MP3 Player Advice

sois

Hi Guys, I've got a hella drive this weekend and was looking to get an mp3 player. Is iPod the clear front runner? I basically want something I can plug in (or use a transmitter) and use for a long car drive.

Features needed to have:
- Album Art (I spend DAYS getting this working correct)
- Playlists
- Big Capacity (I have 20 GB of songs)
- Replay Gain (probably not likely)

Any suggestions?

[quote name='sois' post='722082' date='Nov 6 2008, 02:18 PM']Hi Guys, I've got a hella drive this weekend and was looking to get an mp3 player. Is iPod the clear front runner? I basically want something I can plug in (or use a transmitter) and use for a long car drive.

Features needed to have:
- Playlists

Any suggestions?[/quote]

LOTR, Harry Potter?

iPod has a stranglehold on the market. Zune, in my opinion, only makes sense if you know other people with Zunes. I'd just get the iPod Classic if I was you. It's $250, but 120gigs. Should hold all of your music/movies/etc...

[quote name='mongo' post='722176' date='Nov 6 2008, 09:53 PM']iPod has a stranglehold on the market. Zune, in my opinion, only makes sense if you know other people with Zunes. I'd just get the iPod Classic if I was you. It's $250, but 120gigs. Should hold all of your music/movies/etc...[/quote]

agreed

the touch is cooler, but far less space for more money.

[quote name='sois' post='722082' date='Nov 6 2008, 04:18 PM']Hi Guys, I've got a hella drive this weekend and was looking to get an mp3 player. Is iPod the clear front runner? I basically want something I can plug in (or use a transmitter) and use for a long car drive.

Features needed to have:
- Playlists

Any suggestions?[/quote]

I would say that iPod is the clear front-runner. There is a little bit of added cost, for buying an apple product, but you get so much for it.

Album art fucks everybody who illegally downloads music, both WMP and iTunes do some downloading of music that misses it (from what I can tell) but it is often missing. There are programs for both that'll help there.

As far as the sync program go, I don't know what Zune uses (I assume WMP), but iTunes is better in my opinion for syncing. Anyway, if you can remember to plug in your iPod everynight, just like your phone, you'll be happy in the morning with new Podcast you subscribed too (free music and talk shows, or subscription based.)

Although playing music off of your computer and such I much prefer WMP. So I would give WMP the nod for playlists which I assume goes to Zune.

While you can use the iTunes store to buy music for either setup.

I wouldn't waste time with any low end SanDisk type MP3 players. I'd say Zune, iPod, or just stick with your phone if it's got a microSD on it and you don't want to spend money.

Replay gain I'm not sure I know what your talking about. I assume you mean how loud it is when using something besides headphones. I think they're going to be equal on that though, because nothing handheld to my knowledge has any substantial amplification. I have experience iPod having trouble with my sound system at work far more than my phone. Apparently iPod says you should put the volume at 90% or so when doing that. But, my iPod works just like my phone in my car, so I wouldn't put much stock in this category.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='722268' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:36 AM']Album art fucks everybody who illegally downloads music, both WMP and iTunes do some downloading of music that misses it (from what I can tell) but it is often missing. There are programs for both that'll help there.[/quote]

Um, you can just add the artwork to any music in itunes. Select an album then options and add artwork. You can just download the album cover off the internet and then add it.

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='724723' date='Nov 16 2008, 09:17 PM']Um, you can just add the artwork to any music in itunes. Select an album then options and add artwork. You can just download the album cover off the internet and then add it.[/quote]

Yes, I'm aware. My point was that there are some programs that do it a lot better. Because while you can manually do it, it's cumbersome, as is editing tags in general in iTunes and WMP.

I can't remember the website, but I read an article about the options in PC mag. Albumart.org is where they suggested you DL art from if I remember correctly.

Can't remember the program they suggested.

Archived