Odom finalizing deal w/ Bengals!

[quote]Bengals land DE Odom
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM
E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us! | Click-2-Listen

Four days, two false starts on trades for the Bengals on defensive linemen. Then, finally, paydirt.

[b]The terms of the deal are five years, $29.5 million, with $11.5 million in guaranteed money, agent RIchard M. Rosa confirmed in an e-mail to the Enquirer.[/b]

Tonight, three days after they couldn’t close the deal on a trade for Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, the Bengals’ potential trade for Jets tackle Dewayne Robertson also broke down.

But the Bengals followed that by reaching an agreement on a five-year contract with free agent defensive end Antwan Odom, [b]the club announced at 8 p.m.[/b] Odom’s contract is worth a total of $29.5 million, with $11.5 million guaranteed money.

Odom had eight sacks in his first season as a starter for Tennessee in 2007, playing on the same line as Pro Bowl teammates Kyle Vanden Bosch and Albert Haynesworth. Odom also had a career-high 29 quarterback pressures.

Odom, 26, is four-year veteran who had nine tackles in four games in 2006, 31 tackles with two sacks in 16 games in 2005 and 21 tackles with two sacks in 16 games in 2004.

He replaces end Justin Smith, who left the Bengals as a free agent to sign Saturday with San Francisco.

Odom was supposed to fly Monday afternoon to Minneapolis to visit with the Vikings, agent Richard Rosa said, but the Bengals acted quickly to secure the Odom deal after the Robertson trade fell apart. The hang-up this time was believed to be Robertson’s refusal to re-negotiate the final two years of his Jets contract. He is due to make a base salary of $9.8 million in 2008 and $8.29 million in 2009, according to the New York Daily News.

[b]The Bengals will introduce Odom at a news conference at 10 a.m. today at Paul Brown Stadium.[/b]

Odom, the Titans’ second-round pick from Alabama in 2004, grew up poor on a shrimp boat in southern Alabama and is regarded as a high-character guy, albeit low-key personality in the locker room. [b]He is 6.feet.5, 274 pounds. Odom, who will be 27 in September[/b], overcame a knee injury that cut short his 2006 season to post his career year in 2007, when he started all 16 games.

If the Bengals stay in their four-lineman defensive scheme, Odom will line up opposite fellow end Robert Geathers, whose 3.5-sack 2007 season followed a 10.5-sack effort in 2006.

The Bengals have been considering a change to an alignment on defense that employs three defensive linemen and four linebackers, known as the 3-4.

In their efforts to land another defensive tackle, on Saturday and Sunday, the Bengals held talks with Hadley Engelhard, Robertson’s agent. In exchange for Robertson, the Bengals had agreed to send the Jets fourth- and fifth-round picks, the 114th and 151st overall, in April’s draft, according to the original report posted overnight Sunday on ESPN.com.

[b]Robertson visited Monday for a physical, and it and a new contract were not expected to be stumbling blocks in a trade that would bring Robertson back to the region where he starred at the University of Kentucky.[/b]

The Bengals declined comment on the Robertson trade talks.

Engelhard, Robertson’s agent, did not return phone messages or e-mail.

The sticking point apparently was the final two years of his contract. The Jets gave Engelhard permission to seek a trade because Robertson does not fit well as the nose tackle in the 3-4 defensive alignment used by Jets head coach Eric Mangini.
How that trade fell apart is far less convoluted than how the Rogers’ trade broke up.

According to story in Booth Newspapers throughout Michigan on Monday morning, the Bengals entered the bidding for Rogers after a deal between the Lions and Browns broke down.

Cincinnati and Detroit worked out a deal after 4 p.m., but because it wasn’t completed earlier Friday, the Lions remained responsible for paying the $1 million roster bonus due Rogers at 12:01 a.m. Saturday, Booth reported.

