Rivers Rollin'

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='685081' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:33 PM']It's got nothing to do with being in "my world". All I'm saying is that these guys are right, it's a business, and Chad has every right to get his nut as much as the next squirrel. The situation is exactly the same. Rivers held out to get paid and if he does it now it should be interesting when contract negotiations come up if he's really an impact player. I've got not problem with it, more power to 'em. All I'm saying is that 85 didn't deserve to be crucified for it.
MULLY[/quote]

except Chad already had 30 million "nuts" coming to him. Can't believe you can't grasp that simple fact.

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals hope Rivers is a linebacker who sticks[/b][/size]
John Clay
Herald-Leader Sports Columnist

GEORGETOWN — Maybe Keith Rivers will stop the streak of Bengal busts.

Maybe Marvin Lewis will catch some good luck for a change with his linebacker choice, his first-rounder, the No. 9 overall pick who finally got the Bat signal from his agent that an agreement had been reached, the holdout was over, and the former Trojan could travel from Cincinnati to Georgetown College and pull on the pads.

“I'm ready to rock and roll,” declared Rivers.

This was Wednesday, after the Bengals' morning practice, their first with No. 58. Truth be told, Rivers did little. But he was here. In uniform. In pads. After a nearly two-week absence, the rookie from Southern Cal was ready to go.

“The expectations for him are high,” said linebackers coach Jim Fitzgerald. “And I really feel like they can be met in a short period of time.”

There were high expectations for David Pollack in 2005. Pollack was the first-rounder out of Georgia, a high-energy college defensive end converted to pro linebacker. Pollack sparkled briefly before a neck injury caved in his career.

There were high expectations for Odell Thurman. He was the Bengals' second-round pick out of Georgia the same year as his college teammate Pollack. Thurman rocked as a rookie, only to hit the personal rocks thereafter. Suspended for 2006 and 2007, Thurman was re-instated, cut, suspended again.

There were high hopes for Kevin Hardy and Landon Johnson and Ahmad Brooks and Caleb Miller, all promising linebackers to play for Lewis in Cincinnati, all without approaching the same success Ray Lewis experienced under Lewis in Baltimore.

This isn't to say Rivers is Ray Lewis. But he's big (6-foot-2, 241 pounds) and fast with highlight capabilities. He's smart, too, having completed his degree at USC in the off-season.

“It's generally true that guys who have already graduated from college when they get to the NFL are more successful here and in life,” said Lewis yesterday. “That's because they've taken care of business on the field and off the field.”

Best of all, the Bengals will ask Rivers to play the same position he played all four years in college, weak-side linebacker.

“There's different terminology,” said Rivers. “But basically it's the same.”

He also said he had been antsy in Cincinnati waiting for his deal to be done, being one of two first-round holdouts — Jacksonville's Derrick Harvey the other.

He said he received text updates from ex-Trojan teammate Frostee Rucker, from fellow rookie Pat Sims, defensive lineman John Thornton, “and Carson (Palmer) hit me up once,” said Rivers.

“I'm bummed I missed out on the bonding time,” he said.

“(Tuesday night) he was just excited to be in camp and with the guys in the room,” said Fitzgerald.

And so is the linebackers coach, a 15-year vet who has never had a first-round linebacker. “Not as a rookie,” he said.

And what of the rookie's replacement? What of Brandon Johnson, the third-year outside backer from Louisville, signed as a free agent after playing two seasons with Arizona. First week, Johnson was a training-camp terror.

“He's doing a great job, as I knew he would,” said Rivers, who worked with Johnson in mini-camps.

“To tell you the truth,” said Johnson on Monday before the rookie's arrival, “I'm tired of being asked about Rivers.”

“I think it's worked out really well for everybody,” countered Fitzgerald. “It's not like Brandon is going on the shelf. The bottom line is, the best three linebackers are going to be on the field, no matter who they are.”

In the past, the ones the Bengals thought might be best didn't work out that way.

Maybe Keith Rivers will change that.[/quote]

[url="http://www.kentucky.com/285/story/482315.html"]http://www.kentucky.com/285/story/482315.html[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Holdout to standout[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]For top draft pick, belated first day in camp is a solid one[/b][/size]
By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • August 7, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - Of the previous first-round holdouts in recent Bengals history, linebacker David Pollack, tailback Chris Perry and quarterback Akili Smith didn't seem to recover as rookies from the missed days of training camp.

But linebacker Keith Rivers, who signed late Tuesday to end a 10-day absence, might be the exception.

He might prove to be holdout-proof.

Rivers hit the field twice Wednesday for practice to rave reviews from coaches and teammates.

Despite the strong showing of backup outside linebacker Brandon Johnson early in camp, coaches say they expect Rivers to regain his starting spot and possibly play in the preseason opener Monday night at Green Bay.

