Moving Computer Files Question

Bunghole

OK, I have a new machine that's pretty clean, I'm getting ready to give it a better HD monitor and surround sound, all of which I already have, I just need to move the tower downstairs and hook everything up, and I got to thinking...

...my old PC has my Limewire music on it, and there are a lot of songs I'd rather not download again. In the hope of saving time, I ask...can I just install Limewire on this PC and import the old music files into the Vista machine from the XP one? I have a thumbdrive (thinking it's maybe not big enough) and a Seagate extrenal drive. Can I move the "my music" or whatever the file is called from Limewire on the old machine to the new one flawlessly?

I believe that I can, and could probably figure it out by trial and error, but I'm looking for someone with a definite answer, preferably someone that lives in or near Las Vegas...

:)

[quote name='Bunghole' post='749904' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:09 PM']OK, I have a new machine that's pretty clean, I'm getting ready to give it a better HD monitor and surround sound, all of which I already have, I just need to move the tower downstairs and hook everything up, and I got to thinking...

...my old PC has my Limewire music on it, and there are a lot of songs I'd rather not download again. In the hope of saving time, I ask...can I just install Limewire on this PC and import the old music files into the Vista machine from the XP one? I have a thumbdrive (thinking it's maybe not big enough) and a Seagate extrenal drive. Can I move the "my music" or whatever the file is called from Limewire on the old machine to the new one flawlessly?

I believe that I can, and could probably figure it out by trial and error, but I'm looking for someone with a definite answer, preferably someone that lives in or near Las Vegas...

:)[/quote]

yes, drag the music folder to the external drive.. then to the new pc.. its actually just that simple.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='749906' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:15 PM']yes, drag the music folder to the external drive.. then to the new pc.. its actually just that simple.[/quote]
I thought it would be but I wanted to be sure before I tried it, plus I thought there might be a conflict between the OS's.

Click and Drag for Dummies...thanks GoBengals and Bill Gates.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='749909' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:18 PM']I thought it would be but I wanted to be sure before I tried it, plus I thought there might be a conflict between the OS's.

Click and Drag for Dummies...thanks GoBengals and [s]Bill Gates[/s] Steve Jobs and Xerox.[/quote]

FIFY

Oh, and don't forget to give Vista approval to move the files...

:ninja:

[quote name='Elflocko' post='749924' date='Feb 26 2009, 11:14 PM']FIFY

Oh, and don't forget to give Vista approval to move the files...

:ninja:[/quote]

lol, thats the FIRST thing i turned off on vista..

tho i was slightly sadden to have to tye in my password to allow X to install programs i deliberately downloaded and clicked the install on..

but whatever.. <_<

I disabled the UAC but Vista keeps "making me secure" by asking a lot of fucking questions! "Are you SURE you want to do this?" . "Unknown publisher!", "Your security settings are making my operating system's butt chafe" and so forth.

What's the fix for this? Apparently I have only partially resolved this problem. Otherwise Vista 64-bit is great. I LOVE watching the retro clock in the upper-right corner of the screen.

Alternately, here's a great rock band video about heroin use:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='749936' date='Feb 26 2009, 11:49 PM']I disabled the UAC but Vista keeps "making me secure" by asking a lot of fucking questions! "Are you SURE you want to do this?" . "Unknown publisher!", "Your security settings are making my operating system's butt chafe" and so forth.

What's the fix for this? Apparently I have only partially resolved this problem. Otherwise Vista 64-bit is great. I LOVE watching the retro clock in the upper-right corner of the screen.

Alternately, here's a great rock band video about heroin use:

[/quote]

all of it stopped when i turned off the account whatchamacallit.. google it.. "stop annoying vista prompts"

should yield many million answers for ya..

[quote name='Bunghole' post='749904' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:09 PM']I believe that I can, and could probably figure it out by trial and error, but I'm looking for someone with a definite answer, preferably someone that lives in or near Las Vegas...

:)[/quote]

I do not think I have the expertise to help you ;)

Archived