Van Halen

STRAYCAT

I didn't go to the concert, but I did read about it Wednesday. Concert Review from the Enquirer for what it's worth.....

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008304230007"]Enquirer Van Halen Concert Review[/url]

[quote]Van Halen not the same
Concert review
BY CHRIS VARIAS | ENQUIRER CONTRIBUTOR

Van Halen has done what seems impossible. On this ill-fated tour, the band has made itself the most highly anticipated reunion act in rock, as well as the most anticlimactic one.

The story starts back to over 20 years ago and takes a weird twist last month.

Diehard followers of the quintessential American hard-rock band had been wishing for original lead singer David Lee Roth’s return to the fold since the day he left in 1985. When the return became reality last year and the band embarked on a full-scale North American tour, Cincinnatians waited for a local show.

A date was scheduled last month at U.S. Bank Arena but then canceled a couple days ahead of time, along with a seven-week chunk of the tour. The reason was said to be something vague about Eddie Van Halen’s medical issues. The guitarist had previously been in and out of rehab. He had some bad shows before the cancellations. Conclusions were drawn.

The band fulfilled the makeup date Tuesday before a very full if not sold out arena. But for such a big audience, there was a noticeable lack of buzz for the better part of the two-hour show. For that, you have to blame the band.

Blame Roth, who clearly still has the will to be a showman’s showman. But this is not 1980, and he’s now 53, and bejeweled suit coats and matching top hats will dazzle a crowd only so much. Gone is his mane of hair – which once whipped through the air with every fluid roundhouse kick – replaced by a two-tone bowl cut. It’s a bad look. And, bless his heart, but those roundhouse kicks now have a little hitch in them.

Blame Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie’s son and the band’s new bassist. Granted, he is only 17, but he still should have known better. This tour should be a reunion of the original Van Halen, and Michael Anthony, the original bassist, should be a part.

“Three scoops original, one scoop inevitable,” is how Roth described the ’08 lineup to the crowd. It’s a clever line, but it’s still a shame Anthony was aced out. That said, the young Van Halen played his bass parts very well, even if he didn’t add anything else to the overall performance.

His uncle, drummer Alex Van Halen, is the one guy who escapes blame. He sounded great and didn’t miss a note.

The same can be said for his brother Eddie, as far as hitting notes and sounding good. This was the third show back from the canceled dates, and it appears he has battled back whatever he was dealing with, judging by his masterful technical ability on guitar. There were several close-up shots of his playing beamed onto a giant video screen to the back of the stage, and he didn’t mess up under the scrutiny.

But his act was completely one-dimensional. He basically planted himself on one spot of the stage all night and didn’t seem bothered about working the crowd. Roth’s attempts to engage him came off as phony and fell flat. If Eddie was having a good time, it was hard to tell.

So as the band was failing chemistry, it was up to the song selections to carry the night. The set was filled with a ton of non-hits from classics like the 1978 debut self-titled album (“Atomic Punk,” “I’m the One,” “Ice Cream Man”); 1979’s “Van Halen II” (“Somebody Get Me a Doctor”); 1980’s “Women and Children First” (“Romeo Delight”); and 1981’s “Fair Warning” (“Mean Street,” “So Is This Love?”).

People presumably bought tickets to hear and see classic-era Van Halen. But those deeper album cuts from the good old days failed to ignite the crowd. Instead, it was the more obvious tracks that did the trick. Three in particular, all huge hits from the epic album “1984” went over particularly well: “Panama,” “Hot for Teacher” and the encore tune “Jump.”[/quote]

[quote name='esjbh2' post='656964' date='Apr 25 2008, 10:58 AM']I didn't go to the concert, but I did read about it Wednesday. Concert Review from the Enquirer for what it's worth.....