"He'll catch up very quickly and assume the opportunity very quickly," head coach Marvin Lewis said.

In spite of missing 10 days and 12 practices, Rivers looked that good Wednesday morning.

"He looked like he's been working out, he looks like he's in fair shape right now," linebackers coach Jeff FitzGerald said. "We cut his reps a little bit; we let him run with the second bunch to get filled in a little bit. He remembers. He's got a good memory. He took good notes; he did a good job in spring."

Rivers slid back into the position he had played for four seasons at Southern Cal and where the Bengals had placed him in the spring. The idea was to simplify his transition from college ball to the NFL. Pollack, a defensive end in college at Georgia, was trying to learn to play outside linebacker for the first time as a pro.

"It's pretty similar, just a little different terminology," Rivers said his role with the Bengals compared to his job at Southern Cal.

Rivers, who arrived at camp and signed his deal Tuesday night, was on the field before 9 a.m. Wednesday.

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said he saw Rivers make only one mistake. Rivers knew better.

It was more than one.

"I feel like there are a few plays I wasn't up to speed on, but that's what my night time is for, for studying and getting in my book and getting ready to go," Rivers said.

Since being selected as the ninth overall pick of the draft, Rivers finished his college studies. He completed the one class he needed to earn his public policy degree at Southern Cal.

Anecdotally, NFL players who complete their college degrees do better in the game, according to Lewis.

"They have taken care of business both on the field and off the field," he said. "They have a higher success rate with anything they touch in life, and I think Keith will be one of those players."

Rivers had moved to Cincinnati prior to camp opening July 27. He worked out during the day and studied at night. He kept in contact with teammates John Thornton, Frostee Rucker, Carson Palmer, Pat Sims and others about the installation process at camp.

The wait was difficult but worth it. Just 22 years old, Rivers clearly understands the business side of the NFL.

"Practice is everything, missing the first meeting was missing too much time," he said. "At this level, it's a business and I had to let things run its course."

Agent David Dunn said the contract is for five years, but in reality it is a six-year deal that voids the final season if Rivers meets incentive clauses, which would allow him to enter unrestricted free agency earlier. The Bengals' Web site listed the contract value at $23 million.

Fellow linebacker Dhani Jones said no player would criticize Rivers for taking care of finances before getting on the field.

"There is a certain business side of football that comes into play, and no one is going to fault him for taking care of his business," Jones said. "Like he said in the paper, 'It's time to move forward and move forward fast,' and I can respect that. How did he look? I don't know. ... He's smart. He's aware. He's not a first-round draft pick for nothing."

The whirlwind nature of the settlement - negotiations had stalled through the weekend - didn't overwhelm Rivers. He appeared to be completely focused on the task at hand at practice. In coach-speak, the experience wasn't too big for Rivers.

"When you play at a fine institution like (Southern Cal, Rivers' alma mater), they breed individuals who understand pressure and can apply pressure," Jones said. "They are smart football players who understand the game and know how it is to be played."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080807/SPT02/808070354/1066/rss07"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0354/1066/rss07[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Going camping: Keith Rivers[/b][/size]
Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:16 AM

[b] Keith Rivers[/b]
Bengals linebacker
Vitals: 22 years old, 6 feet 2, 241 pounds

Last season: A standout at Southern California and the ninth overall draft pick

This season: Starting outside linebacker, provided he can overcome missing 10 days because of a contract holdout

Linebacker Keith Rivers made his first mistake at the start of his first practice with the Cincinnati Bengals, and his teammates let him know it.

Rivers, who signed a five-year contract late Tuesday night and joined the team yesterday at training camp, did the wrong exercise -- jumping jacks -- at the end of calisthenics, drawing a round of boos from teammates.

"It shows I haven't been here for a while," Rivers said. "I forgot how that rolls. Hopefully, next time I'll get that right."

He ran drills with the second-unit defense, playing behind third-year player Brandon Johnson.

"He looked like he did last time I saw him," said coach Marvin Lewis, who last saw Rivers during a mandatory minicamp in June. "We'll see how we go through the week and see whether we play him, or how much. Unless I can find something major, I expect him to play (against Green Bay Monday)."

He remained in Cincinnati throughout his holdout, using his free time to study the playbook, work out and keep in touch with teammates via text-messaging. Rivers said he contacted teammates such as fellow linebackers Dhani Jones and Dan Howell to stay informed on different defenses that were installed each day.[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/08/07/camping07.ART0_ART_08-07-08_C3_C6AV891.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101&title=Goingcamping:KeithRivers"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sport...ing:KeithRivers[/url]

[quote]According to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com, first-round pick Keith Rivers made an impact in his first day of practice.

[b]Morning take:[/b] Book it now: Keith Rivers will be Cincinnati's starting outside linebacker in week one[/quote]

[url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth[/url]

Archived