Any diebetics here?

akiliMVP

I was just recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, actually it was last June. I'm 23, in great health, exercise regularly, and the only family history of diabetes is my great great grandfather. I found out I had it after I lost about 15 pounds in 3 months for no apprarent reason and was pissing and drinking gallons of water a day. My mother in law had a blood checker and my blood sugar was over 600.

Just curious if anyone else has the disease and have any tips on what to eat, recipes and how not go insane while everyone is eating cake.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='632265' date='Feb 14 2008, 12:39 PM']I was just recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, actually it was last June. I'm 23, in great health, exercise regularly, and the only family history of diabetes is my great great grandfather. I found out I had it after I lost about 15 pounds in 3 months for no apprarent reason and was pissing and drinking gallons of water a day. My mother in law had a blood checker and my blood sugar was over 600.

Just curious if anyone else has the disease and have any tips on what to eat, recipes and how not go insane while everyone is eating cake.[/quote]

I am type 1 and have been for about 15 years. My advice is to look into getting an insulin pump. I have been on pump therapy for 10 years and it's the best decision I ever made. It gives you freedom to sleep in, skip a meal if you're not hungry, have an extra meal if you are, and generally live much as you did before getting diabetes. You have to check your blood often and wear a pager-like device on your belt, but it is worth it.

Check out this website:

[url="http://www.minimed.com/"]http://www.minimed.com/[/url]

Ask more specific questions if you have them.

PS be sure to trust your body. If you feel "low" or "high" trust your instincts. It could save your life or greatly improve your health.

[quote name='Actium' post='632271' date='Feb 14 2008, 01:44 PM']I am type 1 and have been for about 15 years. My advice is to look into getting an insulin pump. I have been on pump therapy for 10 years and it's the best decision I ever made. It gives you freedom to sleep in, skip a meal if you're not hungry, have an extra meal if you are, and generally live much as you did before getting diabetes. You have to check your blood often and wear a pager-like device on your belt, but it is worth it.

Check out this website:

[url="http://www.minimed.com/"]http://www.minimed.com/[/url]

Ask more specific questions if you have them.

PS be sure to trust your body. If you feel "low" or "high" trust your instincts. It could save your life or greatly improve your health.[/quote]
What are some good crunchy snack foods that won't raise my BS through the roof? I'm sick of peanuts.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='632265' date='Feb 14 2008, 01:39 PM']I was just recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, actually it was last June. I'm 23, in great health, exercise regularly, and the only family history of diabetes is my great great grandfather. I found out I had it after I lost about 15 pounds in 3 months for no apprarent reason and was pissing and drinking gallons of water a day. My mother in law had a blood checker and my blood sugar was over 600.

Just curious if anyone else has the disease and have any tips on what to eat, recipes and how not go insane while everyone is eating cake.[/quote]

My cousin has it, and he is vigilant about checking his blood and injecting insulin. He doesn't avoid sugary goodness like cake or pudding, but he limits the portions in accordance with what he can/does inject. He also eats a lot of between-meal snacks (mostly small portions of fruit) and of course he checks his blood around these, too. He's in his mid-60's, and I consider him to be very healthy.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='632275' date='Feb 14 2008, 01:49 PM']My cousin has it, and he is vigilant about checking his blood and injecting insulin. He doesn't avoid sugary goodness like cake or pudding, but he limits the portions in accordance with what he can/does inject. He also eats a lot of between-meal snacks (mostly small portions of fruit) and of course he checks his blood around these, too. He's in his mid-60's, and I consider him to be very healthy.[/quote]
I'm a hardcore slacker when it comes to checking it. I usually just go by how I feel. I can tell when it's high and when it's low or when it's good. I cheat often but in very small quantities.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='632273' date='Feb 14 2008, 12:48 PM']What are some good crunchy snack foods that won't raise my BS through the roof? I'm sick of peanuts.[/quote]

Seseme seed sticks? With the pump, you can just "dial up a bolus" if you want a snack that has carb value.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='632276' date='Feb 14 2008, 12:50 PM']The problem with an insulin pump is, I'm a cop, so I really won't have any place to put it on my belt while I'm at work.[/quote]

You can wear it underneath your uniform. They have a waist-band adapter (that I use at night) that would work nicely. They also have a "sporty" pack that can clip on something.

In your situation a waist-band would be the best bet I think.

Not sure if I can help but I have Gestational Diabetes and take 2 insulin shots a day...I screw up here and there with the times, sometimes
a little late, or early...just do your best. As far as snacking goes....I got sick of peanuts too so I would buy almonds & mixed nuts, pepperoni slices, cheese squares,summer
sausage, celery w/ cream cheese, peanut butter or blue cheese, ranch.....
pork rinds...(not real fond of them but they offer the crunch of a chip, BBQ flavor are OK)

We bought some cereal straws for my son and he did not like them so I have been eating one or two for a sweet fix and they
did not effect my sugar readings...

good luck!! ^_^

Dude do what ever you need to do to keep on top of it. My father is and the last 20 years has taken it's toll on him. First the kidney went,then he lost part of his right leg. Nov of 06 he developed a lump under his tongue and it was cancer. They did surgery and he made it thru that. However with the diabetes he has been fighting urinary infections and today he learned he has bone cancer.....nothing they can do. So take care of yourself anyway you can. -_-

I'm luckily on the other end. I have hypoglycemia. Oddly enough we're pretty much in the same boat as far as foods go. You can't eat a lot of sweets because it'll raise your BS levels. I can't eat sweets because they lower mine. May I suggest taking a look at The Low Blood Sugar Handbook. It is the opposite of what you have but like I said, the diet is pretty much the same.
MULLY

[url="http://tinyurl.com/2vs38j"]http://tinyurl.com/2vs38j[/url] <---link to Amazon.com

My wife is Type 1, so I've got a pretty good idea what you're going through. She's 30 and just got put on the kidney transplant list. So, StrayCat is right. Keep on top of it and don't take it for granted. The kidney problems can sneak up on you unexpectedly sooner than you think.

Good luck to you. The pump is probably the best thing you can do for yourself. You should find a way to wear it with your uniform.. If my wife can wear hers with a wedding dress, surely you can figure out a way to wear it with your uni.

Edit: And please watch your alcohol consumption. My wife got to the point of puking after a few margaritas and two buttery nipples this evening and I ended up having to call the paramedics.

Archived