The Bengals agreed to pay the Lions $1 million, but Detroit would reimburse the Bengals if Rogers had failed his physical. The league rejected that provision because there was no language in the labor agreement that would allow for an accurate measure of salary cap space. According to Booth Newspapers, the Browns learned of the problems with the Bengals trade and swooped in to get a deal done.

Rogers agreed to postpone payment of the roster bonus, which removed that potential obstacle, and the Browns agreed to send their third-round pick and cornerback Leigh Bodden to the Lions for Rogers.[/quote]

[quote name='cantstop85' post='639473' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:43 PM']screw thinking about pollack noone even knows if he will play for sure
he could hit the wrong way one play and drop dead and die....just saying i love the guy n all tho[/quote]

I wouldnt say screw it but whatever we get from Pollack is now icing. It would be very nice if he came back and was a stud de in some sort of rotation. But now we are ok if he doesnt.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='639650' date='Mar 4 2008, 12:03 AM']I wouldnt say screw it but whatever we get from Pollack is now icing. It would be very nice if he came back and was a stud de in some sort of rotation. But now we are ok if he doesnt.[/quote]

Bookends thru 2012. Sounds good to me.

For everyone who thinks "OMG NO FREE AGENTS EVER WANT TO COME HERE, WE'LL NEVER PAY A GOOD FA", just remember that this guy, after franchise tags, was the best D-lineman FA available, and he came HERE, and decided to sign the contract without visiting anyone else. And we just gave $30M, $11 guaranteed to someone outside the franchise.

[quote name='Quaker' post='639705' date='Mar 4 2008, 07:08 AM']I don't get the BFD about Odom. Have to wait and see what he can actually do.[/quote]
This coming from the same guy that didn't get the BFD about Leon Hall when we took him last year.

And look what happened...an all rookie stud!!!

Carry on being a pessimist Quaker, it's a good omen.

[quote name='Quaker' post='639705' date='Mar 4 2008, 07:08 AM']I don't get the BFD about Odom. Have to wait and see what he can actually do.[/quote]

I don't know, he sounds almost identical to Geathers in style of play.

Guys who can play the strong or weak side equally well, have athleticism, can rush the passer, etc.

[quote][size=5][b]Former Titan signed to upgrade D-line[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Antwan Odom inks five-year deal, plans to ramp up the pressure for Cincinnati.[/b][/size]

By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Cincinnati Bengals finally cashed in with the signing of defensive end Antwan Odom on Monday night.

The unrestricted free agent from Tennessee signed a five-year, $29.5 million contract that includes $11.5 million in guaranteed money.

Even though the Bengals couldn't hammer out a trade for Jets defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, Odom upgrades the defensive line.

The 6-foot-5, 274-pounder from Alabama recorded 8.0 sacks for the 10-6 Titans in 2007. Odom, 26, fills the void created by Justin Smith's departure to San Francisco.

"I feel I can bring some pass pressure, and I also want to make a lot of tackles," Odom said. "I love the opportunity I have here, and I liked it that the Bengals are a family-type organization. My wife and I felt very comfortable when we visited over the weekend."

Odom played a key role in Tennessee's 16-10 playoff-clinching victory at Indianapolis on Dec. 30, sacking Jim Sorgi twice for minus-15 yards. He had three tackles and three quarterback pressures in the Titans' 35-6 loss at Cincinnati on Nov. 25.

Odom likely will start at right end opposite Robert Geathers. "Antwan is a young player who still has a tremendous upside," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "He has been productive, particularly with his pass pressure last year. He is a fine addition."[/quote]

[quote name='cms' post='639715' date='Mar 4 2008, 06:53 AM']a little something I found for ya'll....

[url="http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10636763/rss"]Pete Prisco[/url][/quote]

I'm happy with the signing but certainly not ecstatic. He is young and that's nice but in his three injury free years he he played in 16 games and never had over 2 sacks and last year, in his contract year, he did manage to get 8 but only had 20 something tackles? And that's with a pro bowl DT. Bustin was famous for making many of his tackles 5 yards downfield but he did make them. All I can say is our LB corp better be active.

Archived