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008304230007"]Enquirer Van Halen Concert Review[/url][/quote]
Was that ass hat even there. I don't think so. So tell me how many bands from that era are still going beside the stones......not many. Living the life they did...how can you even say shit how they sounded. So David didn't wear the same hair style...so what...he is grown up and if you saw him do the intro to icecream man you can see that. Opinions are like assholes... <_<

[quote]The set was filled with a ton of non-hits from classics like the 1978 debut self-titled album (“Atomic Punk,” “I’m the One,” “Ice Cream Man”); 1979’s “Van Halen II” (“Somebody Get Me a Doctor”); 1980’s “Women and Children First” (“Romeo Delight”); and 1981’s “Fair Warning” (“Mean Street,” “So Is This Love?”).[/quote]

:cry:

I went and thought it was Awesome!!

EVH can still ROCK!!! Best rockin guitar player EVER!!!

I thought the vocals and the background vocals were excellent!

Wolfgang did a good job.

Is it me or does Alex VanHalen look like one of those cavemen on the geico commercial?!?!?!

:rsju31uh9: :rsju31uh9: :rsju31uh9: :rsju31uh9:

:lol: :P

Overall I thought it was an great concert!! Very LOUD!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='657383' date='Apr 25 2008, 10:35 PM']The set was filled with a ton of non-hits from classics like the 1978 debut self-titled album (“Atomic Punk,” “I’m the One,” [b]“Ice Cream Man”[/b]); 1979’s “Van Halen II” (“Somebody Get Me a Doctor”); 1980’s “Women and Children First” (“Romeo Delight”); and 1981’s “Fair Warning” (“Mean Street,” “So Is This Love?”).

:cry:[/quote]

wasnt that Master P?

:ninja:

I saw Van Halen Friday night in Charlottesville, VA (part of the rescheduled tour, they were at Verizon Center in DC in November).

There was an opening act. Ryan Shaw was the opening act. He wasn't half bad, his band had a few cover songs but mostly original material.

It was loud throughout, although the place wasn't sold out, it was close. It was hard to hear some of the vocals throughout, and Roth kept asking whomever was on the soundboard to fix it but that never happened. There were lighting effects used as well throughout, and each person in the band had their chance to do their individual thing without anyone else there. That was cool to see, but I felt went a little too long. The encore was big surprise "Jump". Confetti came from the roof.

[quote name='Go Skins' post='662994' date='May 5 2008, 10:43 PM']I saw Van Halen Friday night in Charlottesville, VA (part of the rescheduled tour, they were at Verizon Center in DC in November).

There was an opening act. Ryan Shaw was the opening act. He wasn't half bad, his band had a few cover songs but mostly original material.

It was loud throughout, although the place wasn't sold out, it was close. It was hard to hear some of the vocals throughout, and Roth kept asking whomever was on the soundboard to fix it but that never happened. There were lighting effects used as well throughout, and each person in the band had their chance to do their individual thing without anyone else there. That was cool to see, but I felt went a little too long. The encore was big surprise "Jump". Confetti came from the roof.[/quote]
:o

Where did they play in C'ville?

I miss living there. <_<

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='662996' date='May 5 2008, 08:50 AM']:o

Where did they play in C'ville?

I miss living there. <_<[/quote]

John Paul Jones Arena - the arena that just opened 2 years ago to replace University Hall.

[quote name='Go Skins' post='663014' date='May 6 2008, 12:03 AM']John Paul Jones Arena - the arena that just opened 2 years ago to replace University Hall.[/quote]
Sweet. Haven't had a chance to see the new place yet. I knew U-Hall pretty well though. Did they tear it down?

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='663107' date='May 5 2008, 01:04 PM']Sweet. Haven't had a chance to see the new place yet. I knew U-Hall pretty well though. Did they tear it down?[/quote]

A friend of mine has a sister that goes there so I had to check with him - they did not tear U-Hall down, they use it for volleyball and things of that sort.

[quote name='Go Skins' post='664472' date='May 11 2008, 04:24 AM']A friend of mine has a sister that goes there so I had to check with him - they did not tear U-Hall down, they use it for volleyball and things of that sort.[/quote]
Thanks for checking. :)

The place was hardly ideal for basketball games, with the sideline seats about 50 feet from mid-court, but I do have some fond memories of the place. I'm kind of glad it's still standing. -_-

Archived