All Time Favorite Bengals Head Coach

Head Coach Poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your all time favorite Bengals head coach?

• Paul Brown
    • Forrest Gregg
    • Sam Wyche
    • Marvin Lewis
    • Other - specify in a post

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='738863' date='Jan 10 2009, 09:08 AM']Apparently my opinion is shared by the majority of posters here--if you don't believe me, check the survey results. I'm just sorry you are too young to remember when the Bengals were a a respected team around the NFL and a threat to be in the playoffs every year, when the 'B' word had not been invented, and Mike Brown hadn't turned this franchise into a laughingstock with his inept management.[/quote]

True. The Bengals weren't a great Franchise back in the 80s, but respectable. The 90s dug them in such a hole it's one I don't think they'll ever get out of.

Of course if the Bucs, Colts, and Aints can so can the Bengals, I guess.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='738863' date='Jan 10 2009, 09:08 AM']Apparently my opinion is shared by the majority of posters here--if you don't believe me, check the survey results. I'm just sorry you are too young to remember when the Bengals were a a respected team around the NFL and a threat to be in the playoffs every year, when the 'B' word had not been invented, and Mike Brown hadn't turned this franchise into a laughingstock with his inept management.[/quote]

Exactly right. This is why I take a hard line toward Mike Brown. I remember when the Bengals were consistently good. Even during the 70's when the Steelers won 4 superbowls, they had a fight on their hands every time they came to Riverfront. I remember one game in 76 the pipes were frozen, bathrooms were a mess. Franco Harris ran for over 100 yards in the first half to extend his steelers record for consecutive 100 yard games. Bengals defense held him to negative yards the second half and ended up breaking his streak.

I voted Wyche and it doesn't surprise me that he's got the most votes because after all he was a fan's coach. Since the poll asked for FAVORITE coach, then it was an easy decision for a fan like me. He had a lot of team talent to coach, especially the Super Bowl team and was fun/cool or whatever.

If the question was phased to ask who I thought was the BEST or MOST TALENTED coach, or got the most out of their teams talent, which is arguably the gauge of coaching talent, then I would have voted Brown, then Gregg, then Marvin.

[quote name='Jason' post='738671' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:40 PM']The 20th anniversary thread got me thinking about this.

There are 4 most likely options, but you never know, someone may have loved Bruce Coslet. :ninja:/2[/quote]
Paul Brown, how can you go against the Bengals founder, legendary, and hall of fame coach?

Archived