afford to try and change another player to LB with all the history of disasters and lack of ability to develop talent in the front 7.

Rivers has already played and played well in the 4 - 3 in college. It stands to reason he could bring that attitude and fire to play the 3 - 4 in the pros. You know no better than I if he could excel in the 3 - 4 since he has never played in that defense.

Bottom line: The Bengals defense can not afford another "project" in changing Gholston's position. Keith Rivers. right now, is the best linebacker that is eligible for the draft.

For all the Sederick Ellis fans, can we really afford to take another player with a large injury history with the problems we already have.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='619876' date='Jan 7 2008, 09:45 AM']If we stay with the 4 - 3 Gholston would be our Dwight Freeney type of rush end who can also hold the point of attack in the rush game. This team can not afford to try and change another player to LB with all the history of disasters and lack of ability to develop talent in the front 7.

Rivers has already played and played well in the 4 - 3 in college. It stands to reason he could bring that attitude and fire to play the 3 - 4 in the pros. You know no better than I if he could excel in the 3 - 4 since he has never played in that defense.

Bottom line: The Bengals defense can not afford another "project" in changing Gholston's position. Keith Rivers. right now, is the best linebacker that is eligible for the draft.

For all the Sederick Ellis fans, can we really afford to take another player with a large injury history with the problems we already have.[/quote]
Oh I agree that Gholston would be a stud in a 4-3, but what I was addressing was you saying there was no way he could play linebacker. I didn't know that we were arguing what position he would play on the Bengals, because there's no question he would play end. A switch to the 3-4 ain't gonna happen.

Rivers has no place in a 3-4. He doesn't have the size, and it would be a waste of his ability. See Jonathan Vilma in New York.

Ellis has missed like 4 games in 4 years. Yeah he's had some really minor injuries, but you don't skip a player of his ability because they broke their ankle their freshman year of college.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='619991' date='Jan 7 2008, 02:16 PM']Oh I agree that Gholston would be a stud in a 4-3, but what I was addressing was you saying there was no way he could play linebacker. I didn't know that we were arguing what position he would play on the Bengals, because there's no question he would play end. A switch to the 3-4 ain't gonna happen.

Rivers has no place in a 3-4. He doesn't have the size, and it would be a waste of his ability. See Jonathan Vilma in New York.

Ellis has missed like 4 games in 4 years. Yeah he's had some really minor injuries, but you don't skip a player of his ability because they broke their ankle their freshman year of college.[/quote]

not to mention Chris Perry is living proof that they're injury history in college (he had none) doesn't necessarily predict how they'll fair in the NFL.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='619851' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:36 AM']Yeah, thats all we need is another David Pollack or Reinard Wilson. We have a good history of developing talent and helping players change position. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Instead of rolling your eyes go back and watch some games from the end of the '05 season. Even though Pollack missed all of training camp, missed some games with injury, and had to learn a new position he was still one of the best players on our defense down the stretch. He had 4 sacks in his last five games and had 8 tkls and a sack in the wildcard game. A player like that would completely transform our defense.

however if we do draft another "project" we need to make sure he doesn't miss any of training camp.

If we drafted Gholston and switched him to LB in a 4-3 I would be pissed. Pollack actually got more sacks lining up at DE than when he lined up at LB. It was Pollacks natural position and he created havoc there. Gholston was sick all season, every OSU game I watched he was consistently owning his man and getting pressure, I'd love to keep him stuck at DE. If we draft Gholston I might just go crazy, the guy is the freak of nature that you dream about. And it looks like hes still improving! Too much upside.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived