Odom finalizing deal w/ Bengals!

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='639468' date='Mar 3 2008, 06:40 PM']not necessarily. I doubt they are looking for Pollack to be a starter. He'd be in a rotation with Odom, Geathers, and Rucker and/or draft pick.

Look at the Giants, they have Strahan, Tuck, Umenyiora, and Kiwanuka.[/quote]

Yeah. I guess the lack of news has me thinking the worst.

It was said he was cleared Friday, and doesn`t a Fast only last 3 days ?

[quote name='oldschooler' post='639477' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:46 PM']Yeah. I guess the lack of news has me thinking the worst.

It was said he was cleared Friday, and doesn`t a Fast only last 3 days ?[/quote]

'eh no news is good news. We don't know when his doctors appointment was, we only know that the media caught wind of the "clearance" on Friday. For all we know his doctors appointment was two weeks ago, he gave Marvin an answer last week, and the media just hasn't been told that answer yet.

[quote name='cantstop85' post='639473' date='Mar 3 2008, 06:43 PM']screw thinking about pollack noone even knows if he will play for sure
he could hit the wrong way one play and drop dead and die....just saying i love the guy n all tho[/quote]

If you don`t care about what I thought out loud, then don`t reply to my posts.

Anyway, he was cleared to play Friday. So he couldn`t drop dead and die any easier than any other players.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='639477' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:46 PM']Yeah. I guess the lack of news has me thinking the worst.

It was said he was cleared Friday, and doesn`t a Fast only last 3 days ?[/quote] realistically, they could be asking him to hold off on the announcement as it might affect their negotiations with FA's....one way or the other. there's really no value to the announcement becoming public at this time.

[quote name='bengaled' post='639483' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:53 PM']realistically, they could be asking him to hold off on the announcement as it might affect their negotiations with FA's....one way or the other. there's really no value to the announcement becoming public at this time.[/quote]

right, as long as marvin knows the answer, I can live with us not knowing yet.

If we are staying with the 4-3, I might go so far as to say we are likely set at DE. We have two solid starters in Odom and Geathers. We probably have Pollack who would be a great situational pass rusher. Then we have two bigger guys to rotate in and for short yardage type situations in Fanene and Rucker.

The two keys to improving the defense now are DT where we still need at least one guy and LB where we also probably still need at least one guy.

I'm not normally in favor of trading up in the draft, but if Ellis or Dorsey falls a bit, I would be all for trading up for one of them. There's just such a huge dropoff at DT after the top 2.

It's a decently deep LB draft and there should be somebody pretty good there in the middle of the second like E. Henderson or J. Mayo.

BTW, it was pretty obvious that with our early trade attempts, we were attempting if we could to line up two 3rd Rd (or a 3 and 4) compensatory picks for next year.

As it is, I suspect we'll get a 3rd (Justin) and then something for Landon (4 or 5 likely) depending on how big his contract ends up.

If we could have traded for a DLmen, we could have draft the other, and netted both picks. Oh well.

(That essentially means we traded a 4th Rd pick to no one for Odom's services, if you "count" the trades we had fall through)

[quote name='Penn St. Bengal' post='639432' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:00 PM']Thank the good Lord! Bengal fans needed a positive signing and this provides us with a solid bookend with Geathers (assuming we are going to play a 4-3). Who Dey!

Please don't let this one fall through.............[/quote]

I doubt that this one will fall through.F/A signings are easier to do than trades.Props to Mike.He got at least an even up deal for a Justin replacement for 16 million less or 9 million less guaranteed money. Odum's deal is close to a Geathers match.At todays prices we've got two good DE's at reasonable prices.

I hear that Robertson didn't want to negotiate a new contract.Not to smart.imo.He'll get cut in June and have to settle on a new contract for less money.If that happens the Bengals will at least have a shot at obtaining his services.In the meantime, we still need a DT.

[quote name='The Scales' post='639471' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:42 PM']I hope he can still be a force without the Big Meanie (haynesworth)[/quote]

Don't forget Kyle Van Den Bosch on the other end. I suspect that his #'s are a little skewed by his surrounding cast but he's the guy I wanted.Geathers @ 23-24 years old and Odum @26 .We got younger with no degredation of talent.Good deal all around. Now if we can get a killer DT in the draft our DLine will be set for at least four years.Time to draft a couple of good O Linemen.

[quote][size=5][b]Odom's first Bengal sack [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 3, 2008

Updated: 8:35 p.m.

Antwan Odom recorded his first sack as a Bengal Monday when he swooped in from Tennessee to give Cincinnati its first jolt in free agency.

Agent Rich Rosa confirmed the five-year deal Monday evening that borders on $30 million with more than $11 million guaranteed.

The Bengals pursued him so aggressively that Rosa said Odom and wife Brooke waited at the Greater Cincinnati Northern Kentucky Airport until the deal was done. The plane, bound for Phoenix and a visit with the Cardinals, left without them as the Odoms turned around to sign the deal and have dinner in Cincinnati before appearing at a 10 a.m. Tuesday news conference at Paul Brown Stadium.

"We love it here. It's a great place to raise kids," said Odom, who has four children. "I like Coach (Marvin) Lewis. He's like Coach (Jeff) Fisher. I like guys who are players' coaches and care about their players. It's a family organization."

Lewis hopes the 6-5, 274-pound Odom does for him what he did for Fisher last season. He rung up eight sacks in his first season as a starter and gives the Bengals another lean and athletic pass-rushing threat opposite left end Robert Geathers.

