Bengals mock

- Both tackles will probably be gone so we trade down with Denver (#12) for 2nd round pick (#48)

[u]First round - pick 12 (from Denver)[/u]
[b]OT Michael Oher, Mississippi[/b]: Despite all the criticism this offseason he has four years of high quality tape in college and all the physical tools to be a dominating NFL tackle.

[u]Second round - pick 38[/u]
[b]C Alex Mack, California[/b]: Best center in the draft who will anchor the line for years to come.

[u]Second round - pick 48 (from Denver)[/u]
[b]OLB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati[/b]: Not my first choice for strong side linebacker because he is so raw and not that great against the run. He is a great pass rusher though and can play end or linebacker depending on the situation.

[u]Third round - pick 70[/u]
[b]RB Rashad Jennings, Liberty[/b]: Big back with speed. Also a good blocker and receiver. Not the perfect compliment for Benson but two power backs with speed will wear defenses the hell out.

[u]Third round - pick 98 (compensatory)[/u]
[b]MLB Gerald McRath, Southern Miss[/b]: Athletic linebacker to groom behind Dhani. A bit undersized (231) but he has the frame (6'2) and time to pack on an extra 10 pounds. Could also play weak side if they decide Rivers is the future at mike.

[u]Fourth round - pick 106[/u]
[b]DE Henry Melton, Texas[/b]: Raw but supremely athletic player who is similar to Geathers when he was drafted. Will at least be a give us a speedy threat on the outside when one of the ends needs a rest.

[u]Fifth round - pick 142[/u]
[b]FB Tony Fiammetta, Syracuse[/b]: In the end I don't think they will be willing to give Kuhn the kind of money needed because he's not worth it. Great run and pass blocker who can also be an extra receiver.

[u]Sixth round - pick 179[/u]
[b]CB Cary Harris, Southern Cal[/b]: Has good size but not great speed. Very physical in stopping the run and is kind of a free safety tweener that Zimmer said he likes. I know most people have us taking a punter here but I just don't think it will happen with Larson and now Plackemeier on the roster.

[u]Sixth round - pick 209 (compensatory)[/u]
[b]WR/PR Quan Cosby, Texas[/b]: Great punt returner and could also contribute as a slot receiver. Will fall due to size, age and elite timed speed.

[u]Seventh round - pick 215[/u]
[b]OG/OT Ramon Foster, Tennessee[/b]: Huge and can play right tackle or either guard spot. Great run blocker but not a good athlete.

I'm not even going to bother with the last two compensatory 7th round picks because I have no idea who to pick and they probably won't make the team anyway.

[u][b]Roster rundown:[/b][/u]
QB - Carson Palmer, J.T. O'Sullivan, Jordan Palmer
RB - Cedric Benson, [color="#FF0000"]Rashad Jennings[/color], James Johnson
FB - [color="#FF0000"]Tony Fiammetta[/color], Daniel Coats
WR - Chad Johnson, Laverunues Coles, Chris Henry, Andre Caldwell, Jerome Simpson, [color="#FF0000"]Quan Cosby[/color]
TE - Reggie Kelly, Ben Utecht
LT - [color="#FF0000"]Michael Oher[/color]
LG - Andrew Whitworth, Nate Livings
C - [color="#FF0000"]Alex Mack[/color], Dan Santucci
RG - Bobbie Williams, [color="#FF0000"]Ramon Foster[/color]
RT - Anthony Collins, Scott Kooistra

LE - Antwan Odom, [color="#FF0000"]Henry Melton[/color]
UT - Pat Sims, Orien Harris
NT - Domata Peko, Jason Shirley
RE - Robert Geathers, Frostee Rucker, Jonathan Fanene
WLB - Keith Rivers, Brandon Johnson
MLB - Dhani Jones, [color="#FF0000"]Gerald McRath[/color]
SLB - Rashad Jeanty, [color="#FF0000"]Connor Barwin[/color], Darryl Blackstock
CB - Leon Hall, David Jones
CB - Johnathan Joseph, [color="#FF0000"]Cary Harris[/color]
FS - Chris Crocker, Marvin White, Corey Lynch
SS - Chinedum Ndukwe, Kyries Hebert

K - Shayne Graham
P - Ryan Plackemeier
LS - Brad St. Louis

I'd be extremely happy with that draft.

Here are my thoughts...

