Belisle agrees to $1.25M deal

oldschooler

[quote][size=5][b]Belisle agrees to $1.25M deal [/b][/size]

From Shannon Russell:

Reds pitcher Matt Belisle will enter the starting rotation mix this spring knowing that he’s got a bit more financial security after agreeing to a one-year, $1.25 million contract with the team on Thursday.

Belisle, who went 8-9 last season with a 5.32 ERA, made $390,000 in 2007. He became arbitration eligible and asked for $1.65 million.

"He’s happy, we’re happy, and we’re looking forward to an even better year this year," said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky.

"It’s always good when you can avoid the arbitration process and settle a deal that makes both sides happy."

Belisle likely will follow Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo in the rotation.

Other players in the rotation mix include Homer Bailey, Edinson Volquez and left-hander Jeremy Affeldt.

Belisle started 30 games last season and pitched 177 2/3 innings. He gave up 26 home runs.
It was his first year as a starter after spending three years as a reliever.

Second baseman Brandon Phillips is the last Reds player left in arbitration.

The Associated Press contributed to this report[/quote]

[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2008/01/belisle-agrees-to-125m-deal.asp"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsi...o-125m-deal.asp[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Reds agree to terms with Belisle[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Right-hander will compete for spot in the team's rotation[/b][/size]
By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com

Right-hander Matt Belisle came to terms on a one-year, $1.25 million contract on Thursday, leaving second baseman Brandon Phillips as the team's only arbitration-eligible player still without a contract for 2008.
After earning $390,000 last season, the 27-year-old Belisle had originally asked for $1.65 million when he exchanged numbers with the Cincinnati ballclub back on Jan. 18. The Reds had countered with an offer of $1 million.

Belisle finds himself among a pool of Reds pitchers vying for a starting spot behind Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo, as the Reds prepare to begin Spring Training.

After working almost exclusively as a reliever during the previous two seasons, Belisle joined the starting rotation last season and posted a career high 177 2/3 innings in 30 starts. In those 30 starts, the right-hander went 8-9 with a 5.32 ERA and allowed 26 homers.

The transition from a starter to reliever wasn't always a smooth one for Belisle, however, as he picked up just three wins in his final 19 starts of the season.

In addition to the $1.25 million base salary he will earn in 2008, Belisle has incentives built in based on innings pitched that can raise that total by $100,00. The right-hander will earn an additional $25,000 for reaching 175, 185, 200 and 210 innings apiece.

With Belisle locked down for the season, Cincinnati can now turn its full attention to Phillips, who is also in his first year of arbitration eligibility. When arbitration figures were exchanged, Phillips and the Reds were $1.5 million apart. Phillips asked for $4.2 million, while the Reds made a $2.7 million offer.[/quote]

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080131&content_id=2361127&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=cin[/url]

[quote name='Jason' post='628977' date='Feb 1 2008, 06:50 AM']It's a fucked up world when a pitcher with a losing record and an era over 5 is worth over $1 million.[/quote]

Just think of it like this: we payed Milton a little over $1 million per win, so if Belisle registers 2 this year, it will be an improvement.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='629108' date='Feb 1 2008, 02:49 PM']Just think of it like this: we payed Milton a little over $1 million per win, so if Belisle registers 2 this year, it will be an improvement.[/quote]

Sometimes there's nowhere to go but up.

[quote name='Jason' post='628977' date='Feb 1 2008, 06:50 AM']It's a fucked up world when a pitcher with a losing record and an era over 5 is worth over $1 million.[/quote]

It's also fucked up when guys throw a 27 year old pitcher under the bus when he's only had ONE year as a starter pitcher

First season as a starter with more than 160 innings:

Harang - 161 innings pitched, 125 ks, 4.86 ERA, 1.43 WHIP

Belisle - 177 innings pitched, 125ks, 5.32 ERA, 1.44 WHIP

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='629313' date='Feb 2 2008, 11:25 AM']It's also fucked up when guys throw a 27 year old pitcher under the bus when he's only had ONE year as a starter pitcher

First season as a starter with more than 160 innings:

Harang - 161 innings pitched, 125 ks, 4.86 ERA, 1.43 WHIP

Belisle - 177 innings pitched, 125ks, 5.32 ERA, 1.44 WHIP[/quote]

Harang also had a winning record that year.

And I'm not "throwing him under the bus" I'm just saying...

[quote name='Jason' post='629367' date='Feb 2 2008, 03:07 PM']Harang also had a winning record that year.

And I'm not "throwing him under the bus" I'm just saying...[/quote]

I think you know enough of baseball, and especially the reds, that wins and losses of starting pitchers shouldn't matter much

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='629491' date='Feb 3 2008, 12:52 AM']I'm not saying he's Cy Young but a million is pretty fair for his production... and a bad defense does some funny things to a pitchers ERA[/quote]

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not saying he can't develop into a good pitcher. I'd love for him to have similar success as Harang. I just don't think what he did last season warrants that contract. Heck, he even has a losing record in the minor leagues.

Looks like I'm not the only one.

Marty, per Lance's blog:

[quote]Things heard
[b]Marty B. on Reds Hot Stove League[/b]
[b]On trading Josh Hamilton[/b]:
"He could go to Texas and hit 50 hr's and I would still have traded him. This team needs pitching and needed to find a spot for Jay Bruce. The fact is you couldn't count on Josh Hamilton"
[b]On signing catcher Paul Bako[/b]
"This team has cornered the market on catchers that can't hit
[b]On Matt Belisle saying he did some things well that pleased him in '07[/b]
[color="#FF0000"][b]"I'd like to know what he did well that pleased him"[/b][/color][/quote]

[quote name='Jason' post='630799' date='Feb 7 2008, 03:27 PM']Things heard
[b]Marty B. on Reds Hot Stove League
On trading Josh Hamilton:[/b]
"He could go to Texas and hit 50 hr's and I would still have traded him. This team needs pitching and needed to find a spot for Jay Bruce. The fact is you couldn't count on Josh Hamilton"
[b]On signing catcher Paul Bako[/b]
"This team has cornered the market on catchers that can't hit
[b]On Matt Belisle saying he did some things well that pleased him in '07[/b]
"I'd like to know what he did well that pleased him"[/quote]

God, I love Marty. :wub:

Archived