Jocketty hasn't talked Jr. trade

Jason

[quote][b][size=3]Jocketty hasn't talked Jr. trade[/size]
GM says Griffey told him he'd like to stay with Reds[/b]
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

Jay Bruce might be the hottest hitter on the planet. His bat is ready for the big leagues. [b]The only thing preventing a call-up is the Reds don't have a spot for him to play.[/b]

Trading Ken Griffey Jr. would open a spot.

But despite all the speculation, a Griffey trade isn't close to happening.

"I've had no trade discussions," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said.

Jocketty has talked to Griffey about the situation. As a player with 10 years' experience and five years' tenure with his current club, Griffey must approve any trade.

"I've talked with him," Jocketty said. "Not knowing Junior that well, I wanted to make sure we had a line of communication open. He assured me that he'd like to play here and hopefully win a championship."

Bruce might force the issue with the way he's playing. He went 3-for-3 with a double, triple and home run for Triple-A Louisville in an 11-6 win over Scranton Wednesday. He's hitting .667 with three home runs and nine RBI over his last five games. He's hitting .611 over his last 10 games, raising his average to .366, tops in the International League.

If the Reds had a spot, it sounds like he'd be up already.

[b]"The main thing is you've got to make sure you've got enough playing time," Jocketty said. "I don't think we feel comfortable that we have the adequate playing time.[/b] At some point, we just have to do it."

The Reds are keeping a close watch on Bruce.

"Believe me, it hasn't gone unnoticed," Jocketty said. "We have so many good left-handed-hitting outfielders, we have to see what would be the best time to bring him up. At some point, you just do it."[/quote]

Um, centerfield?

I'll take Jay Bruce over Corey Patterson.

Anyone else?

we've waited this long, we might as well wait until June 1st to get him for an extra year...he isnt gonna make or break the team the next 2 weeks if he was called up so why not wait the two weeks? I think him not making the team opening day gauranteed he would be in AAA till June 1st barring injury.

If the starting outfield by June 5th doesnt have Jay Bruce in it I'll be pissed/shocked.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='666018' date='May 15 2008, 11:49 PM']we've waited this long, we might as well wait until June 1st to get him for an extra year...he isnt gonna make or break the team the next 2 weeks if he was called up so why not wait the two weeks? I think him not making the team opening day gauranteed he would be in AAA till June 1st barring injury.

If the starting outfield by June 5th doesnt have Jay Bruce in it I'll be pissed/shocked.[/quote]
Yeah. Except that good teams regularly will make this kind of move, damn the torpedoes and to hell with a player that gets pissed about being replaced.
Dunn or Griffey could ride pine or be forced by mgmt to drop the occaisonal bunt down against the shift.
Fuck, if we're paying Stanton millions not to play, what's paying Griffey to do the same?
It's not going to hurt attendance, that's for sure. There were like 14,000 people at the game last night.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='666023' date='May 16 2008, 01:05 AM']Yeah. Except that good teams regularly will make this kind of move, damn the torpedoes and to hell with a player that gets pissed about being replaced.
Dunn or Griffey could ride pine or be forced by mgmt to drop the occaisonal bunt down against the shift.
Fuck, if we're paying Stanton millions not to play, what's paying Griffey to do the same?
It's not going to hurt attendance, that's for sure. There were like 14,000 people at the game last night.[/quote]

If bruce is as good as we think he'll be, you'll be happy in 5 years we waited the extra two weeks when we have him for another year instead of going through arbitration and shit. Then again if he is as good then hopefully we just give him some 10 year big money deal to keep him around forever.

Archived