The move appears to keep the Bengals in a 4-3 defense with Odom ticketed to replace Justin Smith at right end and it helps take the sting out of the trades for defensive tackles Shaun Rogers and Dwayne Robertson that fell through.

"I know Geathers is a good player. I came out with him in the draft," said Odom, a second-rounder out of Alabama in 2004. "It's whatever. I feel like I can play in any scheme. I like a 4-3. It's a good defense to stop the run and you can get to the quarterback without having to use all the blitzes. I feel like I've got a quick, fast step."

Smith, who started there the past 107 straight games, signed with San Francisco over the weekend. With his eight sacks, the 26-year-old Odom did what Smith hasn't done since 2004 and did twice in seven years.

But Odom had some big help. Odom formed one of the NFL's more potent sack duos opposite Pro Bowler Kyle Vanden Bosch's dozen sacks in a year the Bengals finished last in the NFL in sacks per pass. Plus, Pro Bowl tackle Albert Haynesworth anchored the inside.

The Bengals are banking on the duo of Geathers, who had a career-high 10.5 sacks in 2006, and Odom to have the same kind of production while they continue to hunt for a dominating inside guy. There now appears to be a dearth of them in free agency and on the block, so the Bengals may have to turn to the draft.

They may be able to get advice from Brooke Odom. She's reportedly an avid football follower who likes to watch film with her husband and already had been a big fan of Geathers and defensive tackle Domata Peko.

"The Bengals made them feel welcome," Rosa said. "They felt comfortable there, enjoyed the visit and Antwan is really looking forward to playing for Coach Lewis."[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6670"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6670[/url]

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='639500' date='Mar 3 2008, 08:11 PM']BTW, it was pretty obvious that with our early trade attempts, we were attempting if we could to line up two 3rd Rd (or a 3 and 4) compensatory picks for next year.

As it is, I suspect we'll get a 3rd (Justin) and then something for Landon (4 or 5 likely) depending on how big his contract ends up.

If we could have traded for a DLmen, we could have draft the other, and netted both picks. Oh well.

(That essentially means we traded a 4th Rd pick to no one for Odom's services, if you "count" the trades we had fall through)[/quote]

Won't signing Odom offset losing Justin to some extent? I'm pretty sure the formula for compensatory picks takes it into account.

Good point about the advantage of trades versus free agents. It sounds like we still have a small glimmer with Robertson.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='639474' date='Mar 3 2008, 06:43 PM']yea IMO (or at least what I'd do), Fanene is a full-time DT, put a little weight on Rucker and make him the tweener, and still draft a DE. That gives you: Geathers, Odom, Pollack (?), and a draft pick at DE, with Fanene, Peko, Thornton, Myers/draft pick/free agent, and Rucker as your swing man.

That way, even if Rucker doesn't stay healthy, he's only your 5th option at each position (he'd also be your passing down DT).[/quote]

I agree - I think Fanene is a swing guy at DT in a 4-3 and 3-4 DE, like Thornton could be as well. As you indicate, Rucker can play some 4-3 DT, especially on the pass rush. He did already while here.

Even though Odom brings promise, I think the pass rush piece will continue to get attention. Hopefully, Pollack comes back - that would be huge... but even though he's in great shape, he's not in football shape, and hasn't had any collisions... so even if he comes back, not sure how he'll be, especially initially.

I look for the LB and DL to continue to get upgraded, along with RB and backup OL. And WR depth, especially with a return guy (if Tab doesn't come back) as well.

This is a good signing. Odom isn't that expensive. Kudos to the Bengals for getting it done and pulling him off the plane. We still have plenty of cap space to trade for Robertson if we have to.

Odom will probably cancel our comp pick for Justin instead of Madieu. We'll probably get a 4th or 5th for Madieu next year.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='639462' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:33 PM']I can`t help but think what this means for/about David Pollack.

If Odom is a pure 4-3 DE, then that would indicate that Pollack
isn`t going to play DE . . .[/quote]

if pollack comes back he won't start anyway

[quote name='oldschooler' post='639462' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:33 PM']I can`t help but think what this means for/about David Pollack.

If Odom is a pure 4-3 DE, then that would indicate that Pollack
isn`t going to play DE . . .[/quote]

I can see Pollack being used as a situational pass rusher to ease him back into the game....

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='639554' date='Mar 3 2008, 09:01 PM']Won't signing Odom offset losing Justin to some extent? I'm pretty sure the formula for compensatory picks takes it into account.

Good point about the advantage of trades versus free agents. It sounds like we still have a small glimmer with Robertson.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Madieu will be enough to offset Odom.

Their contracts were almost identical if I remember (Odom and Madieu), and it's all about contract, not position.

As I understand it, the compensatory formula adds the additions and substractions up in a pairing sort of way if you have a net loss.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='639638' date='Mar 3 2008, 10:29 PM']I'm pretty sure Madieu will be enough to offset Odom.

Their contracts were almost identical if I remember (Odom and Madieu), and it's all about contract, not position.

As I understand it, the compensatory formula adds the additions and substractions up in a pairing sort of way if you have a net loss.[/quote]

I follow you. If not for Odom, we'd have gotten two picks. Now, we only get one.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='639468' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:40 PM']not necessarily. I doubt they are looking for Pollack to be a starter. He'd be in a rotation with Odom, Geathers, and Rucker and/or draft pick.

Look at the Giants, they have Strahan, Tuck, Umenyiora, and Kiwanuka.[/quote]

Very good point...And it is a copycat league. I could see them rotating Pollack in situationally, and using Fanene/Rucker in other instances (as someone else posted).

BZ

Archived