Draft goes...
1 Stafford
2 J. Smith
3 Curry
4 Crabtree
5 Orakpo

6 LT Eugene Monroe falls to the Bengals, about half the mocks have him gone at this point, if Detroit doesn't pick Stafford he won't make it to #6...in which case Oher @ 12 with an extra 2nd round pick would be a lovely consolation prize

During the second round...the Patriots have 3 picks, and the Dolphins, Browns, and Giants have 2 picks each...

I'm going to trade Chad Johnson for NE's 34th and 58th pick in the second round pick, we'll hear the same shit after the Dillon trade, '[i]Bengals just handed the Super Bowl to the Patriots,[/i]' don't care...it's about making the team better in the long run

2a.[i]from Patriots[/i] Connor Barwin, SLB, like akili not my first choice, but I don't see Matthews dropping into the second round anymore, Barwin can rush the passer in place of Jeanty in passing situations starting Day 1 and hopefully be the starting SLB next season

2b. Max Unger, C/G, looked just as good if not better than Mack during the Senior Bowl against the same competition, I'd be happy with either

2c.[i]from Patriorts[/i] RB LeSean McCoy, Walter Football has him dropping this far in their mock, hopefully develops into what Chris Perry should have been, a steal this late

3a. DE/OLB Lawrence Sidbury, he can rotate off the edge with Geathers on passing downs, another guy who could possibly develop into a SLB (best case scenario SLB Sidbury, MLB Rivers, WLB Barwin next year)

3b. (comp) CB Asher Allen, starting nickel corner

4. MLB Jasper Brinkley, I don't expect him to start, but I expect him to be a quality back up in case of injury

5. FB Tony Fiammetta, a true fullback who can fill in nicely for Jeremi at a cheaper price tag than Tahi

6a. P Kevin Huber, hopefully Coach Simmons will teach this kid to not take like 17 steps when punting from his own endzone

6b. WR Mike Wallace/RB Antone Smith/etc...some fast guy who can return kicks

7a/b/c. Probably need some bodies for OL depth or ST...throw a dart

[quote name='St. Jude' post='759746' date='Mar 30 2009, 01:56 AM']6 LT Eugene Monroe falls to the Bengals, about half the mocks have him gone at this point, if Detroit doesn't pick Stafford he won't make it to #6...in which case Oher @ 12 with an extra 2nd round pick would be a lovely consolation prize[/quote]

I hope like hell that Monroe falls to #6. That gives us the opportunity to trade down to say 9 or 10, pick up a pick, and we're virtually guaranteed that either Monroe, A. Smith, or Oher are still there.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack you're thread akili.

I love the picks, but putting tradedowns into mock drafts has been a pet peave of mine going back many years. If you look back in the archives of last year and the year before, people always do it and it never happens.

Picks I really like:

Alex Mack in the second. He's extremely smart and has great character. just plug him in and he should be ready to go quickly and anchor the line for a decade.

Henry Melton in the 5th. A freakish athlete that I think is really underrated. Like Barwin in that he switched from O to D. Would love to take a flyer on him in the mid rounds.

Cary Harris in the 6th. I really trust our current D staff to find guys to fit what they want to do and I think Harris is a guy who could fit that bill. They could switch him to a nickle safety and i think he could really excel in that role. Smart guy and decent athleticism.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='759548' date='Mar 28 2009, 11:47 PM'][u]Fourth round - pick 106[/u]
[b]DE Henry Melton, Texas[/b]: Raw but supremely athletic player who is similar to Geathers when he was drafted. Will at least be a give us a speedy threat on the outside when one of the ends needs a rest.[/quote]

Love this guy, but you are taking him a full round or two too early. He is still a project at DE. For those of you that don't know Melton played RB his first two seasons at Texas. As a freshman he averaged 5.0 yards a carry and had 10 rushing TDs for the '05 National Championship team.

2008 was the first year he started at DE and he earned Honorable Mention All Big 12 despite still learning the position.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='764077' date='Apr 15 2009, 05:12 PM']Love this guy, but you are taking him a full round or two too early. He is still a project at DE. For those of you that don't know Melton played RB his first two seasons at Texas. As a freshman he averaged 5.0 yards a carry and had 10 rushing TDs for the '05 National Championship team.

2008 was the first year he started at DE and he earned Honorable Mention All Big 12 despite still learning the position.[/quote]
I think he'll go earlier than you think because of his size, athletic ability and potential. There are very few pure 43 ends in this draft.

Archived